Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with malloc()
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help with malloc() Post 302775571 by shamrock on Tuesday 5th of March 2013 05:39:41 AM
Old 03-05-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by eracav
Good day! I'm a newbie in C. I'm trying to get an unlimited input from the user using malloc then printing the inputs after the user presses enter. My code works, but there's a warning that I don't know how to fix. Please help me. Thank you.

Here's my code:
Code:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

int main () {

char* pointer = malloc(sizeof(char*));
    fgets(pointer, malloc(sizeof(char*)), stdin);
    puts(pointer);

return 0;

}

I get the warning: passing of argument 2 of 'fgets' makes integer from pointer without a cast

What does that mean? Thank you very much
Because the second argument of fgets is an integer while malloc returns pointer to void so take it out...
This User Gave Thanks to shamrock For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

a problem about malloc()

1 . Thanks everyone who read the post. 2 . the programe is that : #include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> void do_it(char *p) { p = (char *) malloc(100); (void )strcpy(p,"1234"); } int main(void) { char *p; do_it(p); (void )printf("p = %s \n",p); (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chenhao_no1
1 Replies

2. Programming

malloc

hello sir since by mentioning a integer pointer and storing the integers by incrementing the pointer value then what is the purpose of malloc? u can decalre it as in t *p; several integers can be stored by incrementing the value of p, hence what is the diffrence between this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajashekaran
2 Replies

3. Programming

When to use Malloc?

Hi! I hope this is the correct forum to post the question even if I'm a newbie... I am a C-newbie (and really on the edge to be a C-addict ;) ) and have a question. When should I use malloc? To state it differently, when should I NOT use malloc? For instance, if I have an array of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tonje
5 Replies

4. Programming

malloc()

Some one please explain me what is Dynamic memory allocation and the use of malloc() function.How do we allocate memory dynamically and also the other way? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rash123
3 Replies

5. Programming

Malloc implementation in C

Hey Guys I am trying to implement the malloc function for my OS class and I am having a little trouble with it. I would be really grateful if I could get some hints on this problem. So I am using a doubly-linked list as my data structure and I have to allocate memory for it (duh...). The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gambit_b
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Malloc Implementation in C

Hey Guys Some of my friends have got together and we are trying to write a basic kernel similar to Linux. I am trying to implement the malloc function in C and I am using a doubly linked list as the primary data structure. I need to allocate memory for this link list (duh...) and I don't feel... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbansal2
2 Replies

7. Programming

malloc vs realloc

Why when using realloc, john is reversed 3 times but not the other 2 names ? But if I use malloc, then the 3 names are reversed correctly ? (but then there is a memory leak) How can I reverse all 3 names without a memory leak ? char *BUFFER = NULL; char *STRREVERSE(const char *STRING) {... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyler
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Kmalloc and malloc

Do kmalloc and malloc allocate from same heap ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragonpoint
3 Replies

9. Programming

help with malloc [solved]

Hi i found code in google how to malloc an 2D array and i tried that : #include<stdio.h> #include<stdlib.h> int **A; int **B; int main(int argc,char *argv) { printf("name of text : %s\n",argv); //read arrays int i,j; int l,m; int M,n; FILE *fp; fp=fopen(argv,"r"); ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: giampoul
0 Replies

10. Programming

malloc vs new speed

Which one is faster among malloc and new? My understanding is that since new also has to call constructors after allocating memory it must be slower than malloc. Am I correct? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
1 Replies
DYNARR(3pub)						       C Programmer's Manual						      DYNARR(3pub)

NAME
dynarr, dynarr_init, dynarr_resize, dynarr_free - simple dynamic arrays SYNOPSIS
#include <publib.h> void dynarr_init(struct dynarr *da, size_t elsize); int dynarr_resize(struct dynarr *da, size_t newsize); void dynarr_free(struct dynarr *da); DESCRIPTION
These functions make it easier to use dynamic arrays, i.e., arrays that are allocated with malloc(3) and resized with realloc(3). Below is a typical code fragment for implementing a dynamic array that is resized as more input is read. char *p, *line; size_t alloc, len; len = 0; alloc = 1024; if ((line = malloc(alloc)) == NULL) abort(); while (fgets(line + len, alloc-len, stdin) != NULL) { len = strlen(line); alloc += 1024; if ((p = realloc(alloc)) == NULL) abort(); alloc = p; } (The error handling is intentionally simplified.) Below is the above fragment with the dynarr(3). struct dynarr da; dynarr_init(&da); while (fgets((char *)da.data + da.used, da.alloc-da.len, stdin) != NULL) { da.used = strlen(da.data); if (dynarr_resize(&da, da.alloc + 1024) == -1) abort(); } The code is a bit simpler, and all the memory allocation details and most of the error checking code is hidden away. The dynamic array is represented by a struct dynarr: struct dynarr { void *data; size_t alloc, used; }; The interface to the dynamic allocation has intentionally been made unopaque. dynarr_init initializes a struct dynarr to be an empty array, dynarr_resize sets its size to be newsize, and dynarr_free frees the array (it will become an empty array again). RETURNS
dynarr_resize returns -1 if it failed, 0 if it succeeded. It does not change the array in any way if it failed. SEE ALSO
publib(3), malloc(3), realloc(3), strdup(3) AUTHOR
Lars Wirzenius (lars.wirzenius@helsinki.fi) Publib C Programmer's Manual DYNARR(3pub)