Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to validate user's input..? Post 302777597 by Scrutinizer on Friday 8th of March 2013 07:09:23 AM
Old 03-08-2013
What programming/scripting language is this?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

validate input from user for file name

Hello, This may have been addressed already somewhere, however I am looking for the easiest/shortest way to validate a response from a user for a file name. The file name should not have any of the following characters ~`!@#$%^&*()_-+={|\:;"'<,>.?/ Further the response should not have any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to validate input values

Hi How would i validate value of a variable whether it is number,date or string Thanks in advance Sas (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SasDutta
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

validate input

the user inputs names that have to be inside square brackets I want to check if the user puts the brackets and if not ask him to re-enter the names (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: DDoS
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

BASH validate user input

Hey, im trying to validate a user input and need some help. The input needs to be just a single letter. Im using a case to so this eg: read answer case $answer in *) echo "OK" ;; *) echo "This is a number" read answer ;; *) echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 602chrislys
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Validate and sort input

Hi, This will most likely be a simple answer. Currently I have a situation where my script will be sent various options: -o1 -o2 -oe3@somthing.com Now, if I want to run a certain command based on the option I am sent, I am doing the following. for o in $(echo $options) do if ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: stuaz
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to validate input parameters?

Hi, I wonder how I can know if the input parameters to the script are numbers or text Thanks (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gengis-Kahn
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a simpler way to validate user input for float?

I'm trying to only read price (FLOAT (i.e 1.10, 3.14, etc etc)) If the input is just an integer, I will add a .00 behind. (i.e 3 becomes 3.00 , 20 becomes 20.00) If the input is without 2 decimal places, I'll add a 0. (i.e 3.1 becomes 3.10) I tried using the below code, it works but I don't... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: andylbh
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Another validate input Question.

I'm writing a bash shell script to 'help' me post to susepaste (I can NEVER remember the time options). Here's the code: #!/bin/bash ########## # # Project : personal script. # Started : Wed Aug 03, 2011 # Author : Habitual # Description : susepaste c-li script with user... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Habitual
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash] how is proper way to validate user input

hi all, i have a script that need user input provide all variables that needed to complete a job. this is my current script: echo "type file source and it full path :" read INPUTFILE if || ; then echo "ERROR: you didn't enter a file source or file source is not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: makan
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Validate input files daily

We have a job which we need to run on daily bases, before loading data in a table we need to validate whether the input file is received or not. Daily client will place the files in a particular path.Below files which I need to process for 04/01/2013(Load date).... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: katakamvivek
2 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)