Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Echo not displaying variable in If-Else condition Post 302771924 by Chetanz on Friday 22nd of February 2013 06:55:07 AM
Old 02-22-2013
Hello

Output remains as following i.d. NULL

Code:
Entry valid                  :

Regards
Chetanz

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Display from a variable using echo.

I have a variable that is outputting a lot of space. here has been 45 lines returned ... how can I remove the spaces between the "been and the 45" CODE: fil_len=`wc -l < coshb.txt` if ; then cat coshb.txt | more echo " " echo "There has been ${fil_len} lines... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagannatha
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo variable problem

hi I have say five variable. I would ask the user which one they want me to print and then print accordingly. TEST_1='10.2.3.4' TEST_2='11.2.3.5' TEST_3='12.2.3.5' TEST_4='13.2.3.5' TEST_5='14.2.3.5' print_var() { echo "Accessing var num $1" echo TEST$1 #??? But How do... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sabina
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

assigning variable value using echo

I am modifying an existing script and it has the following line: export SomeEnvVar=`echo ${SomeLocalVar}` Why wouldn't it just read: export SomeEnvVar=${SomeLocalVar} Is there some reason to use echo instead of a direct assignment? :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellburger
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

multiple echo statements in if condition

Hi , I have a peculiar problem. i have an if block like this if ; then echo " todays date is " ${date} >> log_file echo " file count is " $ count >> log_file mv filename1 filename 2 else echo "no files available ">> log_file fi the echo statement "no files available " is not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wizardofoz
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

read variable after echo

Hi, i want to create an user-friendly script where you are asked for two numbers. i would like that these two number to be separated with "--" for example, but i can't figure out how to do this. for example read -p "Insert lowest and highest value: " min ; echo -n "-- "; read max so... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ezitoc
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable not displaying while running in cron job

hi , While running my script individually the variable is working fine. But when i am running the same script from cron job it's displaying nothing. Can any one comment on this. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: josephroyal
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect stdout echo command in condition A run in condition B

hi, I have some problems in my simple script about the redirect echo stdout command inside a condition. Why is the echo command inside the elif still execute in the else command Here are my simple script After check on the two diff output the echo stdout redirect is present in two diff... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo the NAME of the variable

#!/bin/bash varA="AAA1" varB="BBB2" varC="CCC3" for proccx in $varA $varB $varC do echo "the current name is ????? , the value is $proccx" echo " " done #end of script I want the output to look something like this: the current name is varA, the value is AAA1 the current name is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajp7701
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Displaying contents with Echo

Hello, How can i display the below ... say echo "Start \n Analyse \n ~/temp/input.txt \nStop" Now my output should look like below Start Analyse This is from input file Stop I tried echo "Start \n Analyse \n $var \nStop where $var = "~/temp/input.txt".. It did not work out..... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sathyaonnuix
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Variable not displaying in subject line of mailx email

Hi Newbie here with first post. I've got a shell script (ksh) whereby I run a SQL*Plus script and output the results to a file. I then check the output file in an if statement that looks like this: if ]; then export GAPNUM=`awk '{print $4}' $OUTFILE` if ] then mailx -s... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ltzwoman
10 Replies
TPING(1)                                                           LAM COMMANDS                                                           TPING(1)

NAME
tping - Send echo messages to LAM nodes. SYNOPSIS
tping [-hv] [-c count] [-d delay] [-l length] nodes OPTIONS
-h Print the command help menu. -v Turn OFF verbose mode. -c count Send count messages. -d delay Delay delay seconds between each message. -l length Each message is length bytes long. DESCRIPTION
The tping command sends messages to, and collects replies from, a list of nodes, via the LAM echo server. It is similar to the UNIX ping(8) command, and is used as a quick diagnosis of the LAM network. Unless options are specified, tping sends a 1 byte message an infinite number of times, displaying the roundtrip time of each message as it completes, with a delay of 1 second between roundtrips. After the loop is broken (with keyboard interrupt, eg: ^C), tping prints statis- tics about all roundtrip messages. EXAMPLES
tping h Echo messages to the local node. tping -v n7 -l 1000 -c 10 Echo 1000 byte messages to node 7. Stay silent while working. Stop after 10 roundtrips and report statistics. BUGS
There is no built-in timeout and tping will wait forever to receive an echo. If no echo is received, due to a dead link or node, tping hangs. Stop the process with a keyboard suspend signal (eg: ^Z) and terminate LAM with lamhalt(1) or lamwipe(1) (although the use of lamwipe(1) is deprecated). SEE ALSO
lamhalt(1), lamwipe(1) LAM 7.1.4 July, 2007 TPING(1)