Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX TL upgradation for AIX machine. Need help Post 302779489 by MichaelFelt on Tuesday 12th of March 2013 06:04:33 PM
Old 03-12-2013
5300-00-00 is simply the first CD release. First time I saw it (with AIX 7.1 they ran as TL0 for quite a while). In the case of AIX 5300-00-00-0000 that was simply the first so-called gold code before it was actually available on the market. When it became GA there was also an extra CD with the first updates to bring it to ML01
(Note: did not use the terms TL or SP at that time)

And, as Bakunin mentioned, there is no benefit in doing the TL by TL. However, if you have a specific application requirement to be at TL6 - then you may want to test that. TL stands for Technology Level and there were some major changes at TL7 time (I believe that is what was parallel with AIX 6.1 release, just as AIX TL6 is parallel to AIX 7.1 TL0). In other words, there is some effort spent to simply migrating applications from a previous version of AIX to a newer version by back-porting.

Also interesting to remember: AIX 6.1 was going to be AIX 5.4. Only a few weeks before release of POWER6 hardware did they decide to change the major version number. AIX 7.1 was needed (in any case) to provide kernel support for more than 64 processors (i.e., 256 processors and 1024 logical CPU). For the larger part AIX functionality is uniform across specific TL pairs.

Hope this helps/clarifies AIX and updates/technology levels

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

how to up the aix machine when the desktop was hang

Hi all, My AIX machine desktop was hanged. What to do. please help me. It's very urgent. Thank's & regards, Balaraju. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: balarajum
7 Replies

2. AIX

PHP,Apache on AIX machine

I have done charts in PHP with following environment; 1) PHP 5.2.x 2) Webserver Apache 2.2.4 or higher 3) Perl 5.8.7 4) GD 2.0.1 5) JPgraph 2.1.1 It works fine in Windowx XP, Red hat linux 3.x.Now I need to move this PHP programs to AIX machine which has following environment: PHP 4.0.6... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarangopi
6 Replies

3. Solaris

Whether the upgradation of oracle DB needs upgradation of sun solaris also?

Currently we are using Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.4.0 in sun solaris 5.9 server. We wnt to upgrade the oracle database to 10.2g. My doubt is that " what are the implications of this database upgradation in sun solaris server" "whether we need to upgrade the sunsolaris 5.9... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshikrishnab
3 Replies

4. AIX

multiple instances of same vg on same AIX machine

hi, i am new to AIX and to this forum as well. Can you please help me out with following issue/requirement 1) I have one physical volume (pv1) (a scsi disk). (pv1) on 1st AIX machine. I have a single volume group on it(vg1). 2)I removed it from the 1st AIX machine and exported to the 2nd... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: navadeep
1 Replies

5. AIX

AIX 5.3 ML/TL upgradation

hi everybody, I want to apply the TL 5300-05. Presently TL is 5300-00. What steps i have to do while upgrading the maintenance level.??? Is it necessary to upgrade the firmware also?? If yes then my current firmware is Platform Firmware level is 3F050607 System Firmware level is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jit15975
3 Replies

6. AIX

How to Find if AIX machine is LPar or not

Hi, I want to know if there is any command which will tell me if an AIX machine is a LPar or not. I am using "lparstat -i" but it does not work on all AIX machines. Is there any generic command by whose output I will come to know if it is an LPar or not? Please help. Thanks, Vineet (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vineetd
3 Replies

7. AIX

AIX machine start-up problem

We have a AIX machine which was having problems while checking for additional ports. When restarted, it is showing the message "STDIN, STDOUT initializing.... Starting AIX...." on the console and then abruptly goes down. An error-code 0549 is appearing on the CPU display. I'm new to to AIX... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: revanth84
2 Replies

8. AIX

Cannot login into AIX machine. Forgot Password!

Hi, I cannot login to an AIX machine. The login mechanism was that we had disabled remote "root" logins. We have only one user that can access over SSH and that is "userabc". Probably have forgotten the password or it has expired. Is there a way to recover or login. I have the password... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixromeo
2 Replies

9. AIX

AIX on Virual Machine

Hello, could I install AIX on virtual machine on my desktop with Windows OS? If so how to do it? Thanks and regards, p (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pitmod
2 Replies

10. AIX

IBM Virtual Machine OS on intel x86 and x64? IBM AIX OS on IBM Virtual Machine?

Hi There, I have zero information and zero knowledge for IBM virtual machine except Amazon cloud and VMware ESXi (Only Linux OS available). Anyone could provide me the following answer - Can IBM VM been deploy on X86 and X64 (Intel Chip)? If answer is yes any chance to deploy AIX OS... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: chenyung
13 Replies
DH_SYSTEMD_START(1)						     Debhelper						       DH_SYSTEMD_START(1)

NAME
dh_systemd_start - start/stop/restart systemd unit files SYNOPSIS
dh_systemd_start [debhelperoptions] [--restart-after-upgrade] [--no-stop-on-upgrade] [unitfile...] DESCRIPTION
dh_systemd_start is a debhelper program that is responsible for starting/stopping or restarting systemd unit files in case no corresponding sysv init script is available. As with dh_installinit, the unit file is stopped before upgrades and started afterwards (unless --restart-after-upgrade is specified, in which case it will only be restarted after the upgrade). This logic is not used when there is a corresponding SysV init script because invoke-rc.d performs the stop/start/restart in that case. OPTIONS
--restart-after-upgrade Do not stop the unit file until after the package upgrade has been completed. This is the default behaviour in compat 10. In earlier compat levels the default was to stop the unit file in the prerm, and start it again in the postinst. This can be useful for daemons that should not have a possibly long downtime during upgrade. But you should make sure that the daemon will not get confused by the package being upgraded while it's running before using this option. --no-restart-after-upgrade Undo a previous --restart-after-upgrade (or the default of compat 10). If no other options are given, this will cause the service to be stopped in the prerm script and started again in the postinst script. -r, --no-stop-on-upgrade, --no-restart-on-upgrade Do not stop service on upgrade. --no-start Do not start the unit file after upgrades and after initial installation (the latter is only relevant for services without a corresponding init script). NOTES
Note that this command is not idempotent. dh_prep(1) should be called between invocations of this command (with the same arguments). Otherwise, it may cause multiple instances of the same text to be added to maintainer scripts. Note that dh_systemd_start should be run after dh_installinit so that it can detect corresponding SysV init scripts. The default sequence in dh does the right thing, this note is only relevant when you are calling dh_systemd_start manually. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) AUTHORS
pkg-systemd-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_SYSTEMD_START(1)