Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: DNS server /var/spool issue
Operating Systems Solaris DNS server /var/spool issue Post 302775079 by MadeInGermany on Monday 4th of March 2013 04:53:08 AM
Old 03-04-2013
You are saying your DNS server is getting these mails from other hosts like mercury1?
Assumed the DNS server is not the SMTP server, I suggest to stop the sendmail listener on the interfaces, in /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
Code:
O DaemonPortOptions=Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA-v4, Family=inet
O DaemonPortOptions=Addr=127.0.0.1, Port=587, Name=MSA, M=E

And restart sendmail.
This will protect your server from further mails, and from DoS attacks on the sendmail port.
The /var/mail/mqueue will grow on the other (wrongly configured) hosts like mercury1.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/var/spool/mqueue !!!

I keep having this msg on my SunOS console : Jun 29 08:57:40 bersimis sendmail: NOQUEUE: low on space (have 0, SMTP-DAEMON needs 101 in /var/spool/mqueue) I tried to make some space by deleting the files in it, but the msg came back ... Any tips ? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wingman21
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/VAR/SPOOL/MAIL question

Hi, We have all the user account in a home direcory where their mail is stored and retrieved by email clients. We do however have /var/spool/mail with all the user accounts in it as well Our sendmail.cf is configured to use /var/spool/mqueue as the queue so .what is /var/spool/mail being used... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/var/spool/mail

Hi, How can i get my mail on either /var/spool/mail or /var/mail? I use mail and sendmail command to send mail. But everytime I send mail it comes to my outlook inbox and when I check with mail command I get the message "No mail for siba". (Note siba is my user Id.) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Mail going to /var/spool/mqueue instead of being sent

Hello, I have a bunch of cron jobs in the crontab. For some reason mail from the cron jobs started going to /var/spool/mqueue instead of being sent. Does anyone know why mail from cron jobs would go to the queue instead of being sent? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: xadamz23
9 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris 9, /var/spool/clientmqueue/

Hi, We have some 2-3 Solaris 9 servers with the following issue. For every cron job which has email notifications, it is sending the emails, but it create files at /var/spool/clientmqueue/ which has similar contents. " V6 T1271362260 K1271362260 N1 P30359 MDeferred: Connection refused... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: uxadmin007
1 Replies

6. Solaris

/var/spool/clientmqueue

Hi, solaris : 9 can we delete the files from this location /var/spool/clientmqueue . I found around 40K files lying in this location. Regards (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maooah
1 Replies

7. AIX

/var/spool/mail/ issues

Hi My box is running with AIX 6100-06 and Im the root user of this box My /var gets filled up often to 100% When I investigate I find that it is the below file which increases rapidly /var/spool/mail/pdgadmin I dont know why this file is growing up. Can any one assist me on this.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samsungsamsung
2 Replies

8. Solaris

BIND DNS Server issue on Solaris 10

Hi all, I have some sort of problem with BIND DNS server my environment as follows. bash-3.00# cat /etc/release Solaris 10 6/06 s10s_u2wos_09a SPARC Copyright 2006 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Use is subject to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
3 Replies

9. Solaris

/var/spool/mqueue issue

Hi guys . I have a solaris machine serving as a DNS server for my environment. Everytime I go into /var/spool/mqueue , there are an aweful lot of emails with names likes: qfqB6ChrpL006644. When I cat the file , I get the following output: H??Received: from machine.domain.com... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DNS server - /etc/resolv.conf file issue

Hi, Am trying to configure DNS server and trying to keep the information in /etc/resolv.conf file as: search server nameserver 192.168.0.10 when i restart the network service with #service network restart, resolv.conf file is changing as: nameserver 192.168.0.10 search server -... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: raosr020
5 Replies
ipa-server-install(1)						 IPA Manual Pages					     ipa-server-install(1)

