Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help in running a script continuously non stop Post 302771614 by sandeepcm on Thursday 21st of February 2013 05:21:16 AM
Old 02-21-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudiC
Why should it stop - while true will stay true and thus loop forever. Which it does. It will hog CPU like mad, eventually run your 18:30h job in between...
Use Jotne's proposal and you're there.

P.S.: That START: ... GOTO START is a DOSism, I think. I guess it's unavailable in any *nix shell.
Yes RudiC. It is hogging my CPU like anything. But I didn't quite get what Jotne said.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to stop asking password while running shell script?

Hello, I am ftping the file from one unix box to another box. This script works fine. Only problem here is, it is asking the password when ftp the file. How can i stop that. I am providing the password inside the shell script. But it is not accepting this. I need to put this script in crontab.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: govindts
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to stop the script which is running in background

Hi I have a script, which i ran in background, can someone please help in stopping this. i gave this command: ksh abc.ksh & this script sends me a mail every 30 seconds. i have deleted the script but still i am getting the mails. can some one please help me stopping dese. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prateek007
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to stop a script running in remote server from local script

Hi, I have googled for quite some time and couldn't able to get what exactly I am looking for.. My query is "how to stop a shell script which is running inside a remote server, using a script"??? can any one give some suggestions to sort this out. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mannepalli
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to continuously scan a log file

Hello members, I have some doubts on how to write a script that can reports success / failure of a batch job ? 1. Run a batch job: 2. Wait and search for a particular string in the Log file: tail -f log01*.txt | egrep -v "^SUCCESSFUL" echo "continue with the other tasks" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: novice82
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process running? Stop it

I have this "process keepalive" script: #!/bin/bash PIDFILE=/tmp/php.pid PHPSCRIPT=/home/www/mydomain.com/subdomains/www/parser.php echo 'Checking php process from PID file' if ; then PID=`cat $PIDFILE` if ps ax | grep -v grep | grep $PID > /dev/null then echo "php process still... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LukasB
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run a script continuously for 10 minutes

Hi all!! Im using ksh and my OS is Linux. I want to run a script for ten minutes, starting from my current system time. How to acheive this? Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jayaraman
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script for continuously checking status of a another script running in background, and immedia

Hi, I want to write a script which continuously checking status of a script running in background by nohup command. And if same script is not running then immediately start the script...please help.. i am using below command to run script nohup system_traps.sh & but in some... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run a process continuously for an hour then stop?

Hi I have a shell script I would like to run it has to run twice a day every 5 seconds for an hour I can do this with cron but I was hoping there was an easier way. Is there a way to make a process sleep only at a certain time of day say between 1 and 2 pm? Or under certain conditions? Any help... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paul Walker
8 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Script for pinging continuously

Hi, I need to set up a script that would write the results of the ping command from one AIX server to another file may be every minute. Like this I need to gather the data for a period of 24 hours. Can someone please help me with this? G (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggayathri
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shell script for continuously monitoring log file

Hi I have written below log monitoring script to egrep multiple words and redirect the output to a text file and its working fine but I want to add some more below given functionality to it, which is very advance and im not very good in it, so please help if you can :) I am egrepping all the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scazed
1 Replies
ADSL-START(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     ADSL-START(8)

NAME
adsl-start - Shell script to bring up a PPPoE link SYNOPSIS
adsl-start [config_file] adsl-start interface user [config_file] DESCRIPTION
adsl-start is a shell script which starts the Roaring Penguin user-space PPPoE client. If you omit config_file, the default file /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0 is used. If you supply interface and user, then they override the Ethernet interface and user- name settings in the configuration file. AUTHOR
adsl-start was written by David F. Skoll <dfs@roaringpenguin.com>. The pppoe home page is http://www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe/. SEE ALSO
pppoe(8), adsl-stop(8), adsl-connect(8), pppd(8), pppoe.conf(5), adsl-setup(8), adsl-status(8), pppoe-sniff(8), pppoe-relay(8), pppoe- server(8) 4th Berkeley Distribution 21 February 2000 ADSL-START(8)