Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Problem with nmon, actual CPU usage per process Post 302778659 by -=XrAy=- on Monday 11th of March 2013 11:10:45 AM
Old 03-11-2013
Hi zaxxon,

NMON does not seem to work properly with the process option "-C" and recording mode "-f". It only shows the TOP processes.

If you specify a recording option "-f", the nmon process goes to background (init) and your command "time nmon -t -C cron -s 5 -c 2 -F outfile" returns immediately Smilie

The tprof command should work:

Code:
tprof -x sleep 15
grep "cron" sleep.prof

Code:
/usr/sbin/cron                            3   0.29   0.29   0.00   0.00   0.00
/usr/sbin/cron        7209028 12386355   0.12   0.12   0.00   0.00   0.00
/usr/sbin/cron        5111970 12845245   0.12   0.12   0.00   0.00   0.00
/usr/sbin/cron       12714162 17825889   0.06   0.06   0.00   0.00   0.00

Code:
Configuration information
=========================
System: AIX 7.1 Node: sradvu002 Machine: 00F6C66C4C00
Tprof command was:
    tprof -x sleep 15
Trace command was:
    /usr/bin/trace -ad -M -L 1073741312 -T 500000 -j 00A,001,002,003,38F,005,006,134,210,139,5A2,5A5,465,234,5D8, -o -
Total Samples = 1704
Traced Time = 15.01s (out of a total execution time of 15.01s)
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Process                                Freq  Total Kernel   User Shared  Other
=======                                ====  ===== ======   ==== ======  =====
wait                                     16  98.00  98.00   0.00   0.00   0.00
/usr/bin/perl                             3   0.76   0.23   0.00   0.53   0.00
/usr/sbin/cron                            3   0.29   0.29   0.00   0.00   0.00
/usr/sbin/syncd                           1   0.18   0.18   0.00   0.00   0.00
/usr/bin/ksh                              1   0.12   0.12   0.00   0.00   0.00
/usr/bin/sh                               2   0.12   0.06   0.06   0.00   0.00
/usr/bin/grep                             2   0.12   0.12   0.00   0.00   0.00
/usr/bin/sleep                            1   0.06   0.06   0.00   0.00   0.00
/usr/bin/tprof                            1   0.06   0.06   0.00   0.00   0.00
/usr/bin/hostname                         1   0.06   0.06   0.00   0.00   0.00
/usr/bin/trcstop                          1   0.06   0.00   0.00   0.06   0.00
/usr/bin/basename                         1   0.06   0.06   0.00   0.00   0.00
/usr/bin/printf                           1   0.06   0.06   0.00   0.00   0.00
/usr/bin/cut                              1   0.06   0.06   0.00   0.00   0.00
=======                                ====  ===== ======   ==== ======  =====
Total                                    35 100.00  99.35   0.06   0.59   0.00

.....SNIP....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Process CPU usage in Solaris 10

Hi All, Please let me know the command (expect top) to view the cpu usage of every process in Solaris 10. Thanks in Advance, Arun (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arun.viswanath
1 Replies

2. AIX

CPU usage of a process

I'm trying to monitor the CPU usage of a process and output that value to a file or variable. I know topas or nmon can tell me this in interactive mode but what I need is topas-looking output that allows me to write to a file after a discrete interval. Unlike nmon data collection to a file on top... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: robot23
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Finding CPU usage by a Unix Process

Hi, I am designing a load balancer for an application. I am trying to find out the CPU usage by a specifc Unix process (PID is known). I guess I can use ps command to find that. can somebody help me in finding what exact command I should use to find? It is on AIX 5.3. Regards Asutosh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asutoshch
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

process cpu usage

Trying to come up with a command that will show all processes sorted from highest cpu usage to lowest. Any ideas? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cwsmichigan
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

CPU Usage for a particular process

Hi, I have a shell script. But, upon execution of the same, the cpu usage is sometimes getting 100 % (checked executing top command). At that point of time, my process hangs, doesn't run anymore. I need to kill it manually. My concern is, is there any default method, by which I can check... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jitendriya.dash
1 Replies

6. AIX

How to trace cpu/memory usage for a process

I don't know when the process will start and end, I need write a script to trace it's cpu/memory usage when it is runing. How to write this script? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

