Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: For loop and awk print
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting For loop and awk print Post 302777551 by RudiC on Friday 8th of March 2013 05:06:09 AM
Old 03-08-2013
Why do you use that difficult loop construct?
Code:
for t1 in "$tmpvar"; do ...; done

will loop through all five substrings in your tmpvar. If you need a count inside the loop, set and use one, like (( cnt++ )) .

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I get awk to print a " in it's print part?

The line is simple, use " '{ print $1"]"$2"\"$3THE " NEEDS TO GO HERE$4 }' I've tried \", "\, ^" and '"" but none of it works. What am I missing? Putting in the [ between $1 and $2 works fine, I just need to do the same with a ". Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LordJezo
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

loop + sum + print using awk

Hi, I am unable sum of each column in the loop usng awk command. Awk is not allowing the parameters in the command. i am facing the below error. awk: 0602-562 Field $() is not correct. Source file abc.txt 100,200,300,400,500,600,700,800,900 101,201,301,401,501,601,701,801,901 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: number10
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to loop lines and print substring

The input data: mbeanName: com.sap.default:name=tc~bl~deploy_controller,j2eeType=SAP_J2EEServicePerNode,SAP_J2EEClusterNode=3620850,SAP_J2EECluster=XXX Get attribute Properties: {undepl_parallelism_strategy=normal, deployment_forbidden=off, locking_retries=50, suppress_ds_warnings=on,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ux4me
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop inside awk to read and print contents of files

Hello, I have a set of files Xfile0001 - Xfile0021, and the content of this files (one at a time) needs to be printed between some line (lines start with word "Generated") that I am extracting from another file called file7.txt and all the output goes into output.txt. First I tried creating a for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaldo0805
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print each output of loop in new column using awk or shell

I have this output from a loop a11 1,2 3,4 5,6 7,8 12,8 5,4 3,6 a12 10,11 12,13 15,18 20,22 a13 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maryre89
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk loop using array:wish to store array values from loop for use outside loop

Here's my code: awk -F '' 'NR==FNR { if (/time/ && $5>10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":"($5-01) else if (/time/ && $5<01) A=$2" "$3":"$4-01":"(59-$5) else if (/time/ && $5<=10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":0"($5-01) else if (/close/) { B=0 n1=n2; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: klane
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print awk output in same line ,For loop

My code is something like below. #/bin/bash for i in `ps -ef | grep pmon | grep -v bash | grep -v grep | grep -v perl | grep -v asm | grep -v MGMT|awk '{print $1" "$8}'` do echo $i ORACLE_SID=`echo $line | awk '{print $2}'` USERNAME=`echo $line | awk '{print $1}'` done ============= But... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tapia
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use while loop to read file and use ${file} for both filename input into awk and as string to print

I have files named with different prefixes. From each I want to extract the first line containing a specific string, and then print that line along with the prefix. I've tried to do this with a while loop, but instead of printing the prefix I print the first line of the file twice. Files:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
3 Replies
foreach(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							foreach(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
foreach - Iterate over all elements in one or more lists SYNOPSIS
foreach varname list body foreach varlist1 list1 ?varlist2 list2 ...? body _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The foreach command implements a loop where the loop variable(s) take on values from one or more lists. In the simplest case there is one loop variable, varname, and one list, list, that is a list of values to assign to varname. The body argument is a Tcl script. For each element of list (in order from first to last), foreach assigns the contents of the element to varname as if the lindex command had been used to extract the element, then calls the Tcl interpreter to execute body. In the general case there can be more than one value list (e.g., list1 and list2), and each value list can be associated with a list of loop variables (e.g., varlist1 and varlist2). During each iteration of the loop the variables of each varlist are assigned consecutive values from the corresponding list. Values in each list are used in order from first to last, and each value is used exactly once. The total number of loop iterations is large enough to use up all the values from all the value lists. If a value list does not contain enough elements for each of its loop variables in each iteration, empty values are used for the missing elements. The break and continue statements may be invoked inside body, with the same effect as in the for command. Foreach returns an empty string. EXAMPLES
This loop prints every value in a list together with the square and cube of the value: set values {1 3 5 7 2 4 6 8} ;# Odd numbers first, for fun! puts "Value Square Cube" ;# Neat-looking header foreach x $values { ;# Now loop and print... puts " $x [expr {$x**2}] [expr {$x**3}]" } The following loop uses i and j as loop variables to iterate over pairs of elements of a single list. set x {} foreach {i j} {a b c d e f} { lappend x $j $i } # The value of x is "b a d c f e" # There are 3 iterations of the loop. The next loop uses i and j to iterate over two lists in parallel. set x {} foreach i {a b c} j {d e f g} { lappend x $i $j } # The value of x is "a d b e c f {} g" # There are 4 iterations of the loop. The two forms are combined in the following example. set x {} foreach i {a b c} {j k} {d e f g} { lappend x $i $j $k } # The value of x is "a d e b f g c {} {}" # There are 3 iterations of the loop. SEE ALSO
for(n), while(n), break(n), continue(n) KEYWORDS
foreach, iteration, list, looping Tcl foreach(n)