Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Undestanding LANG setting in /etc/environment Post 302778151 by Aaron Boyce on Saturday 9th of March 2013 10:27:34 PM
Old 03-09-2013
Undestanding LANG setting in /etc/environment

Hi All,

We had issue with a application which reports process counts in log, application used to log process counts as Integer data type (1500).

One fine morning we started seeing process counts in application log as Decimal (1,500).

Our UNIX admin did investigate and figured-out that change in LANG setting in /etc/environment has caused application to log process counts in log as Decimal instead of Integer and was told that LANG was changed to en_US from C.

Here I am trying to understand why this should cause Integer values in log got changed to Decimal data type.

I would appreciate if anybody can help me to understand.

Thanks
Aaron

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting up Environment Variables

Hi all, I am trying to set up some variables in a shell script. The variables contain values of various paths needed to run a java module. The problem is the variables dont seem to be setting at all. here is what i am trying to do : JAR_HOME=/home/was5/bdcms/scheduledjobs/lib export... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpandey
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting the $LANG info needed

Hello (Very New to UNIX -Solaris 10) I'm trying to set the LANG variable to C but not sure if it's getting set, need some help on this. Currently I have it set to en_GB.UTF-8 I need to set it to C for an install. but when I run set LANG=C and then run echo $LANG its still set to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deedaz
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sudo environment setting?

Hi, first post. As the nick suggests I'm a Unix noob, but I'm doing everything I can to learn fast...job requirement. These forums have been a huge help so far. I have a server running HP-UX 11.23b with Apache/2.0.59 HP-UX_Apache-based_Web_Server. Apache is not installed in the default... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixnoob
3 Replies

4. Programming

Setting Environment variable..!

Hi, I already have one CPP program which invokes the C program.And the C program contains whole function definitions..!This is a working program..I have to enable the logs in both CPP as well as in the C program ..!So I am reading the enviornmental variable log path from the CPP and doing the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kattoor
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting up your environment

Hi I am new to Solaris and was just given my id and need to setup my environment, what do i need to do to run certain commands without putting in the complete path. How do I create my .profile, I do not see under my login? Any help would be greatly appreciated. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sa_ken
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with setting up environment variables

hi all, I would appreciate if some one could explain me the difference between setting up the variables as shown below HOME=${HOME:-"/home/user1"} HOME=/home/user1 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SSSB
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting Environment Variables

#!/bin/bash if ; then ASS1_DATA_DIR=./ echo $ASS1_DATA_DIR export ASS1_DATA_DIR echo "data dir" fi if ; then ASS1_OUTPUT_DIR=./ export ASS1_OUTPUT_DIR fi I want to create a new environment variable ASS1_DATA_DIR and ASS1_OUTPUT_DIR in bash and set them to the current... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigubosu
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting up environment variables

Hi all, This is my first post here. I need to set up a few environment variables with a shell script. Some are hard-coded, but some should come from other commands or as input from the user. How do I do that? For example, I need to export a variable as such: export DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:8.0 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: exchequer598
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

Setting up LAMP environment

I wish to setup LAMP environment. Amongst, I have successfully installed Linux 6.1. I am looking fwd to install - Apace Web Server, My Sql Database & PHP environment. Say if I look for MySql, could see downloadable available in rpm format. But this must be copied over to Linux machine. As... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
2 Replies

10. Solaris

/etc/default/init LANG Setting Not Working

Hey guys, I'm setting up a new server(Fujitsu M10-4 / Solaris 10 1/13) to move our app/DB and I'm having trouble figuring out why my LANG setting is not taking effect. I'm trying to set LANG=C in the /etc/default/init file which should make it the default system wide from what I gather. However... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaledragule
7 Replies
WC(1)                                                              User Commands                                                             WC(1)

NAME
wc - print newline, word, and byte counts for each file SYNOPSIS
wc [OPTION]... [FILE]... wc [OPTION]... --files0-from=F DESCRIPTION
Print newline, word, and byte counts for each FILE, and a total line if more than one FILE is specified. A word is a non-zero-length sequence of characters delimited by white space. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. The options below may be used to select which counts are printed, always in the following order: newline, word, character, byte, maximum line length. -c, --bytes print the byte counts -m, --chars print the character counts -l, --lines print the newline counts --files0-from=F read input from the files specified by NUL-terminated names in file F; If F is - then read names from standard input -L, --max-line-length print the maximum display width -w, --words print the word counts --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit AUTHOR
Written by Paul Rubin and David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report wc translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/wc> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) wc invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 WC(1)