Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File permisson doesn't work
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting File permisson doesn't work Post 302777135 by sangfroid on Thursday 7th of March 2013 11:45:40 AM
Old 03-07-2013
you are running as a root user, try changing ownership of the file to some other user and then test..

also, you are thinking for +x it is working correctly, but in fact check your code as ctsgnb mentioned.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why doesn't this work?

cat .servers | while read LINE; do ssh jason@$LINE $1 done exit 1 ./command.ksh "ls -l ~jason" Why does this ONLY iterate on the first server in the list? It's not doing the command on all the servers in the list, what am I missing? Thanks! JP (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpeery
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script doesn't work, but commands inside work

Howdie everyone... I have a shell script RemoveFiles.sh Inside this file, it only has two commands as below: rm -f ../../reportToday/temp/* rm -f ../../report/* My problem is that when i execute this script, nothing happened. Files remained unremoved. I don't see any error message as it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cheongww
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

my make doesn't work

hi I wrote the following makefile, I have just one problem, when i type make clean I get the message make 'clean' is up to date and any obj file is removed from my folder, what's wrong? Thank you CC = cc all: es.o elaboration.o $(CC) -o es es.o elaboration.o elaboration.o:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Puntino
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

alias doesn't work

Hi I have put alias ll='ls -la' in .profile file but it doesn't work. On hand it works it looks like the .profile file is not beeing read. How to check whitch file is loaded? ,profile? .bash_profile? My system: SunOS mion 5.10 Generic Shell: /bin/pfksh Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: miojamo
2 Replies

5. Solaris

shutdown -y -i5 -g0 DOESN'T work

hello, The command above seems not working on my solaris 8/9 sparc machines. a. resulted to the ff below when I instead use "shutdown" only. Broadcast Message from root (pts/1) on "hostname" date.. The system "hostname" will be shut down in 30 seconds THE SYSTEM bdosg IS BEING SHUT... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

directory structure & file permisson comparison

Hi - I want to compare permissions of the directory structure and files beneath it with permissions one week back on same directory structure and files beneath it. if any changes to permissions of any file or directory permissions send an email. I am not sure how to list the permissions of all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: oraclermanpt
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why doesn't this work?

find . -name "05_scripts" -type d -exec mv -f {}/'*.aep\ Logs' {}/.LogFiles \; Returns this failure: mv: rename ./019_0120_WS_WH_gate_insideTEST/05_scripts/*.aep\ Logs to ./019_0120_WS_WH_gate_insideTEST/05_scripts/.LogFiles/*.aep\ Logs: No such file or directory I don't know why it's trying... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scribling
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ssh remote command doesn't work from script file

I have 10 application servers in a distributed architecture generating their own application logs. Each server has application utility to continuously tail the log. for example following command follows tails and follows new logfiles as they are generated server1$ logutility logtype When I run... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: indianya
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP xlsx file doesn't work ...contains wierd characters.

Guys, I've a xlsx file containing pivot tables and my job is to FTP it from one Linux terminal to another. I use the script below : ftp -in xxxx > /ftp.log 2>&1 <<EOT user xxx yyyy binary cd <directory> put xxx.xlsx `basename xxx.xlsx` bye EOT After the file is received in the FTP... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhagat.singh-j
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

-ne 0 doesn't work -le does

Hi, I am using korn shell. until ] do echo "\$# = " $# echo "$1" shift done To the above script, I passed 2 parameters and the program control doesn't enter inside "until" loop. If I change it to until ] then it does work. Why numeric comparison is not working with -ne and works... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ab_2010
3 Replies
install(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands					       install(1B)

NAME
install - install files SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/install [-cs] [-g group] [-m mode] [-o owner] filename1 filename2 /usr/ucb/install [-cs] [-g group] [-m mode] [-o owner] filename... directory /usr/ucb/install -d [-g group] [-m mode] [-o owner] directory DESCRIPTION
install is used within makefiles to copy new versions of files into a destination directory and to create the destination directory itself. The first two forms are similar to the cp(1) command with the addition that executable files can be stripped during the copy and the owner, group, and mode of the installed file(s) can be given. The third form can be used to create a destination directory with the required owner, group and permissions. Note: install uses no special privileges to copy files from one place to another. The implications of this are: o You must have permission to read the files to be installed. o You must have permission to copy into the destination file or directory. o You must have permission to change the modes on the final copy of the file if you want to use the -m option to change modes. o You must be superuser if you want to specify the ownership of the installed file with -o. If you are not the super-user, or if -o is not in effect, the installed file will be owned by you, regardless of who owns the original. OPTIONS
-c Copy files. In fact install always copies files, but the -c option is retained for backwards compatibility with old shell scripts that might otherwise break. -d Create a directory. Missing parent directories are created as required as in mkdir -p. If the directory already exists, the owner, group and mode will be set to the values given on the command line. -s Strip executable files as they are copied. -g group Set the group ownership of the installed file or directory. (staff by default.) -m mode Set the mode for the installed file or directory. (0755 by default.) -o owner If run as root, set the ownership of the installed file to the user-ID of owner. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
chgrp(1), chmod(1), chown(1), cp(1), mkdir(1), strip(1), install(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 14 Sep 1992 install(1B)