Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Create a flat file and directory structure Post 302771236 by heros on Wednesday 20th of February 2013 04:49:29 AM
Old 02-20-2013
Create a flat file and directory structure

Hi All,

is there any work around to generate the file and directory structure like below at left side at Output? and exclude all file except .abc .txt

Current Directory structure

Code:
|-------------files
|-----------------dir1
|-----------------dir2
|-----------------dir3
|-----------------dir4
|-----------------dir5
|-----------------dir6
|-----------------dir7
|-----------------dir8
|-------------------IMG
|---------------------IMG001
|---------------------IMG002
|-----------------------1234.abc
|-----------------------abcd.txt
|---------------------IMG
|-----------------------IMG1
|-----------------------IMG2
|-------------------Sample
|---------------------hello
|-----------------------prod
|-------------------------NAD
|---------------------------NAT
|-------------------------TEXT
|---------------------------TEXTILE1
|-----------------------IMAG
|-------------------------IMAG1
|-------------------------IMAG2
|-----------------dir9
|-----------------dir10
|-----------------dir11

print Output file look like this

Code:
1 files    
1.1 Share
1.1.1 dir1
1.1.2 dir2    
1.1.3 dir3
1.1.4 dir4
1.1.5 dir5
1.1.6 dir6
1.1.7 dir7
1.1.8 dir8
1.1.8.1 IMG
1.1.8.1.1 IMG001    
1.1.8.1.2 IMG002    
1.1.8.1.2.1 1234.abc        
1.1.8.1.2.2 abcd.txt    
1.1.8.2 00001            
1.1.8.2.1 IMG                
1.1.8.2.1.1    IMG1            
1.1.8.2.1.2    IMG2            
1.1.8.3    Sample                
1.1.8.3.1 hello                
1.1.8.3.1.1    prod            
1.1.8.3.1.1.1 NAD            
1.1.8.3.1.1.1.1 NAT            
1.1.8.3.1.1.1.2    TEXT        
1.1.8.3.1.1.2.2.1 TEXTILE1    
1.1.8.3.2 00002                
1.1.8.3.2.1 IMAG            
1.1.8.3.2.1.1 IMAG1        
1.1.8.3.2.1.2 IMAG2        
1.1.9 dir9                
1.1.10 dir10            
1.1.11 dir11

Thank you

Last edited by heros; 02-20-2013 at 10:08 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

MV files from one directory structure(multiple level) to other directory structure

Hi, I am trying to write a script that will move all the files from source directory structure(multiple levels might exist) to destination directory structure. If a sub folder is source doesnot exist in destination then I have to skip and goto next level. I also need to delete the files in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: srmadab
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to Create this file format structure

This data comes form the table and exported into the file in this format File1 Format weboffercode1,sourcecode1,1,1,1,1,1,1 weboffercode1,sourcecode2,1,1,1,1,1,1 weboffercode1,sourcecode1,1,1,1,1,1,1 weboffercode1,sourcecode3,1,1,1,1,1,1 weboffercode1,sourcecode3,1,1,1,1,1,1 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: enigma_83
4 Replies

3. Programming

compare XML/flat file with UNIX file system structure

Before i start doing something, I wanted to know whether the approach to compare XML file with UNIX file system structure. I have a pre-configured file(contains a list of paths to executables) and i need to check against the UNIX directory structure. what are the various approches should i use ? I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shafi2all
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create a directory structure with getting input from a file.

Hi How to create a directory structure with getting input from a file. I have file in that following lines are written. ./activemq-4.1.2/activemq-core-4.1.2.jar ./activemq-4.1.2/backport-util-concurrent-2.1.jar ./camel-1.4.0/apache-camel-1.4.0.jar ./camel-1.4.0/lib/activation-1.1.jar... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: itsjoy2u
12 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

create tar archive without preserving directory structure?

I am adding some individual files to a tar archive and would like them to be added to the archive without any directory hierarchy, even though the files themselves exist in levels of hierarchy. Unfortunately, tar seems to always preserve the directory hierarchy when it adds the files. Here is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Special_K
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find mv and create directory structure

Hi there, I'm trying to pull all my flacs out of my Music collection. I can do it with following command find b/ -name *.flac -exec mv {} flac/ \; which works great except it moves all the flac files to the flac folder. I want it to recreate the original folder the flacs were found in and mv... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: fistikuffs
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How we can create the master file through shell to show the tree structure of the directory?

