Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File permisson doesn't work
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting File permisson doesn't work Post 302777135 by sangfroid on Thursday 7th of March 2013 11:45:40 AM
Old 03-07-2013
you are running as a root user, try changing ownership of the file to some other user and then test..

also, you are thinking for +x it is working correctly, but in fact check your code as ctsgnb mentioned.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why doesn't this work?

cat .servers | while read LINE; do ssh jason@$LINE $1 done exit 1 ./command.ksh "ls -l ~jason" Why does this ONLY iterate on the first server in the list? It's not doing the command on all the servers in the list, what am I missing? Thanks! JP (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpeery
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script doesn't work, but commands inside work

Howdie everyone... I have a shell script RemoveFiles.sh Inside this file, it only has two commands as below: rm -f ../../reportToday/temp/* rm -f ../../report/* My problem is that when i execute this script, nothing happened. Files remained unremoved. I don't see any error message as it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cheongww
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

my make doesn't work

hi I wrote the following makefile, I have just one problem, when i type make clean I get the message make 'clean' is up to date and any obj file is removed from my folder, what's wrong? Thank you CC = cc all: es.o elaboration.o $(CC) -o es es.o elaboration.o elaboration.o:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Puntino
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

alias doesn't work

Hi I have put alias ll='ls -la' in .profile file but it doesn't work. On hand it works it looks like the .profile file is not beeing read. How to check whitch file is loaded? ,profile? .bash_profile? My system: SunOS mion 5.10 Generic Shell: /bin/pfksh Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: miojamo
2 Replies

5. Solaris

shutdown -y -i5 -g0 DOESN'T work

hello, The command above seems not working on my solaris 8/9 sparc machines. a. resulted to the ff below when I instead use "shutdown" only. Broadcast Message from root (pts/1) on "hostname" date.. The system "hostname" will be shut down in 30 seconds THE SYSTEM bdosg IS BEING SHUT... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

directory structure & file permisson comparison

Hi - I want to compare permissions of the directory structure and files beneath it with permissions one week back on same directory structure and files beneath it. if any changes to permissions of any file or directory permissions send an email. I am not sure how to list the permissions of all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: oraclermanpt
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why doesn't this work?

find . -name "05_scripts" -type d -exec mv -f {}/'*.aep\ Logs' {}/.LogFiles \; Returns this failure: mv: rename ./019_0120_WS_WH_gate_insideTEST/05_scripts/*.aep\ Logs to ./019_0120_WS_WH_gate_insideTEST/05_scripts/.LogFiles/*.aep\ Logs: No such file or directory I don't know why it's trying... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scribling
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ssh remote command doesn't work from script file

I have 10 application servers in a distributed architecture generating their own application logs. Each server has application utility to continuously tail the log. for example following command follows tails and follows new logfiles as they are generated server1$ logutility logtype When I run... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: indianya
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP xlsx file doesn't work ...contains wierd characters.

Guys, I've a xlsx file containing pivot tables and my job is to FTP it from one Linux terminal to another. I use the script below : ftp -in xxxx > /ftp.log 2>&1 <<EOT user xxx yyyy binary cd <directory> put xxx.xlsx `basename xxx.xlsx` bye EOT After the file is received in the FTP... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhagat.singh-j
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

-ne 0 doesn't work -le does

Hi, I am using korn shell. until ] do echo "\$# = " $# echo "$1" shift done To the above script, I passed 2 parameters and the program control doesn't enter inside "until" loop. If I change it to until ] then it does work. Why numeric comparison is not working with -ne and works... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ab_2010
3 Replies
ST_SNAPSHOT(1)							      systraq							    ST_SNAPSHOT(1)

NAME
st_snapshot - calculate checksum and stat ownership and permissions of files SYNOPSIS
ST_SUM=sha256sum st_snapshot patterns homepatterns DESCRIPTION
st_snapshot calculates checksums and stats ownership and permissions of critical system files. This script is typically run in either root-mode or public-mode. Running this script in root-mode requires root priviliges. One is adviced to set up a dedicated user account for running this script in public mode. In root-mode, the files snapshot_root.list and snapshot_root.homelist are typically passed as arguments. These pattern files are read by the script and contain names of files and directories; listing a directory in such a pattern file is equivalent to listing all files which live in the directorytree with this directory as root. snapshot_root.list could e.g. read # snapshot_root.list - files and directories we wanna get # monitored: we wanna get a note once these files, or any file # under these directories, gets created, gets rm-ed, gets # permissions or contents changed. these notices will not # include the possibly secret contents of these files # # this file gets read by st_systraq /etc/group /etc/gshadow /etc/hosts.allow /etc/hosts.deny /etc/hosts.equiv /etc/lilo.conf /etc/passwd /etc/postfix/server.pem /etc/shadow /etc/skel /etc/ssh Equivalent files snapshot_pub.list and snapshot_pub.homelist should be on the system. These files should contain all worldreadable to be monitored files. This allows for running this script as root only in those cases where it's needed: when reading files, readable for root only. The homelist files contain files and directories which should get monitored for every homedirectory on the system. snapshot_pub.homelist could e.g. contain: .profile .cshrc .tcshrc .login .logout .bash_profile .bashrc .exrc .nexrc As a special case, when the environment variable ST_OPHOMES is set to a non-empty string (typically when running in public mode), we stat the permissions on all homedirectories themselves. The produced snapshot is printed to stdout. The output when running in public mode could look like: # ownership and permissions of homedirs drwxr-xr-x root root /bin drwxr-xr-x root root /dev drwxr-sr-x root staff /home drwxr-sr-x joostvb joostvb /home/joostvb drwxr-xr-x root root /usr/sbin drwxr-xr-x root root /var # sha256sum of critical pub files 4d3cd13d6dbc10e2e3ccb9477cbc9eb9b76302454c276d5771ae0b10a5fbb4d2 /home/joostvb/.ssh/id_rsa.pub eb8d83e0246f761a21bdfb13a03fac634ed7c3b7dde4c2efddd7b2838d32596f /var/qmail/alias/.bashrc 4e371f9a11f5a2464d3d5c952e58e24f73b377d33767ed93b2082fcb59a647fe /etc/zlogin # ownership and permissions of critical pub files -rw-rw-r-- joostvb joostvb /home/joostvb/.ssh/id_rsa.pub -rw-r--r-- joostvb joostvb /home/joostvb/.ssh/authorized_keys ENVIRONMENT
ST_OPHOMES - non-empty in case permissions on all homedirectories should be printed ST_SUM - command for calculating file checksums. E.g. sha256sum, sha512sum, sha384sum, sha224sum or sha1sum. SEE ALSO
The systraq manual. VERSION
This manpage: $Id: st_snapshot.pod 374 2008-12-14 08:47:32Z joostvb $ COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2008 Joost van Baal This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program (see COPYING); if not, check with http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html or write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111, USA. AUTHOR
Joost van Baal <joostvb-systraq-20041015@mdcc.cx> 20081217 2008-12-15 ST_SNAPSHOT(1)