Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Cannot "chmod" after account migration on openBSD. Post 302779609 by cyberking on Wednesday 13th of March 2013 05:46:16 AM
Old 03-13-2013
[Solved] Cannot "chmod" after account migration on openBSD.

I copy home directory, file /etc/passwd, file /etc/group, file /etc/master.passwd
to the new server.

This is result of "ls/home" on the old server.
Code:
drwxr-xr-x   3 user1          user1                512 Aug  3  2012 user1
drwxr-xr-x  19 user2          user2               2560 Jan  9 09:24 user2

But This is result of "ls/home" on the new server.
Code:
drwxr-xr-x   3 root          wheel                512 Aug  3  2012 user1
drwxr-xr-x  19 root          wheel               2560 Jan  9 09:24 user2

I would like to change root:wheel to user1:user1

This is result of
Code:
chmod user1:user1 user1
chown: user is invalid: user1

Although user1 has been stored in /etc/passwd

Any idea?
Thank you in advance.

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment edit by bakunin: Please use CODE-tags.

Last edited by bakunin; 03-13-2013 at 08:13 AM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chmod 777 on all directories below...how do I do that using the "find" command?

I've got 100 directories that each have 2 directories with in them. Structered like this: /home/domains/domain1/ through to /home/domains/domain100/ and those 2 directories mentioned above are here: /home/domains/domain1/directory1/ /home/domains/domain1/directory2/ through to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neko
7 Replies

2. BSD

comparable command in OpenBSD for linux's "passwd -l (name)"

i'm trying to get a samba server up and running. however, there is no argument in OpenBSD's "passwd" command that i know of that will allow the following: -l This option is used to lock the specified account and it is available to root only. The locking is performed by... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xyyz
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Chmod. "./" and "sh" difference

Hi. I am new to shell scripting. I am writing a simple sequential logic script. After completing the script, the instructions say "use the sh command instead of the chmod comand". Why didn't I have to use "chmod ugo+x scriptname",& then type ./ scriptname or just scriptname after using chmod?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ccccc
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

6. Solaris

Printer configuration Migration from Solaris 10 "LP" to Solaris 11 "CUPS"

Need to find a way to import an LP printers.conf file to CUPS. I have some new Solaris 11.1 boxes that need to have 300 printers added. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: os2mac
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
userdel(1M)                                               System Administration Commands                                               userdel(1M)

NAME
userdel - delete a user's login from the system SYNOPSIS
userdel [-r] login DESCRIPTION
The userdel utility deletes a user account from the system and makes the appropriate account-related changes to the system file and file system. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -r Remove the user's home directory from the system. This directory must exist. The files and directories under the home directory will no longer be accessible following successful execution of the command. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: login An existing login name to be deleted. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. 2 Invalid command syntax. A usage message for the userdel command is displayed. 6 The account to be removed does not exist. 8 The account to be removed is in use. 10 Cannot update the /etc/group or /etc/user_attr file but the login is removed from the /etc/passwd file. 12 Cannot remove or otherwise modify the home directory. FILES
/etc/passwd system password file /etc/shadow system file contain users' encrypted passwords and related information /etc/group system file containing group definitions /etc/user_attr system file containing additional user attributes ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
auths(1), passwd(1), profiles(1), roles(1), users(1B), groupadd(1M), groupdel(1M), groupmod(1M), logins(1M), roleadd(1M), rolemod(1M), useradd(1M), userdel(1M), usermod(1M), passwd(4), prof_attr(4), user_attr(4), attributes(5) NOTES
The userdel utility only deletes an account definition that is in the local /etc/group, /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, and /etc/user_attr file. file. If a network name service such as NIS or NIS+ is being used to supplement the local /etc/passwd file with additional entries, userdel cannot change information supplied by the network name service. SunOS 5.10 8 Sep 1999 userdel(1M)