Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Something is removing/deleting my wtmpx file? Post 302777815 by hicksd8 on Friday 8th of March 2013 12:03:03 PM
Old 03-08-2013
@MadeInGermany........

The OP wants to prevent wtmpx being cleared because he wants to keep more history. Question is how to stop it being cleared?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to delete entry in file "wtmpx"(/var/adm/wtmpx)

Do someone know how to delete entry(some lines) in file "wtmpx" that command "last" use it. this file is binary so I cannot edit directy. ========================= #last root pts/1 noc Fri Mar 3 22:04 still logged in root pts/1 noc Fri Mar 3 22:01 - 22:02 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arm_naja
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wtmpx file

Hello everybody: the wtmpx file on my Sol8 machine, got so big (2GB), that my root partition is almost full now, can I empty that file, I read about it that it contains database of user access and auditing, so in case I emptied it will it affect my system?? Thanks alot (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aladdin
3 Replies

3. Solaris

wtmpx file is too big

Hi, I am using Sun Solaris 5.9 OS. I have found a file called wtmpx having a size of 5.0 GB. I want to clear this file using :>/var/adm/wtmpx. My query is, would it cause any problem to the running live system. Could anyone suggest the best method to clear the file without causing problem to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vijayakumarpc
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

wtmpx file is not updating

Hi in my solaris 9 system wmptx file is not updating so it is not recording any login or logout or any other entry. can any one tell me how to solve this problem (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaysa123
0 Replies

5. Solaris

wtmpx file

What could possibly happen if wtmpx file got deleted by mistake? Thanks, (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting/Removing sentence from .txt

Hi, now i need to remove the entires i inserted into my .txt file. echo -n "Title: " read Title echo -n "Author: " read Author if grep -q "$Title: $Author" "BookDB.txt"; then sed '$Title: $Author' BookDB.txt echo "Book Title '$Title' removed successfully!" ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: santonio
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting pattern without removing line

I am trying to delete a pattern without removing line. I searched a lot in this forum and using those I could come up with sed command but it seems that command does not work. Here's how my file looks like: 1 ./63990 7 1171 ./63990 2 2425 ./63990 9 2539 ./63990 1 3125 ./63990 1 10141... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
7 Replies

8. Solaris

WTMPX File corrupted

Hi All I work on solaris 8, 9 and 10 platforms and have encountered an error which is my wtmpx files appear to be corrupted as all entries contain the date 1970 (the birth of unix). Now this is obviously not the case, so my query is: 1 - Can the existing wtmpx files be manipulated to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: drestarr96
6 Replies

9. Solaris

Wtmpx File Permissions Question

Hi all, I have been tasked to change permissions on the wtmpx file to 640. Currently the permissions are at 644. My question is will anything be affected if I change the permissions as shown? Thanks in advance. Derek (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Derk Berk
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Getting information from the wtmpx file

Hi, I tried running the command "last" in the server to check the users that were last logged into the system. However, I get this error : root@csidblog:# last /var/adm/wtmpx: Value too large for defined data type How do I proceed to get this info? I read some forums suggesting to use... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
2 Replies
utmpx(4)							   File Formats 							  utmpx(4)

NAME
utmpx, wtmpx - utmpx and wtmpx database entry formats SYNOPSIS
#include <utmpx.h> /var/adm/utmpx /var/adm/wtmpx DESCRIPTION
The utmpx and wtmpx files are extended database files that have superseded the obsolete utmp and wtmp database files. The utmpx database contains user access and accounting information for commands such as who(1), write(1), and login(1). The wtmpx database contains the history of user access and accounting information for the utmpx database. USAGE
Applications should not access these databases directly, but should use the functions described on the getutxent(3C) manual page to inter- act with the utmpx and wtmpx databases to ensure that they are maintained consistently. FILES
/var/adm/utmpx user access and adminstration information /var/adm/wtmpx history of user access and adminstrative information SEE ALSO
getutxent(3C), wait(3C)wait.h(3HEAD) SunOS 5.10 22 Feb 1999 utmpx(4)