Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Cannot "chmod" after account migration on openBSD. Post 302779667 by bakunin on Wednesday 13th of March 2013 07:20:28 AM
Old 03-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberking
Code:
chmod user1:user1 user1
chown: user is invalid: user1

Although user1 has been stored in /etc/passwd
Depending on the OS you are using there might be a shadow-file: "/etc/security/passwd" (AIX) or "/etx/shadow" (Linux), etc.. When creating/moving a user you should never just copy passwd-entries but use the respective utility: "useradd", "mkuser" or whatever your OS provides.

Just to be sure: you talk about "chmod" and "chown" intermixed. Which one do you have problems with?

I hope this helps.

bakunin

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chmod 777 on all directories below...how do I do that using the "find" command?

I've got 100 directories that each have 2 directories with in them. Structered like this: /home/domains/domain1/ through to /home/domains/domain100/ and those 2 directories mentioned above are here: /home/domains/domain1/directory1/ /home/domains/domain1/directory2/ through to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neko
7 Replies

2. BSD

comparable command in OpenBSD for linux's "passwd -l (name)"

i'm trying to get a samba server up and running. however, there is no argument in OpenBSD's "passwd" command that i know of that will allow the following: -l This option is used to lock the specified account and it is available to root only. The locking is performed by... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xyyz
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Chmod. "./" and "sh" difference

Hi. I am new to shell scripting. I am writing a simple sequential logic script. After completing the script, the instructions say "use the sh command instead of the chmod comand". Why didn't I have to use "chmod ugo+x scriptname",& then type ./ scriptname or just scriptname after using chmod?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ccccc
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

6. Solaris

Printer configuration Migration from Solaris 10 "LP" to Solaris 11 "CUPS"

Need to find a way to import an LP printers.conf file to CUPS. I have some new Solaris 11.1 boxes that need to have 300 printers added. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: os2mac
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
pwconv(1M)                                                System Administration Commands                                                pwconv(1M)

NAME
pwconv - installs and updates /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd SYNOPSIS
pwconv DESCRIPTION
The pwconv command creates and updates /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd. pwconv relies on a special value of 'x' in the password field of /etc/passwd. This value of 'x' indicates that the password for the user is already in /etc/shadow and should not be modified. If the /etc/shadow file does not exist, this command will create /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd. The command populates /etc/shadow with the user's login name, password, and password aging information. If password aging information does not exist in /etc/passwd for a given user, none will be added to /etc/shadow. However, the last changed information will always be updated. If the /etc/shadow file does exist, the following tasks will be performed: Entries that are in the /etc/passwd file and not in the /etc/shadow file will be added to the /etc/shadow file. Entries that are in the /etc/shadow file and not in the /etc/passwd file will be removed from /etc/shadow. Password attributes (for example, password and aging information) that exist in an /etc/passwd entry will be moved to the corre- sponding entry in /etc/shadow. The pwconv command can only be used by the super-user. FILES
/etc/opasswd /etc/oshadow /etc/passwd /etc/shadow ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
passwd(1), passmgmt(1M), usermod(1M), passwd(4), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
pwconv exits with one of the following values: 0 SUCCESS. 1 Permission denied. 2 Invalid command syntax. 3 Unexpected failure. Conversion not done. 4 Unexpected failure. Password file(s) missing. 5 Password file(s) busy. Try again later. 6 Bad entry in /etc/shadow file. SunOS 5.10 9 Mar 1993 pwconv(1M)