CPU Usage of a process

Hi guys, I am currently writing a JAVA script to monitor certain unix processes through JConsole. Upon having lots of trouble with runtime.exec, i decided to bypass the top/ps command call and just get the information straight from /proc/*pid*/whatever. Now i can pull back any... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: matt9949
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Average CPU and RAM usage for a process

Hi, I will be creating a process myself and I want to know the average CPU and RAM used by the process over the lifetime of the process. I see that there are various tools available(pidstat) for doing , I was wondering if it possible to do it in a single command while creation. Thanks in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: koustubh
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tricky situation with process cpu usage - AIX

OS: AIX so we frequently receive a lot of cpu related alerts. all types of checks have been created to keep an eye on the cpu but a lot of these checks make too much noise as the CPU is always being seen as high. the system and application owners say there's no issue with the cpu. so now,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How can I check actual memory usage each Process?

I can't check actual memory usage in the Redhat 5.5... The used memory is 14214 Mb of Total 15919 by Free -m command. I sum the RSS value on PS aux command result and the value is 5428.66Mb. Yes It's quite different actual usage memory and RSS value. So I added Shared memory value... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tom8254
5 Replies
cron(1M)						  System Administration Commands						  cron(1M)

NAME
cron - clock daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/cron DESCRIPTION
cron starts a process that executes commands at specified dates and times. You can specify regularly scheduled commands to cron according to instructions found in crontab files in the directory /var/spool/cron/crontabs. Users can submit their own crontab file using the crontab(1) command. Commands which are to be executed only once can be submitted using the at(1) command. cron only examines crontab or at command files during its own process initialization phase and when the crontab or at command is run. This reduces the overhead of checking for new or changed files at regularly scheduled intervals. As cron never exits, it should be executed only once. This is done routinely by way of the svc:/system/cron:default service. The file /etc/cron.d/FIFO file is used as a lock file to prevent the execution of more than one instance of cron. cron captures the output of the job's stdout and stderr streams, and, if it is not empty, mails the output to the user. If the job does not produce output, no mail is sent to the user. An exception is if the job is an at(1) job and the -m option was specified when the job was submitted. cron and at jobs are not executed if your account is locked. Jobs and processses execute. The shadow(4) file defines which accounts are not locked and will have their jobs and processes executed. Setting cron Jobs Across Timezones The timezone of the cron daemon sets the system-wide timezone for cron entries. This, in turn, is by set by default system-wide using /etc/default/init. If some form of daylight savings or summer/winter time is in effect, then jobs scheduled during the switchover period could be executed once, twice, or not at all. Setting cron Defaults To keep a log of all actions taken by cron, you must specify CRONLOG=YES in the /etc/default/cron file. If you specify CRONLOG=NO, no log- ging is done. Keeping the log is a user configurable option since cron usually creates huge log files. You can specify the PATH for user cron jobs by using PATH= in /etc/default/cron. You can set the PATH for root cron jobs using SUPATH= in /etc/default/cron. Carefully consider the security implications of setting PATH and SUPATH. Example /etc/default/cron file: CRONLOG=YES PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/ucb: This example enables logging and sets the default PATH used by non-root jobs to /usr/bin:/usr/ucb:. Root jobs continue to use /usr/sbin:/usr/bin. The cron log file is periodically rotated by logadm(1M). FILES
/etc/cron.d Main cron directory /etc/cron.d/FIFO Lock file /etc/default/cron cron default settings file /var/cron/log cron history information /var/spool/cron Spool area /etc/cron.d/queuedefs Queue description file for at, batch, and cron /etc/logadm.conf Configuration file for logadm ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
svcs(1), at(1), crontab(1), sh(1), logadm(1M), svcadm(1M), queuedefs(4), shadow(4), attributes(5), smf(5) NOTES
The cron service is managed by the service management facility, smf(5), under the service identifier: svc:/system/cron:default Administrative actions on this service, such as enabling, disabling, or requesting restart, can be performed using svcadm(1M). The ser- vice's status can be queried using the svcs(1) command. DIAGNOSTICS
A history of all actions taken by cron is stored in /var/cron/log and possibly in /var/cron/olog. SunOS 5.10 5 Aug 2004 cron(1M)