Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need a script to convert comma delimited files to semi colon delimited Post 302769988 by CarpKing on Thursday 14th of February 2013 05:26:33 AM
Old 02-14-2013
Need a script to convert comma delimited files to semi colon delimited

Hi All,

I need a unix script to convert .csv files to .skv files (changing a comma delimited file to a semi colon delimited file). I am a unix newbie and so don't know where to start. The script will be scheduled using cron and needs to convert each .csv file in a particular folder to a .skv equivalent and create a token in the folder to show completion as well as a log showing the number of files and records converted for auditing.

Sample data ... before conversion

Code:
27981,13,"0901"," ","B18975362",1,"C",17,"1"," "," "," "
24875,12,"0901"," ","B24578942",0,"F",17,"0"," "," "," "

Sample data ... after conversion

Code:
27981;13;0901;;B18975362;1;C;17;1;;;;^ 
24875;12;0901;;B24578942;0;F;17;0;;;;^

Please note that the number of columns in each file to be converted could be different, but that each .skv should have the same number of columns as the source .csv

example source & target folder: /test/conv

Any help would be most appreciated

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Tab delimited file to Comma delimited file in Unix

Hi, Can anyone let me know on how to convert a Tab delimited file to Comma delimited file in Unix Thanks!! (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: charan81
22 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to convert this file into comma delimited format

Hi experts, I need urget help! I have the a text file with this format: Types of fruits Name of fruits 1,1 Farm_no,1 apple,1 pineapple,1 grapes,1 orange,1 banana,1 2,2--->this is the record seperator Farm_no,2 apple,1 pineapple,1 grapes,3 orange,2 banana,1 3,3--->this is the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: natalie23
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Urgent! need help! how to convert this file into comma delimited format

Hi experts, I need urget help! I have the a text file with this format: Types of fruits Name of fruits 1,1 Farm_no,1 apple,1 pineapple,1 grapes,1 orange,1 banana,1 2,2--->this is the record seperator Farm_no,2 apple,1 pineapple,1 grapes,3 orange,2 banana,1 3,3--->this is the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: natalie23
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert a space delimited file into a pipe delimited file using shellscript?

Hi All, I have space delimited file similar to the one as shown below.. I need to convert it as a pipe delimited, the values inside the pipe delimited file should be as highlighted... AA ATIU2345098809 009697 005374 BB ATIU2345097809 005445 006518 CC ATIU9685098809 003215 003571 DD... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nithins007
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to convert comma delimited file to tab separator

Hi all, How can i convert comma delimited .csv file to tab separate using sed command or script. Thanks, Krupa (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krupasindhu18
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert a comma delimited string to records or lines of text?

Hi, I am not sure if I've posted this question before. Anyway, I previously asked about converting lines of text into a comma delimited string. Now I am needing to do the other way around ... :( :o Can anyone advise how is this possible? Example as below: Converting records/lines to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to convert a pipe delimited text file to tab delimited

Hi, I have a rquirement in unix as below . I have a text file with me seperated by | symbol and i need to generate a excel file through unix commands/script so that each value will go to each column. ex: Input Text file: 1|A|apple 2|B|bottle excel file to be generated as output as... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: raja kakitapall
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help/Advise please for converting space delimited string variable to comma delimited with quote

Hi, I am wanting to create a script that will construct a SQL statement based on a a space delimited string that it read from a config file. Example of the SQL will be For example, it will read a string like "AAA BBB CCC" and assign to a variable named IN_STRING. I then concatenate... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux convert Comma delimited file to pipe

I have file in linux with comma delimited and string fields in double quotations ", I need to convert them to pipe delimiter please share your inputs. Example: Input: "2017-09-30","ACBD,TVF","01234",NULL,18,NULL,"686091802","BANK OF ABCD, LIMITED, THE",790456 Output: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shieksir
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need help on an old post - How to convert a comma delimited string to records or lines of text?

Hi, Apologies in advance to the moderator if I am posting this the wrong way. I've searched and found the solution to an old post but as it is a very old post, I don't see an option to update it with additional question. The question I have is in relation to the following post: How to... (6 Replies)
6 Replies
refile(1)						      General Commands Manual							 refile(1)

NAME
refile - file message in other folders (only available within the message handling system, mh) SYNOPSIS
refile [msgs] [+folder] [options] OPTIONS
Refiles the draft message, or the current message in your +drafts folder, if you have one set up. You cannot give a msgs argument when you use this option. Moves a file into a folder. This option takes a file from its directory and places it in the named folder, as the next message in the folder. The file must be formatted as a legal mail message. This means that the message must have the minimum header fields separated from the body of the message by a blank line or a line of dashes. Prints a list of the valid options to this command. Keeps a copy of the message in the source folder. Normally, refile removes the messages from the original folder when it refiles them. The -link option keeps a copy in the original folder, as well as filing a copy in the new folder. Preserves the number of a message in the new folder. Normally, when a message is refiled in to another folder, it is set to the next available number in that folder. The -preserve option keeps the number of the message the same in the new folder as it had been in the old. You cannot have two messages with the same number in one folder, so you should use this option with care. Specifies the source folder to take messages from. Normally, messages are refiled from the current folder into another folder. However, you can take mes- sages from a different folder by using the -src +folder option to specify the alternative source folder. DESCRIPTION
Use the refile command to move the specified message from the current folder to another folder. You can refile messages in more than one folder by giving multiple folder names as arguments. If you do not specify a message, the current message is refiled. You can refile a message other than the current message by giving its num- ber as a msgs argument. You can also refile more than one message at a time by specifying more than one message number, or a range of mes- sage numbers, or a message sequence. See mark(1) for more information on sequences. The current folder remains the same unless the -src option is specified; in that case, the source folder becomes current. Normally, the last message specified becomes the current message. However, if the -link option is used, the current message is not changed. If the Previous-Sequence: entry is set in the file, in addition to defining the named sequences from the source folder, refile will also define those sequences for the destination folders. See mh_profile(4) for information concerning the previous sequence. PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine your Mail directory Folder-Protect: To set protections when creating a new folder rmmproc: Program to delete the message EXAMPLES
The following example refiles messages 3 and 5 in the folder +records: % refile 3 5 +records The next example files the current message into two folders: % refile +jones +map The next example takes message 13 in the current folder and refiles it in the +test folder. The mes- sage remains in the current folder as well as appearing in the +test folder. % refile -link 13 +test The next example takes a message from the folder +test when it is not the current folder, and places it in the folder +outbox: % refile 3 -src +test +outbox FILES
The user profile. SEE ALSO
folder(1), mark(1), mh_profile(4) refile(1)