Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How can I do this in VI editor? Post 302777703 by gary_w on Friday 8th of March 2013 09:59:19 AM
Old 03-08-2013
If sed chokes on it perl may be a better choice.
This User Gave Thanks to gary_w For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vi editor ?

Hello everybody, My question is: how to add /tmp/work at the end of line in vi editor. my file looks like: cp file1 cp file2 cp file3 **** I need to add " /tmp/work" at the end of each line. I tried this :%s/$/" /tmp/work" and this :%s/$/\ /tmp/work\/ but it does not work. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: billy5
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

instead VI editor - which one?

I'd like to find some editor for HP-UX, something like notepad, but not VI editor. Can someone have some ideas which one? thx (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: diamond
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

vi editor

Hi, how can I add at the begining and at the end of all of the lines of my text file in VI editor ? Many thanks before. for exemple if in my file i have line 1 line 2 I want to have : start line 1 end start line 2 end (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alain123456
3 Replies

4. HP-UX

vi editor

I am new in hp ux and I want work with vi editor, but in hp ux vi editor the backspaes and del keys doesn't work. how can I enable them. thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hkoolivand
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pasting text in VI editor from a different editor

Hi, I knw its a silly question, but am a newbie to 'vi' editor. I'm forced to use this, hence kindly help me with this question. How can i paste a chunk 'copied from' a different editor(gedit) in 'vi editor'? As i see, p & P options does work only within 'vi'. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: harishmitty
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

set EDITOR=vi -> default editor not setting for cron tab

Hi All, I am running a script , working very fine on cmd prompt. The problem is that when I open do crontab -e even after setting editor to vi by set EDITOR=vi it does not open a vi editor , rather it do as below..... ///////////////////////////////////////////////////// $ set... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aarora_98
6 Replies

7. Solaris

Epic Editor was not able to obtain a license for your use. Feature Epic Editor :Licen

Epic Editor was not able to obtain a license for your use. Feature Epic Editor :License server is down (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: durgaprasadr13
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

About vi editor

How can ` character be printed on vi editor ? empl_id=`echo $line | awk ' { print $1; } '` (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: senem
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to use @ in VI editor

Hello All, Need one Help for one issue. I am using a French Keyboard, so @ sign is on key 0 and i have to use right Alt + 0 to print it. It is working everywhere but not inside Vi editor. I can type @ in shell, in notepad. But inside Vi editor it is not working, another problem is that if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yadavricky
2 Replies

10. Open Source

What editor does everyone use?

I was looking through the topics and I wasn't sure if this was the best place to post this question: I was wondering, out of curiosity, which software everyone was using to code their scripts in. I do mostly sh/ksh and my favorite has always been EditPlus because it is small, fast, yet powerful.... (409 Replies)
Discussion started by: yongho
409 Replies
SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-subst - GNU shtool sed(1) substitution operations SYNOPSIS
shtool subst [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-n|--nop] [-w|--warning] [-q|--quiet] [-s|--stealth] [-i|--interactive] [-b|--backup ext] [-e|--exec cmd] [-f|--file cmd-file] [file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
This command applies one or more sed(1) substitution operations to stdin or any number of files. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -n, --nop No operation mode. Actual execution of the essential shell commands which would be executed is suppressed. -w, --warning Show warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change on every file. The default is to show a warning on substitution operations resulted in no content change on all files. -q, --quiet Suppress warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change. -s, --stealth Stealth operation. Preserve timestamp on file. -i, --interactive Enter interactive mode where the user has to approve each operation. -b, --backup ext Preserve backup of original file using file name extension ext. Default is to overwrite the original file. -e, --exec cmd Specify sed(1) command directly. -f, --file cmd-file Read sed(1) command from file. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool subst -i -e 's;(c) ([0-9]*)-2000;(c) 1-2001;' *.[ch] # RPM spec-file %install shtool subst -v -n -e 's;^(prefix=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix};g' -e 's;^(sysconfdir=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/etc;g' `find . -name Makefile -print` make install HISTORY
The GNU shtool subst command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 2001 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by the need to have a uniform and convenient patching frontend to sed(1) operations in the OpenPKG package specifications. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)