Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Directory Aliasing
Operating Systems Solaris Directory Aliasing Post 302776445 by Corona688 on Wednesday 6th of March 2013 10:46:35 AM
Old 03-06-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by shubh05
As fas as I know, symbolic links can't be used for folders/directories. Its for files.

Please correct me If I am wrong and let me know further on it.
Symbolic links work just fine for folders. You can't hardlink a folder, but symlinks can link to anything. You can even make a symlink that goes nowhere if you really want. It's just a string, in the end.

Code:
ln -s /absolute/path/of/destination /absolute/path/to/source

Absolute paths are reccomended since it takes the destination path completely literally without considering the current working directory at all.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic regarding aliasing

Hi All, One small request. In UNIX/LINUX we can have our own aliases in .bashrc file. My doubt is when we add a new alias and if it is tried in already opened terminals it will not work, may be it is not going to recognise. Bit when we use the same alias in new terminal it will work. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chanakyahere
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is IP aliasing ?

Hi, Can anyone tell me what is IP aliasing ? I do not know if this is the right place for this thread !!. Thanks in advance, Gideon. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: preethgideon
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

aliasing question in UNIX

Folks; I know this might sound stupid, but Can i alias a web link to another web link in a UNIX server? Let say i have a web link named http://test.new.com/wiki Can i alias that so when i click on it or i type it in the browser address it opens but the link in the browser say something like:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Katkota
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

aliasing the TO name in Unix mails

HI All, I have a small question/clarification/doubt . Does anyone know how to provide alias in the mails that come from Unix servers. Like i have a Unix server that generates status mails every hour for a scheduled job , it sends me mails with status with the ID in from field as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsandeep_80
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

shell programming / aliasing / set -f

Here's my opportunity.... I want to turn off the * expansion, execute the shell script and have it see the arguement with the * and not all the filenames, and then set +f once the script is executed. 1) I have an alias set as follows: alias scp='set -f; /opt/dir1/dir2/script.sh ; set +f'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hsamm
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

Cluster Suite IP-Aliasing

Hi, is it normal, that the IP alias (service IP) can't be seen with ifconfig -a , as eth0:1 for example the IP is on the node, you can ping it, and open ports for that IP look at this: # ip addr 1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 16436 qdisc noqueue link/loopback... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: funksen
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I do aliasing in shellscript?

#Example.sh alias rmv 'sh Example2.sh' when i execute exapme.sh alias name not working. how i solve this problem?? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: arun508.gatike
9 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

aliasing command

hi to all members in this forums .. Nice to meet you... i only have a questions about command utility of "dd": for example i will type: pico trial this is my file. and save it and type chmod a+x trial can there be a way that instead of typing: dd if=trial of=trial.copy conv=ucase... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: marahtia
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Abbreviated aliasing would be a great feature to bring to shells

Being able to mark in an alias definition a point of minimal abbreviation, an old feature of VAX/VMS shell (DCL) would be really nice in modern *nix shells. In DCL you used to be able to define an alias (in its own weird syntax) which would be something like this: $ alias fuz*zyanimals="cat... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: unscripted
5 Replies
DH_LINK(1)							     Debhelper								DH_LINK(1)

NAME
dh_link - create symlinks in package build directories SYNOPSIS
dh_link [debhelperoptions] [-A] [-Xitem] [sourcedestination...] DESCRIPTION
dh_link is a debhelper program that creates symlinks in package build directories. dh_link accepts a list of pairs of source and destination files. The source files are the already existing files that will be symlinked from. The destination files are the symlinks that will be created. There must be an equal number of source and destination files specified. Be sure you do specify the full filename to both the source and destination files (unlike you would do if you were using something like ln(1)). dh_link will generate symlinks that comply with Debian policy - absolute when policy says they should be absolute, and relative links with as short a path as possible. It will also create any subdirectories it needs to to put the symlinks in. Any pre-existing destination files will be replaced with symlinks. dh_link also scans the package build tree for existing symlinks which do not conform to Debian policy, and corrects them (v4 or later). FILES
debian/package.links Lists pairs of source and destination files to be symlinked. Each pair should be put on its own line, with the source and destination separated by whitespace. OPTIONS
-A, --all Create any links specified by command line parameters in ALL packages acted on, not just the first. -Xitem, --exclude=item Exclude symlinks that contain item anywhere in their filename from being corrected to comply with Debian policy. source destination ... Create a file named destination as a link to a file named source. Do this in the package build directory of the first package acted on. (Or in all packages if -A is specified.) EXAMPLES
dh_link usr/share/man/man1/foo.1 usr/share/man/man1/bar.1 Make bar.1 be a symlink to foo.1 dh_link var/lib/foo usr/lib/foo usr/share/man/man1/foo.1 usr/share/man/man1/bar.1 Make /usr/lib/foo/ be a link to /var/lib/foo/, and bar.1 be a symlink to the foo.1 SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 9.20120909 2012-05-15 DH_LINK(1)