Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: HPUX 11.23 - Sam and Smh.
Operating Systems HP-UX HPUX 11.23 - Sam and Smh. Post 302771454 by lupin..the..3rd on Wednesday 20th of February 2013 04:28:47 PM
Old 02-20-2013
there's really no reason to use sam or smh for anything. you have all of the same functionality from the command line.

using the individual commands, you can also grant regular users the ability to perform specific privileged tasks (via sudo), rather than giving them the keys to the castle (smh).

we have around 30 hp-ux 11.31 servers, i don't use the tui smh for anything at all, and i have the web gui smh stopped and disabled.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SAM file

I am having a problem on an HP box, where I am being told that there are too many open files. I am also being told I need to change a SAM file. Could some help me understand what a SAM files is and what it is used for. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristian
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

help on sam

hi, any idea how to get more info on the usage, unix equivalent of sam in hp-ux? thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

HP-UX Restricted SAM

I am having trouble getting restricted SAM to work by allocating Privileges to a "group". I can make it work by allocaing to the userid's, but would preferre to use the "group" option. Running B.11.11 Tried the following.... 1) Created a user group in /etc/group first 2) Used the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Andrek
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Script to Use CPUs on a HPUX server to simulate Workload Manager on HPUX.

I am running HPUX and using WLM (workload manager). I want to write a script to fork CPUs to basically take CPUs from other servers to show that the communication is working and CPU licensing is working. Basically, I want to build a script that will use up CPU on a server. Any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpolikowsky
2 Replies

5. HP-UX

pwage-hpux-T for Trusted HPUX servers

I'm sharing this in case anybody needs it. Modified from the original solaris pwage script. This modified hpux script will check /etc/password file on hpux trusted systems search /tcb and grep the required u_succhg field. Calculate days to expiry and notify users via email. original solaris... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcguy
2 Replies

6. HP-UX

SYstem Management Homepage (SMH) Issues - HP-UX 11.11

I have a couple of issues with SMH running on HP-UX 11.11. The version numbers of the modules that I have loaded is below. 1) Does anyone have the "HPUX_EthernetLANEndpoint" or "HPUX_EthernetPort" modules on their server? I am getting errors within the SMH error log stating that these... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JDM_Nokia
2 Replies

7. HP-UX

Tape drive not showing in SMH

We just migrated from an old PA-RISC system to a new rx2800 running 11iv3. I'm trying to get used to the System Management Homepage for general admin tasks. When attempting to do a test backup or restore, the external Ultrium tape is not shown in the device list. I'm looking under Home/System... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jduehmig
5 Replies
xsanadmin(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					      xsanadmin(8)

NAME
xsanadmin -- command-line interface to Mac OS X Server administrative daemon for Xsan SYNOPSIS
xsanadmin [-d | -x] command [command_args] xsanadmin [-h | -v] DESCRIPTION
xsanadmin is a utility for administering services. In general, it gives you access to the same functionality present in the Xsan Admin application. It must be run by root. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -d --debug Print command to the terminal. -h --help Print usage summary and exit. -v --version Print build version and exit. -x --xml Generate output as XML instead of key-value pairs. USAGE
Except when requesting information with xsanadmin -h or xsanadmin -v, you must specify a command to select a specific function to perform. Each command accepts its own arguments. COMMAND SUMMARY
Here are brief descriptions of all the xsanadmin commands: list Returns a list of all available services. start service Starts the specified service. stop service Stops the specified service. status service Returns whether or not the service is running. fullstatus service Returns service specific status information. This generally corresponds to the information shown in the status panel of the Xsan Admin application. settings command_args This command is used to read and write settings information. It can take arguments from the command line or standard input. set can be used instead of settings. command command_args Allows service specific commands to be performed. com can be used instead of command. COMMAND ARGUMENTS
Input and output is done using key value pairs. Keys are specified using colon separated strings, with the first element being the service name (eg. afp:idleDisconnectFlag:adminUsers). Values have types. If the value is in quotes, it is always considered to be a string. Other- wise numbers (5, 10, 8.2) and booleans (yes or no) are converted to the appropriate type. Assignments are always of the form key = value (eg. afp:guestAccess = yes). If only one key needs to be specified (or set), it can be placed on the command line after the command (eg. xsanadmin set afp:guestAccess = yes). However, in some case when doing settings or command, multiple key/value pairs need to be specified. In this case, leaving them out of the argument list (eg. xsanadmin settings) will cause the program to read either keys or key/value pairs from the standard input until an end of file (EOF) is reached. The keys or key/value pairs must be one per line. For settings, if no values are specified for the keys, the key value will be read and printed. Otherwise if there is a key/value pair of the form key = value, the value will be set and then echoed back to the output. In general, the best approach is to fetch the settings for an individual service (eg. xsanadmin settings afp > dumpfile and then using the output as a template for changing settings. Any output when fetching settings can be fed in to set values. When setting array values, special notation is needed. There are two types of arrays. Some arrays have special id keys that allow you to access individual array elements. These are accessed using the special key _array_id followed by the value of the id tag (eg. web:Mod- ules:_array_id:dav_module). To add a new element to such an array, you need to have a special line with a "create" value. For example, to add a new web site to the web configuration, you would need: web:Sites:_array_id:MySite = create web:Sites:_array_id:MySite:enabled = yes etc. To delete an element of an array, use the "delete" value (eg. web:Sites:_array_id:MySite = delete). For command, you always need to specify the command type (eg. afp:command = getConnectedUsers). Commands are highly specific to the individ- ual services. See the examples sections for some possible commands. EXAMPLES
xsanadmin settings all > outfile Stores settings from all services into a file. xsanadmin settings < outfile Will take any settings file and set the values. xsanadmin command < commandFile Will execute a command specified in commandFile. Some examples of commands are: info:command = getHardwareInfo info:variant = withQuotaUsage FILES
/usr/sbin/xsanadmin SEE ALSO
xsanmgrd(8) Mac OS X 04 January 2005 Mac OS X