Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Wait process holding CPU
Operating Systems AIX Wait process holding CPU Post 302772701 by zaxxon on Tuesday 26th of February 2013 01:42:05 PM
Old 02-26-2013
These are kernel wait processes. They are absolute normal and come with the OS, 1 per Logical CPU. As one can see you have 2 procs and I assume you have SMT activated with 2 Logical CPUs per virtual or physical CPU.

As Bakunin said, you should really not kill them. They are definetly not your problem. They are just waiting for work and help calculating your idle percentage. Leave them alone!
IBM CPU Utilization for the wait KPROC - United States

Either this box is very weak ressource wise, the application is programmed badly, or there is some other kind of performance problem. There can be problems with name resolution etc. whatever.

Start up the application and have something like vmstat -w 2 20 while it performs slow, to get a 1st impression of your system.
Also check the logs of your application, if it writes any.
This User Gave Thanks to zaxxon For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Process Wait on DG UX

Does anyone know what the equivalent command to pwait on Solaris is on DG/UX. I need my script to kick off a process and wait till it is complete before continuing with the script. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fabbas
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

86% CPU for wait

Hi, is-it normal to have 86% of CPU for wait commande : ps aux| head -20 UTIL PID %CPU %MEM SZ RSS TTY STAT STIME TIME COMMAND root 516 86,6 0,0 12 12 - A 02 nov 2088:03 wait oralfa01 54422 4,6 1,0 68044 39868 - A 09:20:06 2:27 oracleALFA01 If... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

wait command - cat it wait for not-chile process?

Did not use 'wait' yet. How I understand by now the wait works only for child processes, started background. Is there any other way to watch completion of any, not related process (at least, a process, owned by the same user?) I need to start a background process, witch will be waiting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to get persistant cpu utilization values per process per cpu in linux (! top,ps)

hi, i want to know cpu utilizatiion per process per cpu..for single processor also if multicore in linux ..to use these values in shell script to kill processes exceeding cpu utilization.ps (pcpu) command does not give exact values..top does not give persistant values..psstat,vmstat..does njot... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajd
3 Replies

5. AIX

%wait nmon CPU-UTILISATION

Hi, I collect statistics with nmon. I'm very suprised about % wait of processor. Number Of Processors: 4 Processor Clock Speed: 4204 MHz Do U have an idea about % wait ? │ 0----------25-----------50----------75----------100 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tagger
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make the parent process to wait for the child process

Hi All, I have two ksh script. 1st script calls the 2nd script and the second script calls an 'C' program. I want 1st script to wait until the 'C' program completes. I cant able to get the process id for the 'C' program (child process) to make the 1st script to wait for the second... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sennidurai
7 Replies

7. Solaris

How to check which process is holding up the ilde port

HI All Am on Sun OS.While trying to start a process , we could see that the port is idle and we are not able to find the process holding that port. Below is the result we get after using netstat command. lsof command is not yet installed in our machine. netstat -a | grep "port no"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Whiteboard
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Process holding /tmp space, need to know the process details

Hi , In a server /tmp has almost reached 75% and i can see the File system utilization is 48Mb only , so i believe some process is using the /tmp space. I would like to know which process is using /tmp space. # df -h /tmp Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted on swap ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
9 Replies

9. AIX

Wait time shows high CPU usage

Hi, I can't seem to make sense of this. My wait time is showing really high but vmstat's and topas are showing normal usage. ps aux USER PID %CPU %MEM SZ RSS TTY STAT STIME TIME COMMAND root 9961810 5680.7 0.0 448 384 - A Dec 16 6703072:12 wait ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: techy1
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to find process holding a semaphore?

