Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Vmstat fault section all values are 0 Post 302770317 by zaxxon on Friday 15th of February 2013 07:26:49 AM
Old 02-15-2013
High PIDs on up-to-date AIX systems are ok. I remember it was a problem (or could have been) on AIX 4.3.3? 5.2?, but it's too long ago to say for sure, sorry.

I have not yet seen so many zeros in vmstat output. Must not mean much but looks strange for me.

The <defunct> processes are really not a good sign. They are zombies, failures of the program.
You say that you have so many processes so that the maximum number of processes per user is hit. How do you know this?
Do you have your box tuned with the recommendations for Oracle like setting at least maxuproc=4096. If it is on the default value, it will be too low most probably. That could be related to the Oracle error messages you get.
Here is a discussion about it:
https://forums.oracle.com/forums/thr...sageID=3445541

But you also find it in setup/tuning recommendations for Oracle on AIX.

Beside all that you should also have a look at the entries in the Error Report of AIX (errpt).

Last edited by zaxxon; 02-15-2013 at 09:06 AM.. Reason: phrasing

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

reset values for vmstat

How do you reset the values that vmstat displays? Vmstat displays a running average from the last the system was restarted on the first line, how do you reset these values without restarting the system? (Solaris 8) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kuczerp
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vmstat

When I exeute vmstat (e.g. vmstat 30 2), in some machines I get some wierd result as the first line. like: -117% or 208% for CPU idle percentage. But the second line is alright. Could someone explain this please. Thanks ! Chaadana (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chaandana
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vmstat

Hi I wanted to collect data by using vmstat -I 60 >xxxx.txt & using my own account It was stopped by it self after 2 hours try again same result We want to collect day date by succession how to collect data using vmstat for day Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Syed_45
2 Replies

4. Linux

vmstat help

Hi everyone, I need to see some VM manager performance/behavior information on some Linux boxes regarding pages scanned/activation of the paging algorithm in order to get an idea if a given server needs more memory and is actually paging. In Aix servers, by using the vmstat cmd you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcpetela
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract section of file based on word in section

I have a list of Servers in no particular order as follows: virtualMachines="IIBSBS IIBVICDMS01 IIBVICMA01"And I am generating some output from a pre-existing script that gives me the following (this is a sample output selection). 9/17/2010 8:00:05 PM: Normal backup using VDRBACKUPS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jelloir
2 Replies

6. AIX

fr and sr (from vmstat output) values are very high

Hi AIX Expert, the fr (page freed/page replacement) and sr (pages scanned by page-replacement algorithm) values from the vmstat output (see below please) are very high. I usually see this high value during the oracle database backup. In addition, the page scan/page steal/ page faults values... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Beginer0705
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Prepend first line of section to each line until the next section header

I have searched in a variety of ways in a variety of places but have come up empty. I would like to prepend a portion of a section header to each following line until the next section header. I have been using sed for most things up until now but I'd go for a solution in just about anything--... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pagrus
7 Replies

8. Programming

Using gdb, ignore beginning segmentation fault until reproduce environment segmentation fault

I use a binary name (ie polo) it gets some parameter , so for debugging normally i do this : i wrote script for watchdog my app (polo) and check every second if it's not running then start it , the problem is , if my app , remain in state of segmentation fault for a while (ie 15 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pooyair
6 Replies

9. Linux

Vmstat

I m checking idle time using vmstat, below are the results var=$(ssh wmtmgr@$hostname vmstat | tail -1 | awk '{print $15}') 89 and now im subtracting 89 with 100 & im getting expected results expr 100 - $var 11 Now How can I get the result 11 in one line code? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam@sam
4 Replies

10. Programming

C. To segmentation fault or not to segmentation fault, that is the question.

Oddities with gcc, 2.95.3 for the AMIGA and 4.2.1 for MY current OSX 10.14.1... I am creating a basic calculator for the AMIGA ADE *NIX emulator in C as it does not have one. Below are two very condensed snippets of which I have added the results inside the each code section. IMPORTANT!... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
11 Replies
OCF_HEARTBEAT_ORACLE(7) 					OCF resource agents					   OCF_HEARTBEAT_ORACLE(7)

