Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Debian Problem with files/dirs deletion Post 302772559 by pentago on Tuesday 26th of February 2013 05:05:52 AM
Old 02-26-2013
Question Problem with files/dirs deletion

Hi,

The other day i installed a PHP based CMS (modx) on my shell account and noticed that i couldn't delete any of files/dirs it created after.

Also, i noticed that all that stuff is owned by username-www instead of username.

I tried chown, chmod and using a PHP script to do the same wti those files but to no avail. All i get is:
rm: cannot remove `somedir': Permission denied

Environment is somewhat restrictive so i don't have access to root.

Could someone land a helping hand?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I need to ls all files in 4-6 deep dirs

I need to print to file , a listing of all files below a certain directory. Example: I need to print to file a listing of all files below the etc dir (including the subdirectories) with their full path. Any ideas on how to do this with one command. Or is this something I need to do on all... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gforty
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file deletion problem

I am using unix via telnet ssh and i have a problem I was testing the server. I made a directory. Transfered a file from an ftp to it. Opened the file with the vi text editor --This where my problem came..... I tried deleting the file using rm somefile.htm when is typed ls i noticed that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shdwsclan
2 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

fifo deletion problem..

I have unix sco server. I have created one application for client server communication. On this I have creted some fifos/pipes. The reader.123 fifo is used by one process for reading and writing. I haven't deleted that fifo. But ls or find command doesn't show it. It is giving error as file or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yogeshdimble
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

script find files in two dirs HELP

I have a directory which is /home/mark/files/ , inside this particular I have a bunch of filles (see examples below) TST_SHU_00014460_20090302.txt TST_SHU_00016047_20090302.txt TST_SHU_00007838_20090303.txt TST_SHU_00056485_20090303.txt TST_SHU_00014460_20090303.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fierusbentus
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find most recent files in dirs and tar them up?

Hey all.. This should be simple but stoopid here can't get head around it! I have many directories, say 100 each with many files inside. I need a script to traverse through the dirs, find most recent file in each dir and add it to a tar file. I can find the files with something like for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bobdung
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Have absolute path for files in different dirs

Hi everybody. I need a command to print the absolute path of files which name starts always with a pattern (MOD03), independently on where they are in the filesystem. I have tryedls -ld ${INPUTPREFIX}/*/*/* | grep MOD03 | awk '{ print $8 }'but I have to use "/*/*/*" in this case to have the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: canduc17
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort retrieved data files in different dirs

Hi, I have a script to retrieve data files from server and store them in a directory on local disk. The script runs everyday as cron job. But now those files are too many so my boss wants me to put the files into different directories base on dates. Those files look like this: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: leafei
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK help print dirs with files in it

Hi, I'm writing some start of day checks for my work. I want to check some dirs for files that have been created longer than 10 mins ago and not been transfered. I've already used a find command to write a list of files that meet this criteria to a log called sod.log i.e. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: elcounto
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving files into dirs corresponding to dates

I am trying to find a way to move files into corresponding date files. i=0 while read line do array="$line" (( i++ )) done < <(ls) cd $(echo ${array}) echo ${array}} pwd #cd "$(array}" ] || mkdir 2015 cd "2015" ] || mkdir 02-February ] || mkdir 03-March ] || mkdir... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a string in files in all dir and sub dirs

Hello, I need to replace xml version='1.1' with xml version='1.0' in all xml files under /app/jenkins/ in all dir and sub dirs in my CentOS VM, I tried below command but it didn't help, looks like I'm missing a character somewhere. grep -rl "xml version='1.1'" . | xargs sed -i 's/"xml... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahesh Madpathi
2 Replies
USERDEL(8)						    System Management Commands							USERDEL(8)