Can we create the master file that show the whole tree structure of the directory till a particular folder? Database that contains four sub repository Sybase,sql,oracle,mysql and sql and oracle contains two subrepostories Siebel and plsql and each repositories contains three folders... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rohit22hamirpur
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename last directory in a file structure

I have to write a script to rename the every last sub-directory in a directory structure if the last sub-directory name doesn't contain "submitted". eg: given directory path:/u01/home/somedir somedir can have many subdirectories and each subdirectory inturn has many subdirectories. somedir... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramse8pc
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create Directory structure

Hello ; ) again Now I have my file like this : DIR2/DIR3 DIR2 DIR2/DIR3/DIR4/DIR5 I am looking for help to create a loop that will create the directory structure. I need something like this : If "DIR2" does not exist > Create IF "DIR2" exist already > check if onther "DIR"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aswex
5 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

Create a bash array from a flat file of whitespaces only.

Hi guys and gals... MacBook Pro. OSX 10.13.2, default bash terminal. I have a flat file 1920 bytes in size of whitespaces only. I need to put every single whitespace character into a bash array cell. Below are two methods that work, but both are seriously ugly. The first one requires that I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
7 Replies
mv(1)							      General Commands Manual							     mv(1)

NAME
mv - Moves files and directories SYNOPSIS
mv [-i | -f] [--] file1 file2 mv [-i | -f] [--] file1... directory mv [-i | -f] [--] directory1... destination_directory The mv command moves files from one directory to another or renames files and directories. STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: mv: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
Overrides the -i option and any mode restrictions. (If both -f and -i are specified--for example, because an alias includes one of them--whichever appears last overrides the other.) Prompts you with the name of the file followed by a question mark whenever a move is to supersede an existing file. If the answer begins with y, or the locale's equivalent of a y, the move continues. Any other reply prevents the move from occurring. (If both -f and -i are specified--for example, because an alias includes one of them--whichever appears last over- rides the other.) Interprets all following arguments to mv as file names. This allows file names to start with a - (dash). DESCRIPTION
If you move a file to a new directory, mv retains the original file name. When you move a file, all other links to the file remain intact. In the second form, one or more files are moved to directory with their original file names. In the third form, one or more directories are moved to the destination directory with their original names. The mv command does not move a file onto itself. When you use mv to rename a file, the target file can be either a new file name or a new directory path name. If moving the file would overwrite an existing file that does not have write permission set and if standard input is a terminal, mv displays the permission code of the file to be overwritten and reads one line from standard input. If the line begins with y, or the locale's equivalent of a y, the move takes place and the file is overwritten. If not, mv does nothing with the file. When you use mv to move a directory into an existing directory, the directory and its contents are added under the existing directory. The LC_MESSAGES variable determines the locale's equivalent of y or n (for yes/no queries). If a mv operation fails, mv generally writes a diagnostic message to standard error, does nothing more with the current source file, and goes on to process any remaining source files. If the copying or removal of a file is prematurely terminated by a signal or error, mv might leave a partial copy of the file at either the source or the target path name. The mv program does not modify the source and target path names simultaneously; therefore, program termina- tion at any point always leaves either the source file or the target file complete. NOTES
[Tru64 UNIX] If the source is on a different file system than the destination, mv must copy the source to the destination's file system and then delete the source. The effect is equivalent to the following: rm -f destination && cp -pr source destination && rm -rf source The mv command might overwrite existing files. Specify the -i option last on the command line to cause the mv command to prompt you before it moves a file. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: All files were moved successfully. An error occurred. EXAMPLES
To rename a file, enter: mv file1 file2 This renames file1 to file2. If a file named file2 already exists, its old contents are replaced with those of file1. To move a directory, enter: mv dir1 dir2 This moves dir1 to dir2. It moves dir1 and all files and directories under dir1 to the directory named dir2, if the second direc- tory exists. Otherwise, the directory dir1 gets renamed dir2. To move a file to another directory and give it a new name, enter: mv file1 dir1/file2 This moves file1 to dir1/file2. The name file1 is removed from the current directory, and the same file appears as file2 in the directory dir1. To move a file to another directory, keeping the same name, enter: mv file1 dir1 This moves file1 to dir1/file1. To move several files into another directory, enter: mv file1 dir1/file2 /u/dir2 This moves file1 to /u/dir2/file1 and dir1/file2 to /u/dir2/file2. To use mv with pattern-matching characters, enter: mv dir1/* . This moves all files in the directory dir1 into the current directory (.), giving them the same names they had in dir1. This also empties dir1. Note that you must type a space between the * (asterisk) and the (dot). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of mv: Provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the internationalization vari- ables contain an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization variables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multibyte characters in arguments). Determines the locale for the for- mat and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of LC_MESSAGES. SEE ALSO
Commands: cp(1), ln(1), rm(1) Functions: rename(2) Standards: standards(5) mv(1)