NAME
ocf_heartbeat_oracle - Manages an Oracle Database instance SYNOPSIS
oracle [start | stop | status | monitor | meta-data | validate-all] DESCRIPTION
Resource script for oracle. Manages an Oracle Database instance as an HA resource. SUPPORTED PARAMETERS
sid The Oracle SID (aka ORACLE_SID). (unique, required, string, no default) home The Oracle home directory (aka ORACLE_HOME). If not specified, then the SID along with its home should be listed in /etc/oratab. (optional, string, no default) user The Oracle owner (aka ORACLE_OWNER). If not specified, then it is set to the owner of file $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/*${ORACLE_SID}.ora. If this does not work for you, just set it explicitely. (optional, string, no default) ipcrm Sometimes IPC objects (shared memory segments and semaphores) belonging to an Oracle instance might be left behind which prevents the instance from starting. It is not easy to figure out which shared segments belong to which instance, in particular when more instances are running as same user. .sp What we use here is the "oradebug" feature and its "ipc" trace utility. It is not optimal to parse the debugging information, but I am not aware of any other way to find out about the IPC information. In case the format or wording of the trace report changes, parsing might fail. There are some precautions, however, to prevent stepping on other peoples toes. There is also a dumpinstipc option which will make us print the IPC objects which belong to the instance. Use it to see if we parse the trace file correctly. .sp Three settings are possible: .sp - none: don't mess with IPC and hope for the best (beware: you'll probably be out of luck, sooner or later) - instance: try to figure out the IPC stuff which belongs to the instance and remove only those (default; should be safe) - orauser: remove all IPC belonging to the user which runs the instance (don't use this if you run more than one instance as same user or if other apps running as this user use IPC) .sp The default setting "instance" should be safe to use, but in that case we cannot guarantee that the instance will start. In case IPC objects were already left around, because, for instance, someone mercilessly killing Oracle processes, there is no way any more to find out which IPC objects should be removed. In that case, human intervention is necessary, and probably _all_ instances running as same user will have to be stopped. The third setting, "orauser", guarantees IPC objects removal, but it does that based only on IPC objects ownership, so you should use that only if every instance runs as separate user. .sp Please report any problems. Suggestions/fixes welcome. (optional, string, default instance) clear_backupmode The clear of the backup mode of ORACLE. (optional, boolean, default false) shutdown_method How to stop Oracle is a matter of taste it seems. The default method ("checkpoint/abort") is: .sp alter system checkpoint; shutdown abort; .sp This should be the fastest safe way bring the instance down. If you find "shutdown abort" distasteful, set this attribute to "immediate" in which case we will .sp shutdown immediate; .sp If you still think that there's even better way to shutdown an Oracle instance we are willing to listen. (optional, string, default checkpoint/abort) SUPPORTED ACTIONS
This resource agent supports the following actions (operations): start Starts the resource. Suggested minimum timeout: 120. stop Stops the resource. Suggested minimum timeout: 120. status Performs a status check. Suggested minimum timeout: 5. monitor Performs a detailed status check. Suggested minimum timeout: 30. Suggested interval: 120. validate-all Performs a validation of the resource configuration. Suggested minimum timeout: 5. methods Suggested minimum timeout: 5. meta-data Retrieves resource agent metadata (internal use only). Suggested minimum timeout: 5. EXAMPLE
The following is an example configuration for a oracle resource using the crm(8) shell: primitive p_oracle ocf:heartbeat:oracle params sid=string op monitor depth="0" timeout="30" interval="120" SEE ALSO
http://www.linux-ha.org/wiki/oracle_(resource_agent) AUTHOR
Linux-HA contributors (see the resource agent source for information about individual authors) resource-agents UNKNOWN 03/09/2014 OCF_HEARTBEAT_ORACLE(7)