Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Directory Aliasing
Operating Systems Solaris Directory Aliasing Post 302776425 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 6th of March 2013 10:09:46 AM
Old 03-06-2013
There are no good ways to alias a directory, except using symlinks.

So you need to explain carefully the difference between "run time" and other times. Plus.
You do realize that doing this will have major side effects, like not being able to ever get into /dir/dir2 during run time.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic regarding aliasing

Hi All, One small request. In UNIX/LINUX we can have our own aliases in .bashrc file. My doubt is when we add a new alias and if it is tried in already opened terminals it will not work, may be it is not going to recognise. Bit when we use the same alias in new terminal it will work. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chanakyahere
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is IP aliasing ?

Hi, Can anyone tell me what is IP aliasing ? I do not know if this is the right place for this thread !!. Thanks in advance, Gideon. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: preethgideon
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

aliasing question in UNIX

Folks; I know this might sound stupid, but Can i alias a web link to another web link in a UNIX server? Let say i have a web link named http://test.new.com/wiki Can i alias that so when i click on it or i type it in the browser address it opens but the link in the browser say something like:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Katkota
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

aliasing the TO name in Unix mails

HI All, I have a small question/clarification/doubt . Does anyone know how to provide alias in the mails that come from Unix servers. Like i have a Unix server that generates status mails every hour for a scheduled job , it sends me mails with status with the ID in from field as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsandeep_80
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

shell programming / aliasing / set -f

Here's my opportunity.... I want to turn off the * expansion, execute the shell script and have it see the arguement with the * and not all the filenames, and then set +f once the script is executed. 1) I have an alias set as follows: alias scp='set -f; /opt/dir1/dir2/script.sh ; set +f'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hsamm
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

Cluster Suite IP-Aliasing

Hi, is it normal, that the IP alias (service IP) can't be seen with ifconfig -a , as eth0:1 for example the IP is on the node, you can ping it, and open ports for that IP look at this: # ip addr 1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 16436 qdisc noqueue link/loopback... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: funksen
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I do aliasing in shellscript?

#Example.sh alias rmv 'sh Example2.sh' when i execute exapme.sh alias name not working. how i solve this problem?? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: arun508.gatike
9 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

aliasing command

hi to all members in this forums .. Nice to meet you... i only have a questions about command utility of "dd": for example i will type: pico trial this is my file. and save it and type chmod a+x trial can there be a way that instead of typing: dd if=trial of=trial.copy conv=ucase... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: marahtia
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Abbreviated aliasing would be a great feature to bring to shells

Being able to mark in an alias definition a point of minimal abbreviation, an old feature of VAX/VMS shell (DCL) would be really nice in modern *nix shells. In DCL you used to be able to define an alias (in its own weird syntax) which would be something like this: $ alias fuz*zyanimals="cat... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: unscripted
5 Replies
dircmp(1)							   User Commands							 dircmp(1)

NAME
dircmp - directory comparison SYNOPSIS
dircmp [-ds] [-w n] dir1 dir2 DESCRIPTION
The dircmp command examines dir1 and dir2 and generates various tabulated information about the contents of the directories. Listings of files that are unique to each directory are generated for all the options. If no option is entered, a list is output indicating whether the file names common to both directories have the same contents. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -d Compares the contents of files with the same name in both directories and output a list telling what must be changed in the two files to bring them into agreement. The list format is described in diff(1). -s Suppresses messages about identical files. -w n Changes the width of the output line to n characters. The default width is 72. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: dir1 A path name of a directory to be compared. dir2 USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of dircmp when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31bytes). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of dircmp: LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. (Differences in directory contents are not considered errors.) ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5) SunOS 5.10 1 Feb 1995 dircmp(1)