Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed to replace specific positions on line with file contents Post 302771918 by balajesuri on Friday 22nd of February 2013 06:11:36 AM
Old 02-22-2013
I hope you have code to store the contents of file "amended_file_01" into variable "amended_file01"; after which a minor adjustment to your sed one-liner should do the trick:
Code:
sed "/^80/s/\(^.\{34\}\).\{15\}\(.*\)/\1$amended_file01\2/" file1

This User Gave Thanks to balajesuri For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

using sed to replace a specific string on a specific line number using variables

using sed to replace a specific string on a specific line number using variables this is where i am at grep -v WARNING output | grep -v spawn | grep -v Passphrase | grep -v Authentication | grep -v '/sbin/tfadmin netguard -C'| grep -v 'NETWORK>' >> output.clean grep -n Destination... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: todd.cutting
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need specific byte positions of a file

Hello , I need to extract data from specific byte positions of a file. I have tried the below command awk ' { printf "%s", substr($0, 642363,642369}' filename to extract data between byte positions 642363 and 642369 . However I did not get the expected result. I am new to awk... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rmv
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script replace positions if certain positions equal prescribed value

I am attempting to replace positions 44-46 with YYY if positions 48-50 = XXX. awk -F "" '{if (substr($0,48,3)=="XXX") $44="YYY"}1' OFS="" $filename > $tempfile But this is not working, 44-46 is still spaces in my tempfile instead of YYY. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: halplessProblem
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace specific contents in a file?

From the existing file, I need to replace specific contents possibly with var every time when the user changes the var. e.g the contents in the file file.txt is 'My name is $n and I am $y years old' and every time user changed the var outside the file, the contents of the file should be created... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Emilywu
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace specific field on specific line sed or awk

I'm trying to update a text file via sed/awk, after a lot of searching I still can't find a code snippet that I can get to work. Brief overview: I have user input a line to a variable, I then find a specific value in this line 10th field in this case. After asking for new input and doing some... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: crownedzero
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line at a specific line number with some other line

my requirement is, consider a file output cat output blah sdjfhjkd jsdfhjksdh sdfs 23423 sdfsdf sdf"sdfsdf"sdfsdf"""""dsf hellow there this doesnt look good et cetc etc etcetera i want to replace a line of line number 4 ("this doesnt look good") with some other line ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - Replace string with file contents

Hello, I have two files: file1 and file2 file1 has the following info: --- host: "localhost" port: 3000 reporter_type: "zookeeper" zk_hosts: - "localhost:2181" file2 contains an IP address (1.1.1.1) What I want to do is replace localhost with 1.1.1.1, so that the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jay Kah
4 Replies

8. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

sed replace file contents by reading from another file

Hello, My input file1 is like this by tab-delimited chr1 mm10_knownGene stop_codon 3216022 3216024 0.000000 - . gene_id "uc007aeu.1"; transcript_id "uc007aeu.1"; chr1 mm10_knownGene CDS 3216025 3216968 0.000000 - 2 gene_id "uc007aeu.1"; transcript_id "uc007aeu.1"; ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and replace specific positions of specific lines

Hi, I have a file with hundreds of lines. I want to search for particular lines starting with 4000, search and replace the 137-139 position characters; which will be '000', with '036'. Can all of this be done without opening a temp file and then moving that temp file to the original file name. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsid
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace specific positions in a file

I have a fixed-length positional file. I am trying to replace content of position 4-13 (length=10) with xxxxxxxxxx. Sample 2 rows in this file: H0187459823 172SMITH, JOE H0112345678 172DOE, JANE In this example 87459823 (from 1st line) and 12345678 (from 2nd line) (both in position... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diver181
3 Replies
REPLACE(1)						       MySQL Database System							REPLACE(1)

NAME
replace - a string-replacement utility SYNOPSIS
replace arguments DESCRIPTION
The replace utility program changes strings in place in files or on the standard input. Note The replace utility is deprecated as of MySQL 5.7.18 and is removed in MySQL 8.0. Invoke replace in one of the following ways: shell> replace from to [from to] ... -- file_name [file_name] ... shell> replace from to [from to] ... < file_name from represents a string to look for and to represents its replacement. There can be one or more pairs of strings. Use the -- option to indicate where the string-replacement list ends and the file names begin. In this case, any file named on the command line is modified in place, so you may want to make a copy of the original before converting it. replace prints a message indicating which of the input files it actually modifies. If the -- option is not given, replace reads the standard input and writes to the standard output. replace uses a finite state machine to match longer strings first. It can be used to swap strings. For example, the following command swaps a and b in the given files, file1 and file2: shell> replace a b b a -- file1 file2 ... replace supports the following options. o -?, -I Display a help message and exit. o -#debug_options Enable debugging. o -s Silent mode. Print less information what the program does. o -v Verbose mode. Print more information about what the program does. o -V Display version information and exit. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 1997, 2018, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved. This documentation is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it only under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; version 2 of the License. This documentation is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with the program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA or see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/. SEE ALSO
For more information, please refer to the MySQL Reference Manual, which may already be installed locally and which is also available online at http://dev.mysql.com/doc/. AUTHOR
Oracle Corporation (http://dev.mysql.com/). MySQL 5.7 06/07/2018 REPLACE(1)