Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find the numeric value in a string and then check the max. value Post 302773517 by lovelysethii on Thursday 28th of February 2013 06:06:14 AM
Old 02-28-2013
Code:
bash-3.2$ awk -F "is/are" '{split($2,P," ");a=a>P[1]?a:P[1]}END{print a}' hung.txt
awk: syntax error near line 1
awk: bailing out near line 1

i tried this but it is giving above error..

Last edited by Franklin52; 02-28-2013 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: Code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check for numeric inputs

Hi All, How do i modify the below script such that if the input is numeric, it will give the numeric digit, else it will ouput "0" echo "xxx" | awk '/^+$/' (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

to check variable if its non numeric

if test $b -ne then echo "\n\n\n\tPassword reset has been done successfully" else echo "\n\n\n\tAn error occurred" fi i want to check whether $b is non-numeric so how to do that? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachin.gangadha
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

check whether it is a non-numeric character

Below is the abstract of the script which is working fine. if ] then error_process "Invalid month format." return 1 fi I am doing validation for month and it errors if the value is > 12 or < 0. In addition, I want to add another condition to error if it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sony_dada
2 Replies

4. Programming

check the given string is numeric or not.

Hi, how to check the given string is numeric or not , without converting ( using strtol...). for ex: if string is C01 - non-numeric data if string is 001 - numeric data TIA (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: knowledge_gain
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check for Numeric output in Perl

Hi All, I would like to convert my below csh script to Perl. Can any expert help ? # To check for numeric input set tested1 = `echo "$tested"| awk '/^+$/'`; # To remove un-neccessary zeros set tested2 = `echo "$tested"|awk '{print $0+0}'`; (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to find a string, check the next line, and if it matches certain criteria, replace it with a s

Hey Fellas. I am new to scripting. I have searched through the forums and found a lot of good info, but I can't seem to get any of it to work together. I am trying to find a particular sting in a file, and if the next string matches certain criteria, replace it with a string from a csv... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: midniteslice
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and Replace random numeric value with non-numeric value

Can someone tell me how to change the first column in a very large 17k line file from a random 10 digit numeric value to a non numeric value. The format of lines in the file is: 1702938475,SNU022,201004 the first 10 numbers always begin with 170 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bahf1s
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check for a Numeric Value?

Using shell, I have a variable, how can I check that variable for a numeric value such as "41.0"? My program needs to do one things if the numeric value is found, and another if something else such as a string of letter is found. is there a specific character that denotes a numeral? The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chagan02
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

check if a string is numeric

I checked all the previous threads related to this and tried this. My input is all numbers or decimals greater than zero everytime. I want to check the same in the korn shell script. Just validate the string to be numeric. This is what I am doing. var="12345" if ) -o "$var" !=... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: megha2525
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check whether input is numeric

Hello there, find below for my code first: $pdp_asaba=`cat /tmp/temp_total | grep asaba | sed 's/*//g'` if ]] then pdp_asaba=0 fi $pdp_abuja=`cat /tmp/temp_total | grep abuja | sed 's/*//g'` if ]] then pdp_abuja=0 fi $pdp_ojota=`cat /tmp/temp_total | grep ojota | sed 's/*//g'` if ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: infinitydon
3 Replies
shell(1F)							   FMLI Commands							 shell(1F)

NAME
shell - run a command using shell SYNOPSIS
shell command [command] ... DESCRIPTION
The shell function concatenate its arguments, separating each by a space, and passes this string to the shell ($SHELL if set, otherwise /usr/bin/sh). EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample output of shell command. Since the Form and Menu Language does not directly support background processing, the shell function can be used instead. `shell "build prog > /dev/null &"` If you want the user to continue to be able to interact with the application while the background job is running, the output of an exe- cutable run by shell in the background must be redirected: to a file if you want to save the output, or to /dev/null if you don't want to save it (or if there is no output), otherwise your application may appear to be hung until the background job finishes processing. shell can also be used to execute a command that has the same name as an FMLI built-in function. NOTES
The arguments to shell will be concatenate using spaces, which may or may not do what is expected. The variables set in local environments will not be expanded by the shell because "local" means "local to the current process." ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 5 Jul 1990 shell(1F)