Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash command line to strip tar.gz file extension? Post 302772756 by ZillaG on Tuesday 26th of February 2013 04:49:08 PM
Old 02-26-2013
Question Bash command line to strip tar.gz file extension?

What's the command syntax for stripping out the tar.gz file extension in a bash command line (not script file). Thanks!

prompt/> ls *.tar.gz | <what comes here?>

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strip one line from 2 blank lines in a file

Hi Is there any command to scan thru a file looking for 2 consecutive blank lines and if any remove one of them. Please let me know. Regards, Tipsy (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tipsy
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash script to delete file input on command line

1) I wrote a script and gave the desired permissions using "chmod 755 scriptname". Now if i edit the script file, why do i need to set the permission again? Didn't i set the permission attribute.. or if i edit the file, does the inode number of file changes? 2) I am running my unix on a server... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: animesharma
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conundrum - Flexible way to strip extension

Hi, First post here. I have something that may prove to be difficult. I have the following files: Example1.0.0.tar.gz Example2.tar Example3.zip Example4.0.0.0.0.0.bzip2 I need to remove the file extensions and store as a variable so they look like this: Example1.0.0 Example2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Spadez
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX command to check if file name ends with .tar OR if the file is a tar file

Hello Team, Would you please help me with a UNIX command that would check if file is a tar file. if we dont have that , can you help me with UNIX command that would check if file ends with .tar Thanks in advance. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjaydubey2006
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename specific file extension in directory with match to another file in bash

I have a specific set (all ending with .bam) of downloaded files in a directory /home/cmccabe/Desktop/NGS/API/2-15-2016. What I am trying to do is use a match to $2 in name to rename the downloaded files. To make things a more involved the date of the folder is unique and in the header of name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying bash script to take each line in a file and execute command

I need to modify a bash script to to take each line in a file and execute command. I currently have this: #!/bin/bash if ; then echo "Lipsa IP"; exit; fi i=1 ip=$1 while ; do if ; then rand=`head -$i pass_file | tail -1` user=`echo $rand | awk '{print $1}'` pass=`echo $rand | awk '{print $2}'`... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: galford
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run several bash commands put in bash command line?

How to run several bash commands put in bash command line without needing and requiring a script file. Because I'm actually a windows guy and new here so for illustration is sort of : $ bash "echo ${PATH} & echo have a nice day!" will do output, for example:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdulbadii
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to trim folder and files within a path that share a common file extension

The bash will trim the folder to trim folder. Within each of the folders (there may be more than 1) and the format is always the same, are several .bam and matching .bam.bai files (file structure) and the bashunder that executes and trims the .bam as expected but repeats the.bam.bai extentions... (9 Replies)
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to create sub directories from specific file extension

In the bash below I am trying to create sub-directories inside a directory from files with specific .bam extensions. There may be more then one $RDIR ing the directory and the .bam file(s) are trimmed (removing the extension and IonCode_0000_) and the result is the folder name that is saved in... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to tar an extension from a certain directory?

Im trying to make a tar file with only .txt file from a specific directory tar -cvf test.tar *.txt I have that part and tested it correctly but dont know where to put the path part of the command. I tried different placements... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcesmcsc
8 Replies
BF_TAR(1)						    Bogofilter Reference Manual 						 BF_TAR(1)

NAME
bf_tar - shell script to write a tar file of a bogofilter directory to stdout SYNOPSIS
bf_tar [-r] [-R] bogofilter_directory DESCRIPTION
bf_tar bundles a bogofilter working directory in tar format and copies it to standard output (your console, or where you redirect it, see EXAMPLES below). OPTIONS
The -r option causes bf_tar to remove inactive log files after the archive has been written successfully. The default is to leave log files. The -R option causes bf_tar to remove inactive log files before the archive is written. This may reduce chances that the resulting archive is recoverable should it become damaged. The archive may be smaller though. The default is to leave log files. EXIT STATUS
The script exits with status code 0 if everything went well, and nonzero if it encountered trouble. EXAMPLES
o bf_tar ~/.bogofilter > outfile.tar Writes a standard .tar file containing the essential files from ~/.bogofilter to outfile.tar. o bf_tar ~/.bogofilter | gzip -9 -c > outfile.tar.gz Writes a gzipped .tar.gz file containing the essential files from ~/.bogofilter to outfile.tar.gz. o bf_tar `pwd`/mydirectory > outfile.tar Prepend $(pwd)/ or `pwd`/ if you want to specify an absolute path instead of a relative path. NOTES
This script is meant for use with Berkeley DB based bogofilter versions. This script requires a SUSv2 compliant pax utility. This script expects a SUSv2 compliant shell. Solaris systems should have the SUNWxcu4 package installed (when bogofilter is configured) so that /usr/xpg4/bin/sh can be used. AUTHORS
Matthias Andree Bogofilter 03/15/2010 BF_TAR(1)