Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need a script to convert comma delimited files to semi colon delimited Post 302769997 by CarpKing on Thursday 14th of February 2013 06:00:45 AM
Old 02-14-2013
Hi Pamu,

Thanks for the suggestion ... as I mentioned I am a complete newbie and dont know how I would write the script at all. Please could you give me a more detailed example that I could test on my data?

Many thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Tab delimited file to Comma delimited file in Unix

Hi, Can anyone let me know on how to convert a Tab delimited file to Comma delimited file in Unix Thanks!! (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: charan81
22 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to convert this file into comma delimited format

Hi experts, I need urget help! I have the a text file with this format: Types of fruits Name of fruits 1,1 Farm_no,1 apple,1 pineapple,1 grapes,1 orange,1 banana,1 2,2--->this is the record seperator Farm_no,2 apple,1 pineapple,1 grapes,3 orange,2 banana,1 3,3--->this is the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: natalie23
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Urgent! need help! how to convert this file into comma delimited format

Hi experts, I need urget help! I have the a text file with this format: Types of fruits Name of fruits 1,1 Farm_no,1 apple,1 pineapple,1 grapes,1 orange,1 banana,1 2,2--->this is the record seperator Farm_no,2 apple,1 pineapple,1 grapes,3 orange,2 banana,1 3,3--->this is the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: natalie23
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert a space delimited file into a pipe delimited file using shellscript?

Hi All, I have space delimited file similar to the one as shown below.. I need to convert it as a pipe delimited, the values inside the pipe delimited file should be as highlighted... AA ATIU2345098809 009697 005374 BB ATIU2345097809 005445 006518 CC ATIU9685098809 003215 003571 DD... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nithins007
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to convert comma delimited file to tab separator

Hi all, How can i convert comma delimited .csv file to tab separate using sed command or script. Thanks, Krupa (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krupasindhu18
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert a comma delimited string to records or lines of text?

Hi, I am not sure if I've posted this question before. Anyway, I previously asked about converting lines of text into a comma delimited string. Now I am needing to do the other way around ... :( :o Can anyone advise how is this possible? Example as below: Converting records/lines to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to convert a pipe delimited text file to tab delimited

Hi, I have a rquirement in unix as below . I have a text file with me seperated by | symbol and i need to generate a excel file through unix commands/script so that each value will go to each column. ex: Input Text file: 1|A|apple 2|B|bottle excel file to be generated as output as... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: raja kakitapall
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help/Advise please for converting space delimited string variable to comma delimited with quote

Hi, I am wanting to create a script that will construct a SQL statement based on a a space delimited string that it read from a config file. Example of the SQL will be For example, it will read a string like "AAA BBB CCC" and assign to a variable named IN_STRING. I then concatenate... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux convert Comma delimited file to pipe

I have file in linux with comma delimited and string fields in double quotations ", I need to convert them to pipe delimiter please share your inputs. Example: Input: "2017-09-30","ACBD,TVF","01234",NULL,18,NULL,"686091802","BANK OF ABCD, LIMITED, THE",790456 Output: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shieksir
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need help on an old post - How to convert a comma delimited string to records or lines of text?

Hi, Apologies in advance to the moderator if I am posting this the wrong way. I've searched and found the solution to an old post but as it is a very old post, I don't see an option to update it with additional question. The question I have is in relation to the following post: How to... (6 Replies)
6 Replies
RDSWAP(1)						      General Commands Manual							 RDSWAP(1)

["NAME"]
       rdswap - a multi-language RD documents support tool

["SYNOPSIS"]
       rdswap [ -h | -v ] filename ...

["DESCRIPTION"]
       This tool is written to support you to write multi-language documents using the Ruby-Document-Format (RD).

The idea for such a tool was originated by Minero Aoki, how has thought about, how to make life easier for developers who have to write and
       maintain scripts in more than one language.

You have to specify at least two filenames on the command line. One containing the Ruby script, the second containing a translated  RD.	If
       the  script  does  not  end  with `.rb', it has to be the first filename mentioned on the command line! In opposition, all files containing
       translations must not ending with `.rb'! They should use a extension that describes the language. So that would give us the following  pic-
       ture:

o sample.rb : Script contains the original documentation.

o sample.jp : Documentation written in Japanese.

o sample.de : Translation to German.

The  tool doesn't care about the language extensions. You can name them as you like! So the file containing the Japanese translation above,
       could also be names e.g. `sample.japan' or even `japantranslation.japan'.

For every translation file, a new file will be created. The name is build from the script filename plus the language extension. So  regard-
       ing the example above, following files would be created:

o sample.rb.jp

o sample.rb.de

or, given the alternative translation filename as mentioned above...

o sample.rb.japan

["How does it work?"]
       The  contents  of all files will be split into source and RD blocks. The source of the translation files, will be discarded! Every RD block
       may be of a certain type. The type will be taken from the contents directly following the `=begin' on the same line. If	there  is  only  a
       lonely `=begin' on a line by itself, the type of the block is `nil'. That means in
	   # File sample.rd
	   :
	   =begin
	    bla bla
	   =end
	   :
	   =begin whatever or not
	    blub blub
	   =end
	   :

the first block would be of type `nil' and the second one of type `whatever or not'.

Block  types  are  important for the translation. If a source will be generated from a script and a translation file, only these blocks are
       taken from the translation files, that comes in the right sequence and contains the same type as the block in the script! For example:
	   # File sample.rb
	   :
	   =begin gnark
	    Some comment
	   =end
	   :
	   =begin
	    block 2
	   =end
	   :
	   =begin
	    block 3
	   =end
	   :

# File sample.de
	   :
	   =begin
	    Block zwei
	   =end
	   :
	   =begin
	    Block drei
	   =end
	   :

Here, the first block of `sample.rb' will *not* be translated, as there is no translation block with that type in sample.de! So	the  first
       block  would  be  inserted as-it-is into the translated script. The blocks afterwards, however, are translated as the block type does match
       (it is `nil' there).

Attention: In a translation file, a second block will only be used, if a first one was already used (matched). A third block will  only	be
       used, if a second one was used already!

That  means,  if the first block of `sample.de' would be of type e.g. `Never match', then no block would ever be taken to replace anyone of
       `sample.rb'.

["OPTIONS"]
       ["-h"]
	      shows this help text.

["-v"]
	      shows some more text during processing.

["filename"]
	      means a file, that contains RD and/or Ruby code.

["EXAMPLES"]
	   rdswap -v sample.rb sample.ja sample.de
	   rdswap -v sample.ja sample.rb sample.de
	   rdswap -v sample.ja sample.de sample.rb
	   rdswap -v sample.??

["AUTHORS"]
       Clemens Hintze <c.hintze@gmx.net>.

June 2012								 RDSWAP(1)