Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Understanding sed
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Understanding sed Post 302774427 by alister on Friday 1st of March 2013 10:54:17 PM
Old 03-01-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary_w
Question: if this sed command was in a script, could it be commented like I did above in the code? Can a sed regex be multi-line with comments?
Nope. You can have comments in a sed script, but not within a regular expression. What you are asking is possible with perl if you use the /x regular expression modifier.

Regards,
Alister

---------- Post updated at 10:54 PM ---------- Previous update was at 10:49 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary_w
One could also do:
Code:
s/:[^:]*:/::/

s/:[^:]*/:/ would work just as well, unless it's necessary to prevent the last field in a line without a trailing colon from matching, or even s/[^:]*//2.

REgards,
Alister

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

need further understanding of init.d

I needt o know how what init.d does and how it knows which dameons/applications to turn off and how to restart the applications after reboot. any OS - solaris/hp-ux (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jigarlakhani
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

understanding the sed command

Guys, I am trying to understand the sed command here. adx001 $ a=/clocal/dctrdata/user/dctrdat1/trdroot/recouncil adx001 $ b=`echo $a | sed 's/\//\\\\\//g'` adx001 $ echo $b \/clocal\/dctrdata\/user\/dctrdat1\/trdroot\/recouncil The sed command i took it from the script. Please... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help understanding sed

I am trying to create a basic script that converts an Oracle script into a Sybase script. The only things im changing are Datatypes and the to_char and to_date functions. I am not really 100% sure of the way it works. I have tried running the functions through a loop to replace each word line... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Makaer
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help understanding mv

I just started shell coding and I'm a bit confused on how 'mv' works can someone explain to me how it works and if i did this correctly. Thanks. echo "Enter Name of the first file:" read file1 #echo $file1 if ; then echo "Sorry, file does not exist." exit 1 ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: taiL
16 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

understanding {%/*}/

Hi Gurus: I am trying to understand the following line of code.I did enough of googling to understand but no luck.Please help me understand the follow chunk of code: X=$0 MOD=${X%/*}/env.ksh X is the current script from which I am trying to execute. Say if X=test.ksh $MOD is echoing :... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vemana
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

understanding sed command

Hi Friends, I need a small help in understanding the below sed command. $ cat t4.txt 1 root 1 58 0 888K 368K sleep 4:06 0.00% init 1 root 1 58 0 888K 368K sleep 4:06 0.00% init last $ sed 's/*$//' t4.txt 1 root 1 58 0 888K ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: forroughuse
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

help understanding regex with grep & sed

I have the following line of code that works wonders. I just don't completely understand it as I am just starting to learn regex. Can you help me understand exactly what is happening here? find . -type f | grep -v '^\.$' | sed 's!\.\/!!' (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: trogdortheburni
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need your help in understanding this

Hi, I found this in a script and I would like to know how this works Code is here: # var1=PART1_PART2 # var2=${var1##*_} # echo $var2 PART2 I'm wondering how ##* makes the Shell to understand to pick up the last value from the given. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sathyaonnuix
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Quick help on Understanding sed Regex

Hi Guys, Could you please kindly explain what exactly the below SED command will do ? I am quite confused and i assumed that, sed 's/*$/ /' 1. It will remove tab and extra spaces .. with single space. The issue is if it is removing tab then it should be Î right .. please assist.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nandy
3 Replies
NWBPSET(1)							      nwbpset								NWBPSET(1)

NAME
nwbpset - Create a bindery property or set its value SYNOPSIS
nwbpset [ -h ] [ -S server ] [ -U user name ] [ -P password | -n ] [ -C ] DESCRIPTION
nwbpset Reads a property specification from the standard input and creates and sets the corresponding property. The format is determined by the output of 'nwbpvalues -c'. nwbpset will hopefully become an important part of the bindery management suite of ncpfs, together with As another example, look at the following command line: nwbpvalues -t 1 -o supervisor -p user_defaults -c | sed '2s/.*/ME/'| sed '3s/.*/LOGIN_CONTROL/'| nwbpset With this command, the property user_defaults of the user object 'supervisor' is copied into the property login_control of the user object 'me'. nwbpvalues -t 1 -o me -p login_control -c | sed '9s/.*/ff/'| nwbpset This command disables the user object me. Feel free to contribute other examples! nwbpset looks up the file $HOME/.nwclient to find a file server, a user name and possibly a password. See nwclient(5) for more information. Please note that the access permissions of $HOME/.nwclient MUST be 600 for security reasons. OPTIONS
-h -h is used to print out a short help text. -S server server is the name of the server you want to use. -U user user is the user name to use for login. -P password password is the password to use for login. If neither -n nor -P are given, and the user has no open connection to the server, nwbpset prompts for a password. -n -n should be given if no password is required for the login. -C By default, passwords are converted to uppercase before they are sent to the server, because most servers require this. You can turn off this conversion by -C. AUTHORS
nwbpset was written by Volker Lendecke. See the Changes file of ncpfs for other contributors. nwbpset 8/7/1996 NWBPSET(1)