Hello All, The system concerned has multiple processes communicating with each other using shared memory. These processes use semaphores to protect data being used amongst them. The "key" would uniquely identifies the particular semaphore corresponding to a resource for the various processes. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saptarshi
2 Replies
MPSTAT(1)							Linux User's Manual							 MPSTAT(1)

NAME
mpstat - Report processors related statistics. SYNOPSIS
mpstat [ -A ] [ -I { SUM | CPU | SCPU | ALL } ] [ -u ] [ -P { cpu [,...] | ON | ALL } ] [ -V ] [ interval [ count ] ] DESCRIPTION
The mpstat command writes to standard output activities for each available processor, processor 0 being the first one. Global average activities among all processors are also reported. The mpstat command can be used both on SMP and UP machines, but in the latter, only global average activities will be printed. If no activity has been selected, then the default report is the CPU utilization report. The interval parameter specifies the amount of time in seconds between each report. A value of 0 (or no parameters at all) indicates that processors statistics are to be reported for the time since system startup (boot). The count parameter can be specified in conjunction with the interval parameter if this one is not set to zero. The value of count determines the number of reports generated at interval sec- onds apart. If the interval parameter is specified without the count parameter, the mpstat command generates reports continuously. OPTIONS
-A This option is equivalent to specifying -I ALL -u -P ALL -I { SUM | CPU | SCPU | ALL } Report interrupts statistics. With the SUM keyword, the mpstat command reports the total number of interrupts per processor. The following values are displayed: CPU Processor number. The keyword all indicates that statistics are calculated as averages among all processors. intr/s Show the total number of interrupts received per second by the CPU or CPUs. With the CPU keyword, the number of each individual interrupt received per second by the CPU or CPUs is displayed. With the SCPU keyword, the number of each individual software interrupt received per second by the CPU or CPUs is displayed. This option works only with kernels 2.6.31 and later. The ALL keyword is equivalent to specifying all the keywords above and therefore all the interrupts statistics are displayed. -P { cpu [,...] | ON | ALL } Indicate the processor number for which statistics are to be reported. cpu is the processor number. Note that processor 0 is the first processor. The ON keyword indicates that statistics are to be reported for every online processor, whereas the ALL keyword indicates that statistics are to be reported for all processors. -u Report CPU utilization. The following values are displayed: CPU Processor number. The keyword all indicates that statistics are calculated as averages among all processors. %usr Show the percentage of CPU utilization that occurred while executing at the user level (application). %nice Show the percentage of CPU utilization that occurred while executing at the user level with nice priority. %sys Show the percentage of CPU utilization that occurred while executing at the system level (kernel). Note that this does not include time spent servicing hardware and software interrupts. %iowait Show the percentage of time that the CPU or CPUs were idle during which the system had an outstanding disk I/O request. %irq Show the percentage of time spent by the CPU or CPUs to service hardware interrupts. %soft Show the percentage of time spent by the CPU or CPUs to service software interrupts. %steal Show the percentage of time spent in involuntary wait by the virtual CPU or CPUs while the hypervisor was servicing another virtual processor. %guest Show the percentage of time spent by the CPU or CPUs to run a virtual processor. %idle Show the percentage of time that the CPU or CPUs were idle and the system did not have an outstanding disk I/O request. Note: On SMP machines a processor that does not have any activity at all is a disabled (offline) processor. -V Print version number then exit. ENVIRONMENT
The mpstat command takes into account the following environment variable: S_TIME_FORMAT If this variable exists and its value is ISO then the current locale will be ignored when printing the date in the report header. The mpstat command will use the ISO 8601 format (YYYY-MM-DD) instead. EXAMPLES
mpstat 2 5 Display five reports of global statistics among all processors at two second intervals. mpstat -P ALL 2 5 Display five reports of statistics for all processors at two second intervals. BUGS
/proc filesystem must be mounted for the mpstat command to work. Only a few activities are given by the Linux kernel for each processor. FILES
/proc contains various files with system statistics. AUTHOR
Sebastien Godard (sysstat <at> orange.fr) SEE ALSO
sar(1), pidstat(1), iostat(1), vmstat(8) http://pagesperso-orange.fr/sebastien.godard/ Linux AUGUST 2011 MPSTAT(1)