NAME
userdel - delete a user account and related files SYNOPSIS
userdel [options] LOGIN DESCRIPTION
userdel is a low level utility for removing users. On Debian, administrators should usually use deluser(8) instead. The userdel command modifies the system account files, deleting all entries that refer to the user name LOGIN. The named user must exist. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the userdel command are: -f, --force This option forces the removal of the user account, even if the user is still logged in. It also forces userdel to remove the user's home directory and mail spool, even if another user uses the same home directory or if the mail spool is not owned by the specified user. If USERGROUPS_ENAB is defined to yes in /etc/login.defs and if a group exists with the same name as the deleted user, then this group will be removed, even if it is still the primary group of another user. Note: This option is dangerous and may leave your system in an inconsistent state. -h, --help Display help message and exit. -r, --remove Files in the user's home directory will be removed along with the home directory itself and the user's mail spool. Files located in other file systems will have to be searched for and deleted manually. The mail spool is defined by the MAIL_DIR variable in the login.defs file. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -Z, --selinux-user Remove any SELinux user mapping for the user's login. CONFIGURATION
The following configuration variables in /etc/login.defs change the behavior of this tool: MAIL_DIR (string) The mail spool directory. This is needed to manipulate the mailbox when its corresponding user account is modified or deleted. If not specified, a compile-time default is used. MAIL_FILE (string) Defines the location of the users mail spool files relatively to their home directory. The MAIL_DIR and MAIL_FILE variables are used by useradd, usermod, and userdel to create, move, or delete the user's mail spool. MAX_MEMBERS_PER_GROUP (number) Maximum members per group entry. When the maximum is reached, a new group entry (line) is started in /etc/group (with the same name, same password, and same GID). The default value is 0, meaning that there are no limits in the number of members in a group. This feature (split group) permits to limit the length of lines in the group file. This is useful to make sure that lines for NIS groups are not larger than 1024 characters. If you need to enforce such limit, you can use 25. Note: split groups may not be supported by all tools (even in the Shadow toolsuite). You should not use this variable unless you really need it. USERDEL_CMD (string) If defined, this command is run when removing a user. It should remove any at/cron/print jobs etc. owned by the user to be removed (passed as the first argument). The return code of the script is not taken into account. Here is an example script, which removes the user's cron, at and print jobs: #! /bin/sh # Check for the required argument. if [ $# != 1 ]; then echo "Usage: $0 username" exit 1 fi # Remove cron jobs. crontab -r -u $1 # Remove at jobs. # Note that it will remove any jobs owned by the same UID, # even if it was shared by a different username. AT_SPOOL_DIR=/var/spool/cron/atjobs find $AT_SPOOL_DIR -name "[^.]*" -type f -user $1 -delete ; # Remove print jobs. lprm $1 # All done. exit 0 USERGROUPS_ENAB (boolean) If set to yes, userdel will remove the user's group if it contains no more members, and useradd will create by default a group with the name of the user. FILES
/etc/group Group account information. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. /etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shadow Secure user account information. EXIT VALUES
The userdel command exits with the following values: 0 success 1 can't update password file 2 invalid command syntax 6 specified user doesn't exist 8 user currently logged in 10 can't update group file 12 can't remove home directory CAVEATS
userdel will not allow you to remove an account if there are running processes which belong to this account. In that case, you may have to kill those processes or lock the user's password or account and remove the account later. The -f option can force the deletion of this account. You should manually check all file systems to ensure that no files remain owned by this user. You may not remove any NIS attributes on a NIS client. This must be performed on the NIS server. If USERGROUPS_ENAB is defined to yes in /etc/login.defs, userdel will delete the group with the same name as the user. To avoid inconsistencies in the passwd and group databases, userdel will check that this group is not used as a primary group for another user, and will just warn without deleting the group otherwise. The -f option can force the deletion of this group. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), chsh(1), passwd(1), login.defs(5), gpasswd(8), groupadd(8), groupdel(8), groupmod(8), useradd(8), usermod(8). shadow-utils 4.1.5.1 05/25/2012 USERDEL(8)