Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Wait process holding CPU
Operating Systems AIX Wait process holding CPU Post 302772746 by bakunin on Tuesday 26th of February 2013 04:04:13 PM
Old 02-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopeezere
Thanks for your reply. Let me explain the issue with me right now. The server is completely empty, but still any application i start like WAS 'or' enterprise application is very slow like takes hours together. Even putty login takes like few minutes to login.
OK, this might as well be a problem with the server as it might be a problem with some third-party system. A possible cause could be the name server (have a look at /etc/resolv.conf), maybe the server runs into a timeout every time it tries to query an IP address. Try the following: select a server in your network. Make sure its IP address is not in the local /etc/hosts. Do a "ping <IP-address>" and note the time it takes to respond. Now try a "ping <hostname>" for the same server. If there is a noticeable difference in how long it takes "ping" to start the name server is the culprit.

Quote:
But i m not sure, this being kernel process, i m not able to kill them.
Actually you are, but they are immediately restarted.

Quote:
Here i post the required details, please do review and let me know if you can find any reason for the server behaviour.
OK, i had a quick look at your output and IMHO the system was doing absolutely nothing when you took the snapshots, it probably rebooted just before. If you look at "vmstat"s output and notice the lots of "free" memory pages there are only two possible reasons: either the system does absolutely nothing so that the kernel doesn't even know what to put into file cache - this is unlikely given your modest memory size of ~8GB. The other option is that the system just restarted and there was not enough I/O to this moment to fill the filecache with anything that makes sense. (The last possible explanation - a rather hilarious "maxperm"- "minperm"-, etc. setting - is ruled out by the output of "vmstat -v".)

You might want to tune your maxperm- and minperm-settings to more sensible values. What these values might be depends on the application, but 95% and 3% are good starting points. Right now you have:

Code:
[srvbd1]root]/]>vmstat -v
[...]
                 20.0 minperm percentage
                 80.0 maxperm percentage
                 80.0 maxclient percentage
[...]

Code:
[srvbd1]root]/]>svmon -G
               size      inuse       free        pin    virtual
memory      2035712     982932    1052780     384894     702631
pg space    2097152       2404

This display is in memory pages (=4k). 2 Mio pages ~ 8GB. From these 2 mio pages 700k have been used, the rest is simply doing nothing. If this is everything your system ever does you could reduce its memory to ~4GB and everything would be fine.

Code:
[srvbd1]root]/]>iostat 5

System configuration: lcpu=4 drives=3 paths=2 vdisks=0

tty:      tin         tout    avg-cpu: % user % sys % idle % iowait
          0.0         11.6                0.3   0.7   98.9      0.2

Disks:        % tm_act     Kbps      tps    Kb_read   Kb_wrtn
hdisk0           2.0       3.2       0.4          0        16
hdisk1           2.0       6.4       0.8          0        32
cd0              0.0       0.0       0.0          0         0

tty:      tin         tout    avg-cpu: % user % sys % idle % iowait
          0.0         77.6                0.3   1.5   97.9      0.3

Disks:        % tm_act     Kbps      tps    Kb_read   Kb_wrtn
hdisk0           0.2      11.0       2.4          0        56
hdisk1           0.2       7.9       1.2          0        40
cd0              0.0       0.0       0.0          0         0

These disks are doing absolutely nothing. The little activity residue is the system itself idling away. It is the computer equivalent of one twiddling his thumbs.

Code:
[srvbd1]root]/]>no -a

Looks like everything is at defaults here. Once the system will actually do anything there might be a reason to optimize a bit, but now just leave it alone.

I wonder what you want with the many adapters - you have no disks (save for the two system disks) right now.

Summary:

It seems that the system is built right now and some of the hardware ins't even connected (like disks). The system is definitely not the problem when a "putty" eds "several minutes" to connect. I'd look at the network (routers, firewalls, VLANs, etc.) and network-related services (DNS, NIS, maybe kerberos or LDAP, etc.) if the culprit is there. My first guess would be the name server, then the other components i named.

I hope this helps.

bakunin
This User Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Process Wait on DG UX

Does anyone know what the equivalent command to pwait on Solaris is on DG/UX. I need my script to kick off a process and wait till it is complete before continuing with the script. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fabbas
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

86% CPU for wait

Hi, is-it normal to have 86% of CPU for wait commande : ps aux| head -20 UTIL PID %CPU %MEM SZ RSS TTY STAT STIME TIME COMMAND root 516 86,6 0,0 12 12 - A 02 nov 2088:03 wait oralfa01 54422 4,6 1,0 68044 39868 - A 09:20:06 2:27 oracleALFA01 If... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

wait command - cat it wait for not-chile process?

Did not use 'wait' yet. How I understand by now the wait works only for child processes, started background. Is there any other way to watch completion of any, not related process (at least, a process, owned by the same user?) I need to start a background process, witch will be waiting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to get persistant cpu utilization values per process per cpu in linux (! top,ps)

hi, i want to know cpu utilizatiion per process per cpu..for single processor also if multicore in linux ..to use these values in shell script to kill processes exceeding cpu utilization.ps (pcpu) command does not give exact values..top does not give persistant values..psstat,vmstat..does njot... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajd
3 Replies

5. AIX

%wait nmon CPU-UTILISATION

Hi, I collect statistics with nmon. I'm very suprised about % wait of processor. Number Of Processors: 4 Processor Clock Speed: 4204 MHz Do U have an idea about % wait ? │ 0----------25-----------50----------75----------100 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tagger
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make the parent process to wait for the child process

Hi All, I have two ksh script. 1st script calls the 2nd script and the second script calls an 'C' program. I want 1st script to wait until the 'C' program completes. I cant able to get the process id for the 'C' program (child process) to make the 1st script to wait for the second... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sennidurai
7 Replies

7. Solaris

How to check which process is holding up the ilde port

HI All Am on Sun OS.While trying to start a process , we could see that the port is idle and we are not able to find the process holding that port. Below is the result we get after using netstat command. lsof command is not yet installed in our machine. netstat -a | grep "port no"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Whiteboard
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Process holding /tmp space, need to know the process details

Hi , In a server /tmp has almost reached 75% and i can see the File system utilization is 48Mb only , so i believe some process is using the /tmp space. I would like to know which process is using /tmp space. # df -h /tmp Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted on swap ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
9 Replies

9. AIX

Wait time shows high CPU usage

Hi, I can't seem to make sense of this. My wait time is showing really high but vmstat's and topas are showing normal usage. ps aux USER PID %CPU %MEM SZ RSS TTY STAT STIME TIME COMMAND root 9961810 5680.7 0.0 448 384 - A Dec 16 6703072:12 wait ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: techy1
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to find process holding a semaphore?

Hello All, The system concerned has multiple processes communicating with each other using shared memory. These processes use semaphores to protect data being used amongst them. The "key" would uniquely identifies the particular semaphore corresponding to a resource for the various processes. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saptarshi
2 Replies