NAME
ipa-server-install - Configure an IPA server SYNOPSIS
ipa-server-install [OPTION]... DESCRIPTION
Configures the services needed by an IPA server. This includes setting up a Kerberos Key Distribution Center (KDC) and a Kadmin daemon with an LDAP back-end, configuring Apache, configuring NTP and optionally configuring and starting an LDAP-backed DNS server. By default a dog- tag-based CA will be configured to issue server certificates. OPTIONS
BASIC OPTIONS -r REALM_NAME, --realm=REALM_NAME The Kerberos realm name for the IPA server. You will not be able to estabilish trust with Active Directory unless the realm name is uppercased domain name. -n DOMAIN_NAME, --domain=DOMAIN_NAME Your DNS domain name -p DM_PASSWORD, --ds-password=DM_PASSWORD The password to be used by the Directory Server for the Directory Manager user -P MASTER_PASSWORD, --master-password=MASTER_PASSWORD The kerberos master password (normally autogenerated) -a ADMIN_PASSWORD, --admin-password=ADMIN_PASSWORD The password for the IPA admin user --mkhomedir Create home directories for users on their first login --hostname=HOST_NAME The fully-qualified DNS name of this server. If the hostname does not match system hostname, the system hostname will be updated accordingly to prevent service failures. --ip-address=IP_ADDRESS The IP address of this server. If this address does not match the address the host resolves to and --setup-dns is not selected the installation will fail. If the server hostname is not resolvable, a record for the hostname and IP_ADDRESS is added to /etc/hosts. -N, --no-ntp Do not configure NTP --idstart=IDSTART The starting user and group id number (default random) --idmax=IDMAX The maximum user and group id number (default: idstart+199999). If set to zero, the default value will be used. --no_hbac_allow Don't install allow_all HBAC rule. This rule lets any user from any host access any service on any other host. It is expected that users will remove this rule before moving to production. --no-ui-redirect Do not automatically redirect to the Web UI. --ssh-trust-dns Configure OpenSSH client to trust DNS SSHFP records. --no-ssh Do not configure OpenSSH client. --no-sshd Do not configure OpenSSH server. -d, --debug Enable debug logging when more verbose output is needed -U, --unattended An unattended installation that will never prompt for user input CERTIFICATE SYSTEM OPTIONS --external-ca Generate a CSR to be signed by an external CA --external_cert_file=FILE PEM file containing a certificate signed by the external CA. Must be given with --external_ca_file. --external_ca_file=FILE PEM file containing the external CA chain --dirsrv_pkcs12=FILE PKCS#12 file containing the Directory Server SSL Certificate --http_pkcs12=FILE PKCS#12 file containing the Apache Server SSL Certificate --dirsrv_pin=DIRSRV_PIN The password of the Directory Server PKCS#12 file --http_pin=HTTP_PIN The password of the Apache Server PKCS#12 file --subject=SUBJECT The certificate subject base (default O=REALM.NAME) DNS OPTIONS --setup-dns Generate a DNS zone if it does not exist already and configure the DNS server. This option requires that you either specify at least one DNS forwarder through the --forwarder option or use the --no-forwarders option. Note that you can set up a DNS at any time after the initial IPA server install by running ipa-dns-install (see ipa-dns-install(1)). --forwarder=IP_ADDRESS Add a DNS forwarder to the DNS configuration. You can use this option multiple times to specify more forwarders, but at least one must be provided, unless the --no-forwarders option is specified. --no-forwarders Do not add any DNS forwarders. Root DNS servers will be used instead. --reverse-zone=REVERSE_ZONE The reverse DNS zone to use --no-reverse Do not create reverse DNS zone --zonemgr The e-mail address of the DNS zone manager. Defaults to hostmaster@DOMAIN --no-host-dns Do not use DNS for hostname lookup during installation --no-dns-sshfp Do not automatically create DNS SSHFP records. UNINSTALL OPTIONS --uninstall Uninstall an existing IPA installation -U, --unattended An unattended uninstallation that will never prompt for user input EXIT STATUS
0 if the (un)installation was successful 1 if an error occurred SEE ALSO
ipa-dns-install(1) IPA
Jun 28 2012 ipa-server-install(1)