Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: While loop variable
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting While loop variable Post 302770331 by zaxxon on Friday 15th of February 2013 08:32:53 AM
Old 02-15-2013
Doesn't your shell show any error on this line when executing the script?
Code:
select count(*) from $tabname" > /dev/null

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable in a for loop

Hi... i am trying to ping my servers .The hostnames are present in a file .They are separated by spaces in the file . i am doing the following : a=1 for name in $(cat host2 |cut -d" " -f$a) do echo Pinging server $name ping -c5 $name a=$a+1 done It is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sars
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

loop through variable

i have these data in a variable "$test" BUNGA TERATAI 3 5055 ITH 1 1 JADE TRADER 143W ITH 4 4 MOL SPLENDOR 0307A ITH 3 3 the red coloured are the ones that i want to take and compare what I need to do is to take out the red coloured and then compare to another variable, if same then... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: finalight
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop Variable

Hi, Is it possible to assign one variable to other. eg. v1="table1" v2="20000" I want table1 to assign 20000 table1=20000 Is there any way? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SushilM
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with variable using loop

Hi I have webserver that I do read data from. Data are stored like this: Huston |1 Portland |2 Hazen |1 Minneapolis |4 Albany |1 Pittsburg |1 Albany |1 Huston |1 Portland|1 Hazen |2 Albany |2 Huston |1 Hazen |1 Script #!/bin/sh user="admin" (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jotne
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop with one variable as the name of other

Hello all, I find it hard to explain what I need so I will post the code OVZINCLUDE="16810 16811 1689" PLUS_16810="test" PLUS_16811="test" for VPS in $OVZINCLUDE do echo "Dumping VPSes: $OVZINCLUDE " vzdump --compress --snapshot ${PLUS_$VPS} $VPS done ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: click
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SHELL: /bin/sh] For loop using variable variable names

Simple enough problem I think, I just can't seem to get it right. The below doesn't work as intended, it's just a function defined in a much larger script: CheckValues() { for field in \ Group_ID \ Group_Title \ Rule_ID \ Rule_Severity \ ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vryali
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

printing variable with variable suffix through loop

I have a group of variables myLINEcnt1 - myLINEcnt10. I'm trying to printout the values using a for loop. I am at the head banging stage since i'm sure it has to be a basic syntax issue that i can't figure out. For myIPgrp in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10; do here i want to output the value of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: oly_r
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Loop and variable not exactly variable: what's wrong

Hello guys, This truly is a newbie question. I'm trying to make a loop to execute simultaneous commands indefinitely while using variable. Here is how my mess looks like (this is just an example): #!/bin/bash IP=`shuf -n 1 IP.txt` # I figured this would be easier to select random lines... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobylapointe
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array Variable being Assigned Values in Loop, But Gone when Loop Completes???

Hello All, Maybe I'm Missing something here but I have NOOO idea what the heck is going on with this....? I have a Variable that contains a PATTERN of what I'm considering "Illegal Characters". So what I'm doing is looping through a string containing some of these "Illegal Characters". Now... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] How to increment and add variable length numbers to a variable in a loop?

Hi All, I have a file which has hundred of records with fixed number of fields. In each record there is set of 8 characters which represent the duration of that activity. I want to sum up the duration present in all the records for a report. The problem is the duration changes per record so I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: danish0909
5 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)