Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: HPUX 11.23 - Sam and Smh.
Operating Systems HP-UX HPUX 11.23 - Sam and Smh. Post 302771454 by lupin..the..3rd on Wednesday 20th of February 2013 04:28:47 PM
Old 02-20-2013
there's really no reason to use sam or smh for anything. you have all of the same functionality from the command line.

using the individual commands, you can also grant regular users the ability to perform specific privileged tasks (via sudo), rather than giving them the keys to the castle (smh).

we have around 30 hp-ux 11.31 servers, i don't use the tui smh for anything at all, and i have the web gui smh stopped and disabled.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SAM file

I am having a problem on an HP box, where I am being told that there are too many open files. I am also being told I need to change a SAM file. Could some help me understand what a SAM files is and what it is used for. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristian
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

help on sam

hi, any idea how to get more info on the usage, unix equivalent of sam in hp-ux? thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

HP-UX Restricted SAM

I am having trouble getting restricted SAM to work by allocating Privileges to a "group". I can make it work by allocaing to the userid's, but would preferre to use the "group" option. Running B.11.11 Tried the following.... 1) Created a user group in /etc/group first 2) Used the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Andrek
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Script to Use CPUs on a HPUX server to simulate Workload Manager on HPUX.

I am running HPUX and using WLM (workload manager). I want to write a script to fork CPUs to basically take CPUs from other servers to show that the communication is working and CPU licensing is working. Basically, I want to build a script that will use up CPU on a server. Any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpolikowsky
2 Replies

5. HP-UX

pwage-hpux-T for Trusted HPUX servers

I'm sharing this in case anybody needs it. Modified from the original solaris pwage script. This modified hpux script will check /etc/password file on hpux trusted systems search /tcb and grep the required u_succhg field. Calculate days to expiry and notify users via email. original solaris... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcguy
2 Replies

6. HP-UX

SYstem Management Homepage (SMH) Issues - HP-UX 11.11

I have a couple of issues with SMH running on HP-UX 11.11. The version numbers of the modules that I have loaded is below. 1) Does anyone have the "HPUX_EthernetLANEndpoint" or "HPUX_EthernetPort" modules on their server? I am getting errors within the SMH error log stating that these... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JDM_Nokia
2 Replies

7. HP-UX

Tape drive not showing in SMH

We just migrated from an old PA-RISC system to a new rx2800 running 11iv3. I'm trying to get used to the System Management Homepage for general admin tasks. When attempting to do a test backup or restore, the external Ultrium tape is not shown in the device list. I'm looking under Home/System... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jduehmig
5 Replies
sysman_menu(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    sysman_menu(8)

NAME
sysman_menu - Graphical interface to run system management tasks SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/sysman [-ui cui | gui] [-display displayname] [-menu] /usr/sbin/sysman [-accel] <accelerator> [arguments] /usr/sbin/sysman [-menu] <name> [arguments] /usr/sbin/sysman [-menu] -list /usr/sbin/sysman [-menu] -help | -h /usr/sbin/sysman -focus hostname OPTIONS
Specifies the user interface to be invoked. The choices are: Specifies command line interface. Specifies graphical user interface. Speci- fies the display screen on where sysman_menu displays its window. If the display option is not specified, sysman_menu uses the display screen specified by your DISPLAY environment variable. The display option has the format hostname:server.number. The default is :0.0. For more information, see the X(1X) reference page. In a TruCluster environment, some management tasks effect the cluster as a whole and some are local to a specific cluster member. If a task requires focus, the "Choose a host to manage" dialog box will be displayed. To launch the task directly, bypassing this dialog box, you can specify the -focus option. Directly invokes the task with that accelerator. Any arguments are passed on to the task itself. Use sysman -list for a list of the accelerators. If the accelerator is for a branch of the menu and not an executable task, then the menu hierarchy is expanded to display the con- tents of the specified branch. Same as -accel option but the name of the task as displayed in the SysMan Menu is specified. For example, sysman -menu "Manage local users". Any arguments are passed on to the task itself. The name is for a branch of the menu and not an executable task, then the menu hierarchy is expanded to display the contents of the specified branch. Displays a list of all the tasks that can be run from the SysMan Menu and their accelerators. Displays help for the SysMan Menu. DESCRIPTION
SysMan Menu is used by the system administrator to obtain system management data and run selected system management tasks. SysMan Menu pro- vides a menu of system management tasks in a tree type display, with branches of management categories and leaves of actual tasks. Select- ing a leaf or tasks invokes a task, which displays a dialog for performing the task. SysMan Menu and its associated tasks can be run on an X Windows display, a terminal with curses capability, locally on a PC, or from a Web browser. For detailed information in running SysMan Menu from a PC or a Web browser, please use your Web browser and go to: http://your_machine_name:2301/SYSMAN/index.html. Online help is available for the SysMan Menu. To get help, select the Help button. RESTRICTIONS
You must have root privileges to perform most tasks with this application. You can grant root privileges for specific users or groups of users using the Division of Privileges (DOP) application. See the dop(8) reference page and the online help in the sysman dopconfig appli- cation for additional information. You must have the root privileges to execute some of the tasks on the SysMan Menu. EXAMPLES
The following example shows how to launch the Manage local users task from the command line using an accelerator name: sysman -accel users The following example shows how to invoke SysMan Menu in curses mode: sysman -ui cui The following example shows how to get a listing of tasks and their accelerators: sysman -list The following example, displays the status of the NFS related daemons on a remote cluster mem- ber: sysman -focus nfs_config_status SEE ALSO
Commands: sysman_station(8), sysman_cli(8), sysman_clone(8), sysman(8) System Administration http://your_machine_name:2301/SYSMAN/index.html sysman_menu(8)