Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: /dev/null file issue
Operating Systems AIX /dev/null file issue Post 302772456 by MichaelFelt on Monday 25th of February 2013 05:01:25 PM
Old 02-25-2013
I think a more AIX way of recreating /dev/null on AIX is:

Code:
# rm /dev/null
# cfgmgr

I would be curious to know how it became a character file (implies someone with write perms on /dev removed it, and the first person to write to /dev/null (would be the new owner) recreated it as a regular file. I would expect that there is a script being run by root that is deleting it, and writing it again. Since you show 0 bytes, it is also being truncated as well.

So, your second security issue is when is it being removed? If you cannot answer this, the issue will come back and haunt you.
This User Gave Thanks to MichaelFelt For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Has anyone seen this issue with the /dev/null?

hello all, I am working in a Hpux 11.0 64 bit environment. I am not sure if a third party software is doing this or not, but the admin to this server says it is not a server issue as he has check and double check logs and crons to verify this issue. My problem, is that every now and then, once... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: oott
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating a file / /dev/null

First of all, hello there cOmMuNity ! :cool: Well, I've got two basic questions: 1) In how many ways it's possible to create a file ? I know one manner using "touch", other typing something like echo "" > file ... The fact is that I need to overwrite the file if it exists, and touch... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: 435 Gavea
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Q1 :/dev/null Q2 -A

Hi, Q1-What does nroff -ms > /dev/null Q2- What does mean -A under STAT column : ps aux |head -20 UTIL PID %CPU %MEM SZ RSS TTY STAT STIME TIME COMMAND root 516 93,0 0,0 12 12 - A 04 nov 3906:51 wait Thank you. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
4 Replies

4. Solaris

URGENT - setup port and dump all output to /dev/null or a file

Please help urgently. I need to setup up some sort of service on a solaris server on a port. I dont need it do anything special, anything that is sent to this port from an external server should be dump to /dev/null or a flat file.. Can you help urgently? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/dev/NULL can't open this file ??

when i write the following two statements : cp /dev/NULL /clocal/mqbrkrs/user/mqsiadm/sanjay/dspmq_temp cat /dev/NULL > /clocal/mqbrkrs/user/mqsiadm/sanjay/dspmq_temp its gives me errors like : cp: /dev/NULL: A file or directory in the path name does not exist. cat : /dev/NULL can't open... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
2 Replies

6. Solaris

What is /dev/tty /dev/null and /dev/console

Hi, Anyone can help My solaris 8 system has the following /dev/null , /dev/tty and /dev/console All permission are lrwxrwxrwx Can this be change to a non-world write ?? any impact ?? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: civic2005
12 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev/null 2>&1 Versus /dev/null 2>1

How are these two different? They both prevent output and error from being displayed. I don't see the use of the "&" echo "hello" > /dev/null 2>&1 echo "hello" > /dev/null 2>1 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev/null a file using xargs

Hi, I'm currently using the following command to wipe clean a log file which can't be straight out RM'd: cat /dev/null > server.log I'm building this into a script and I'm current working on a command to run on each machine to do this automatically however I have multiple files so I need... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deehem
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting standard out to /dev/null goes to file "/dev/null" instead

I apologize if this question has been answered else where or is too elementary. I ran across a KSH script (long unimportant story) that does this: if ; then CAS_SRC_LOG="/var/log/cas_src.log 2>&1" else CAS_SRC_LOG="/dev/null 2>&1" fithen does this: /usr/bin/echo "heartbeat:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbmorrisonjr
5 Replies

10. AIX

Size of file /dev/./null 2>&1

Hello Can I just remove/delete flile ? rw-r--r-- 1 root system 2385088512 Jun 30 21:25 /dev/null 2>&1 size of this flile is 2274.75 m and fill up my filesystem: Filesystem MB blocks Used Free %Used Mounted on /dev/hd4 2560.00 2558.59 1.41 100% / (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: primo102
10 Replies
null(n) 																   null(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
null - Create and manipulate null channels SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl package require memchan null _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The command described here is only available in a not-yet released version of the package. Use the CVS to get the sources. null creates a null channel which absorbs everything written into it. Reading from it is not possible, or rather will always return zero bytes. These channels are essentially Tcl-specific variants of the null device for unixoid operating systems (/dev/null). Transfer- ing the generated channel between interpreters is possible but does not make much sense. OPTIONS
Memory channels created by null provide one additional option to set or query. -delay ?milliseconds? A null channel is always writable and readable. This means that all fileevent-handlers will fire continuously. To avoid starvation of other event sources the events raised by this channel type have a configurable delay. This option is set in milliseconds and defaults to 5. A null channel is always writable and never readable. This means that a writable fileevent-handler will fire continuously and a readable fileevent-handler never at all. The exception to the latter is only the destruction of the channel which will cause the delivery of an eof event to a readable handler. SEE ALSO
fifo, fifo2, memchan, random, zero KEYWORDS
channel, i/o, in-memory channel, null COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1996-2003 Andreas Kupries <andreas_kupries@users.sourceforge.net> Memory channels 2.2 null(n)