Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extracting into a remote directory Post 302772142 by MattyV on Saturday 23rd of February 2013 12:55:23 PM
Old 02-23-2013
Many ways to skin a cat...

Kumarjit, this really depends on the OS and way the remote directory is accessed.

For instance if you mount a remote windows box, I strongly recommend using gvfs to mount the remote local directory and file roller to decompress.

If it is a unix box, there are a few options. One would be to simply mount the remote file system.

In my example I create a directory underneath my operational directory, the directory is called "remote".
Next ..
Code:
echho 'test' > test.txt
tar -pczf name_of_your_archive.tar.gz test.txt
ls
name_of_your_archive.tar.gz  remote  test.txt

If the objective is to now deflate into remote...
Code:
cd remote
tar -zxvf ../name_of_your_archive.tar.gz
ls
test.txt

If it is not locally mounted you can use still other approaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumarjt
I need to fit in a module in my Korn Shell script which would extract file_archive.tar.gz residing in the folder /apps/Test of my local machine into a folder /global/ in a remote machine server1.

Please help me on this regard.

Thanks
Kumarjit.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting a field from directory path ??????

Hi I'll be getting a directory path as the input to the script. E.g. 1 abc/fsg/sdfhgsa/fasgfsd/adfghad/XXX/fhsad e.g. 2 sadfg/sadgjhgds/sd/dtuc/cghcx/dtyue/dfghsdd/XXX/qytq This input will be stored in a variable. My query is how to extract the field in a variable VAR which occurs... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
15 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Extracting the different files from directory & its sub directories

Hi Everyone, It would be helpful if someone helps me on this. Requirement: I have a directory which includes different types of files(for example *.java,*.class),but not restricted for only these types. I need to find the same types of file extensions from its directories and subdirectories... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcvasu
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting Directory From Path

Hi guys. I'm doing some bash scripting and have run into a snag. Say I have the path: /home/one/two/three/ All I need is the 'three' while making a filename. Is there an easy way to do this? I've tried using grep (because I'm that smart.) cut (as I'm unable to tell how many fields there... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Drayol
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed/awk for extracting directory from file path

Hi, I have following path: set file_path = D:/forums/prac/somedir/new1/file1.txt or set file_path = E:/new/forums1/prac/somedir/new2/file2.txt I need to grep "somedir" from file path. In this case preceding directory "prac" remains same for both the paths, but directories preceding... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP files from different directory from remote server to one directory in local

Hi All, I want to search for .log files from folders and sub folders in remote server and FTP them to one particular folder in the local machine. I dont want to copy the entire directory tree structure, just have to take all the .log files from all the folders by doing a recursive search from the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dassv
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Zipping a directory and extracting to another server.

Hello everyone, I am trying to make a script in KSH that will zip an entire directory but leave out one file in that directory. I then need to send that zipped directory to another UNIX box. I am new to UNIX and would appreciate a good template to study from. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BrutalBryan
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replicate remote directory to local directory with ftp

I have system that generate files every 1 hours , i only have ftp connection from my local server to remote . $ ls -al -rw-r--r-- 1 water None 0 Feb 7 18:09 a.0800 -rw-r--r-- 1 water None 0 Feb 7 18:09 a.0900 -rw-r--r-- 1 water None 0 Feb 7 18:09 a.1000 is there any perl / php... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: before4
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

One directory, extracting only files to a new directoy

I need a hint for extracting and copying only the loads of .mp3 files from one directory and its subdirectories to get them all into only one directory. This way I am doing gives me a identical copy with hundreds of subdirectories. But I just don't get it to extract only the files. Though I tried... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1in10
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Extracting to another directory using cygwin

I have a file, in Windows, called php_0.27.tar.gz and want to extract it to C:\Program Files\PHP\script through Cygwin using this command: tar -xf php_0.27.tar.gz -C /Program Files/PHP/script But I got an error saying: tar: Files: Not found in archive I tried this command too: ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: steve120
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Extracting directory portion.

Dear Experts, I have some directory structure something like follows. I would like to cut portion of it. Would you please help me? I have to run this on several sql's. The directory path is dynamic. I have cut what comes after first "sql" string. Input:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanth38
3 Replies
GIT-TAR-TREE(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-TAR-TREE(1)

NAME
git-tar-tree - Create a tar archive of the files in the named tree object SYNOPSIS
git tar-tree [--remote=<repo>] <tree-ish> [ <base> ] DESCRIPTION
THIS COMMAND IS DEPRECATED. Use git archive with --format=tar option instead (and move the <base> argument to --prefix=base/). Creates a tar archive containing the tree structure for the named tree. When <base> is specified it is added as a leading path to the files in the generated tar archive. git tar-tree behaves differently when given a tree ID versus when given a commit ID or tag ID. In the first case the current time is used as modification time of each file in the archive. In the latter case the commit time as recorded in the referenced commit object is used instead. Additionally the commit ID is stored in a global extended pax header. It can be extracted using git get-tar-commit-id. OPTIONS
<tree-ish> The tree or commit to produce tar archive for. If it is the object name of a commit object. <base> Leading path to the files in the resulting tar archive. --remote=<repo> Instead of making a tar archive from local repository, retrieve a tar archive from a remote repository. CONFIGURATION
tar.umask This variable can be used to restrict the permission bits of tar archive entries. The default is 0002, which turns off the world write bit. The special value "user" indicates that the archiving user's umask will be used instead. See umask(2) for details. EXAMPLES
git tar-tree HEAD junk | (cd /var/tmp/ && tar xf -) Create a tar archive that contains the contents of the latest commit on the current branch, and extracts it in /var/tmp/junk directory. git tar-tree v1.4.0 git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release. git tar-tree v1.4.0^{tree} git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release, but without a global extended pax header. git tar-tree --remote=example.com:git.git v1.4.0 >git-1.4.0.tar Get a tarball v1.4.0 from example.com. git tar-tree HEAD:Documentation/ git-docs > git-1.4.0-docs.tar Put everything in the current head's Documentation/ directory into git-1.4.0-docs.tar, with the prefix git-docs/. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.7.10.4 11/24/2012 GIT-TAR-TREE(1)