Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Problem with nmon, actual CPU usage per process Post 302777799 by zaxxon on Friday 8th of March 2013 11:43:28 AM
Old 03-08-2013
Problem with nmon, actual CPU usage per process

Hi all,

I am currently having trouble to get nmon to print me the actual CPU usage for an interval for a process.
According to the manual, something like
Code:
# time nmon -t -C cron -s 5 -c 2 -F outfile

real    0m0.98s
user    0m0.03s
sys     0m0.04s

should print out at least the process information about cron for an interval of 2 x 5 seconds.
I tried it without specifying which process (without -C) and other parameters, but no chance. I get the very general information about everyhting else in the output, but nothing about any processes.
Also what I do not understand is, why it always runs through in much less time than I specified with -s and -c.

I am currently on AIX 6100-06-05-1115, and I am not root. Though when I call nmon to be in it's online mode and press "t", I get the top view as non-root user.

Any help is welcome. Alternatives to get the current CPU usage for a process over a specified interval is welcome.
I also tried to get the information with pprof but it seems it's showing like ps some values (ACCT_TIME) which are not working for me at all, as this seems to be the usage over time since the process was started, which is not what I am looking for. I also checked tprof, but as it looks it only works for processes that are started with it, not for processes which are already running.

In the IBM DeveloperWorks Wiki I found Nigel Griffiths' entry for a C-program to get the process information (http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/wi.../wikiptype/ryo)
He states that you have to take at least 2 measures and calculate the difference (I guess you have to bring this into relation with other processes etc. too, since the values I got did not tell me much).
I am looking for an easier way if any.

Thanks in forward!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Process CPU usage in Solaris 10

Hi All, Please let me know the command (expect top) to view the cpu usage of every process in Solaris 10. Thanks in Advance, Arun (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arun.viswanath
1 Replies

2. AIX

CPU usage of a process

I'm trying to monitor the CPU usage of a process and output that value to a file or variable. I know topas or nmon can tell me this in interactive mode but what I need is topas-looking output that allows me to write to a file after a discrete interval. Unlike nmon data collection to a file on top... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: robot23
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Finding CPU usage by a Unix Process

Hi, I am designing a load balancer for an application. I am trying to find out the CPU usage by a specifc Unix process (PID is known). I guess I can use ps command to find that. can somebody help me in finding what exact command I should use to find? It is on AIX 5.3. Regards Asutosh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asutoshch
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

process cpu usage

Trying to come up with a command that will show all processes sorted from highest cpu usage to lowest. Any ideas? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cwsmichigan
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

CPU Usage for a particular process

Hi, I have a shell script. But, upon execution of the same, the cpu usage is sometimes getting 100 % (checked executing top command). At that point of time, my process hangs, doesn't run anymore. I need to kill it manually. My concern is, is there any default method, by which I can check... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jitendriya.dash
1 Replies

6. AIX

How to trace cpu/memory usage for a process

I don't know when the process will start and end, I need write a script to trace it's cpu/memory usage when it is runing. How to write this script? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

CPU Usage of a process

Hi guys, I am currently writing a JAVA script to monitor certain unix processes through JConsole. Upon having lots of trouble with runtime.exec, i decided to bypass the top/ps command call and just get the information straight from /proc/*pid*/whatever. Now i can pull back any... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: matt9949
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Average CPU and RAM usage for a process

Hi, I will be creating a process myself and I want to know the average CPU and RAM used by the process over the lifetime of the process. I see that there are various tools available(pidstat) for doing , I was wondering if it possible to do it in a single command while creation. Thanks in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: koustubh
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tricky situation with process cpu usage - AIX

OS: AIX so we frequently receive a lot of cpu related alerts. all types of checks have been created to keep an eye on the cpu but a lot of these checks make too much noise as the CPU is always being seen as high. the system and application owners say there's no issue with the cpu. so now,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How can I check actual memory usage each Process?

I can't check actual memory usage in the Redhat 5.5... The used memory is 14214 Mb of Total 15919 by Free -m command. I sum the RSS value on PS aux command result and the value is 5428.66Mb. Yes It's quite different actual usage memory and RSS value. So I added Shared memory value... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tom8254
5 Replies
WMBUBBLE(1x)															      WMBUBBLE(1x)

NAME
wmbubble - system load monitor SYNOPSIS
wmbubble [options] [program1] [program2] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the wmbubble command. This manual page was written for the Debian GNU/Linux distribution because the original program does not have a manual page. wmbubble is a dockapp-style CPU, memory, swap and load average monitor. Based on the GNOME BubbleMon applet, this program has been consid- erably improved. The higher the water level, the more memory is in use. The more profuse the bubbles, the higher the CPU usage. There is also a real-time CPU percentage display. When the mouse is moved into the window, the display will change to show the load history, or, if the right shift is held, the current mem- ory usage. If you press the right mouse button, the window will freeze in that state. You can unfreeze the display by pressing the right mouse button again. program1 and program2 are the programs to spawn when either the left or middle mouse button is pressed, respectively. OPTIONS
-d disable swimming duck -u disable upside-down duck -c disable CPU meter -m disable memory screen -p use alternative color scheme in memory info screen -k display memory and swap statistics in megabytes -h display help AUTHOR
wmbubble was written by timecop <timecop@japan.co.jp> This manual page was written by John H. Robinson, IV <jaqque@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). March 28, 2004 WMBUBBLE(1x)