Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Production to DR switch
Special Forums IP Networking Production to DR switch Post 302770095 by bakunin on Thursday 14th of February 2013 12:12:33 PM
Old 02-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by hicksd8
Both node A & B would have their "hardwired - never to change" IP addresses and the cluster suite presents a pseudo ip address to all clients. The clients only ever access this pseudo ip address (and don't know about the real ip addresses). When failover occurs the suite moves the pseudo ip address to the other node and the clients are none the wiser (apart from perhaps a few seconds hang).
This is very similar to what HACMP (IBMs failover software for AIX) does too. In HACMPs wording what you call "pseudo IP" is called "service IP" and technically it is an IP alias, which is moved with the "resource group" (a group of mounted file systems, start-/stop-scripts for the application and said IP address(es)).

I hope this helps.

bakunin

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need help.. ! Production Env.

Hi ! I want to delete a softlink... with a name.. " -> ALCATEL " FYI:- lrwxrwxrwx 1 infomcm develop 32 Dec 3 2007 COX -> /wlsuite/om/cm/build/sandbox/COX lrwxrwxrwx 1 infomcm develop 33 Jul 21 05:52 WL10 -> /wlsuite/om-cm/build/sandbox/WL10 lrwxrwxrwx 1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashok.83
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to access console of a switch having rj45 on switch side to db 9 female on pc side console cable

hi, how to access console of a switch having rj45 on switch side to db 9 female on pc side console cable which needs to be connected to one console server having rj11 on its side and db 9 female on other end.i.e. on switch side,console cable has rj45 and db 9 pin female connector on other side of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pankajd
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To know the server which the production is pointing to?

Hi, How to know which server(Application or webserver) the production link or url is pointing to? Is there any command to get the server IP address? Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
3 Replies

4. BSD

Copying OpenBSD Kernel from a non production to production machine

Hi All, There are few OpenBSD 4.8 servers without compiler installed at my working place. However, sometimes there are some patches released for patching the kernel. My question is: Can I setup a non production OpenBSD 4.8 server as a test machine with compiler installed and use it to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lcxpics
1 Replies
pseudo(4)							   File Formats 							 pseudo(4)

NAME
pseudo - configuration files for pseudo device drivers DESCRIPTION
Pseudo devices are devices that are implemented entirely in software. Drivers for pseudo devices must provide driver configuration files to inform the system of each pseudo device that should be created. Configuration files for pseudo device drivers must identify the parent driver explicitly as pseudo, and must create an integer property called instance which is unique to this entry in the configuration file. Each entry in the configuration file creates a prototype devinfo node. Each node is assigned an instance number which is determined by the value of the instance property. This property is only applicable to children of the pseudo parent, and is required since pseudo devices have no hardware address from which to determine the instance number. See driver.conf(4) for further details of configuration file syntax. EXAMPLES
Example 1 A sample configuration file. Here is a configuration file called ramdisk.conf for a pseudo device driver that implements a RAM disk. This file creates two nodes called "ramdisk". The first entry creates ramdisk node instance 0, and the second creates ramdisk node, instance 1, with the additional disk-size property set to 512. # # Copyright (c) 1993, by Sun Microsystems, Inc. # #ident "@(#)ramdisk.conf 1.3 93/06/04 SMI" name="ramdisk" parent="pseudo" instance=0; name="ramdisk" parent="pseudo" instance=1 disk-size=512; SEE ALSO
driver.conf(4), ddi_prop_op(9F) Writing Device Drivers SunOS 5.11 15 Jun 1993 pseudo(4)