Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to delete text between two characters in line? Post 302774787 by euspilapteryx on Sunday 3rd of March 2013 09:45:24 AM
Old 03-03-2013
How to delete text between two characters in line?

Hi,

I have a large text file with the following format:

>gi|347545744|gb|JN204951.1| Dismorphia spio voucher 5
ATCAAATTCCTTCCTCTCCTTAAA
>gi|17544664774|gb|WN204922.32| Rodapara nigens gene region
CCGGGCAAATTCCTTCCTCTCCTTAAA
>gi|555466400|gb|SG255122.8| Bombyx mandariana genbank 3

in each line, I would like the text between the ">" and the first space deleted. The text should be outputted like:

>Dismorphia spio voucher 5
ATCAAATTCCTTCCTCTCCTTAAA
>Rodapara nigens gene region
>Bombyx mandariana genbank 3

The lines that need to be edited all begin with ">". Is there a quick way to do this?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete last line from text file

I have a file with which i must remove the last line of the file (the footer). I know how to copy and redirect with tail -1 etc, but how do i delete it permanentely (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing all but last Hex characters in a text line

I must remove hex characters 0A and 0D from several fields within an MS Access Table. Since I don't think it can be done in Access, I am trying here. I am exporting a Table from Access (must be fixed length fields, I think, for my idea to work here) into a text format. I then want to run a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BAH
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete first line from any text file ?

What command I can use to delete first line from any text file ? Thk (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aungomarin
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to delete line with matching text and line immediately after

hello experts, I have a file: File1 Sample Test1 This is a Test Sample Test2 Another Test Final Test3 A final Test I can use sed to delete the line with specific text ie: sed '/Test2/d' File1.txt > File2.txt How can I delete the line with the matching text and the line immediately... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: orahi001
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to delete text from line starting pattern1 up to line before pattern2?

My data is xml'ish (here is an excerpt) :- <bag name="mybag1" version="1.0"/> <contents id="coins"/> <bag name="mybag2" version="1.1"/> <contents id="clothes"/> <contents id="shoes"/> <bag name="mybag3" version="1.6"/> I want to delete line containing mybag2 and its subsequent... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: repudi8or
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete duplicated characters in each line

I'm a biologist trying to analyse some data and I'll appreciate some help with the following problem. I have a column of characters which I'll like to delete the duplicated characters in each line and report only the unique one.No sorting should be done. E.g. The original data: GTG CTC CTC... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ivpz
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete new line characters from a file

Hi, I have a file with about 25 colums separated with '~', but few of the lines have extra tabs ('^') and new line characters ('$'). Is there a way I can delete those characters if they are anywhere before the 25th column in a line? example: CLUB000650;12345678;0087788667;NOOP MEMBER ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete characters from each line

Hi, I have a file that has data in the following manner, tt_0.00001.dat 123.000 tt_0.00002.dat 124.000 tt_0.00002.dat 125.000 This is consistent for all the entries in the file. I want to delete the 'tt_' and '.dat' from each line. Could anyone please guide me how to do this using awk or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost.identity
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete first 2 characters for each line, please help

hi, ./R1_970330_210505.sard ./R1_970403_223412.sard ./R1_970626_115235.sard ./R1_970626_214344.sard ./R1_970716_234214.sard ... ... ... for these strings, i wanna remove the ./ for each line how can i do that? i know it could possibly be done by sed, but i really have not idea how... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnydanniel
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How delete characters of specific line with sed?

Hi, I have a text file with some lines like this: /MEDIA/DISK1/23568742.MOV /MEDIA/DISK1/87456321.AVI /MEDIA/DISK2/PART1/45753131.AVI /IMPORT/44452.WAV ... I want to remove the last 12 characters in each line that it ends "AVI". Should look like this: /MEDIA/DISK1/23568742.MOV... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: inaki
12 Replies
Bio::UpdateableSeqI(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				  Bio::UpdateableSeqI(3pm)

NAME
Bio::UpdateableSeqI - Descendant of Bio::SeqI that allows updates SYNOPSIS
See Bio::SeqI for most of the documentation. See the documentation of the methods for further details. DESCRIPTION
Bio::UpdateableSeqI is an interface for Sequence objects which are expected to allow users to perform basic editing functions (update/delete) on their component SeqFeatures. FEEDBACK
Mailing Lists User feedback is an integral part of the evolution of this and other Bioperl modules. Send your comments and suggestions preferably to the Bioperl mailing list. Your participation is much appreciated. bioperl-l@bioperl.org - General discussion http://bioperl.org/wiki/Mailing_lists - About the mailing lists Support Please direct usage questions or support issues to the mailing list: bioperl-l@bioperl.org rather than to the module maintainer directly. Many experienced and reponsive experts will be able look at the problem and quickly address it. Please include a thorough description of the problem with code and data examples if at all possible. Reporting Bugs Report bugs to the Bioperl bug tracking system to help us keep track of the bugs and their resolution. Bug reports can be submitted via the web: https://redmine.open-bio.org/projects/bioperl/ AUTHOR - David Block Email dblock@gene.pbi.nrc.ca CONTRIBUTORS
Ewan Birney forced me to this... APPENDIX
The rest of the documentation details each of the object methods. Internal methods are usually preceded with a _ delete_feature Title : delete_feature Usage : my $orphanlist=$self->delete_feature($feature,$transcript,$gene); Function: deletes the specified $feature from the given transcript, if $transcript is sent and exists and $feature is a feature of $transcript, or from $gene if the $feature is a feature of $gene, or from $self if $transcript and $gene are not sent. Keeps track of the features of the $gene object that may be left as orphans and returns them as a listref. Example : I want to delete transcript 'abc' of gene 'def', with three exons, leaving only transcript 'ghi' with two exons. This will leave exons 1 and 3 part of 'ghi', but exon 2 will become an orphan. my $orphanlist=$seq->delete_feature($transcript{'abc'},undef,$gene{'def'}); $orphanlist is a reference to a list containing $exon{'2'}; Returns : a listref of orphaned features after the deletion of $feature (optional) Args : $feature - the feature to be deleted $transcript - the transcript containing the $feature, so that a $feature can be removed from only one transcript when there are multiple transcripts in a gene. $gene - the gene containing the $transcript and/or the $feature perl v5.14.2 2012-03-02 Bio::UpdateableSeqI(3pm)