Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers What is the modern vanilla UNIX? Post 302769981 by danijeljames on Thursday 14th of February 2013 05:09:45 AM
Old 02-14-2013
Question What is the modern vanilla UNIX?

Before you bark "Google" or some other reference, I have tried to get my head around this for the past 8 months.

I want to know, who makes a vanilla UNIX. Not a flavour of UNIX.

.....vanilla, plain, boring, original current UNIX.

I understand that all these different companies make versions or "flavours" of UNIX, but where is the AT&T/Bell Labs version of UNIX?

I'm not trying to develop my own version or anything, but where does the modern day version come from? The last time I asked this question, I was told that BSD UNIX or SOLARIS are the only current vanilla flavours, but I can't find BSD UNIX. I can find FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD FireflyBSD.

Can anyone give me a dumb persons answer so I can just have peace of mind please.

Thank you.

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. News, Links, Events and Announcements

Modern Operating Systems: Tanenbaum

Chapters on Linux and Unix: http://www.prenhall.com/divisions/esm/app/author_tanenbaum/custom/mos2e/ Slides, figures, code, lots of goodies on-line! CHAPTER 10 CASE STUDY 1: UNIX AND LINUX 671 10.1. HISTORY OF UNIX 672 10.1.1. UNICS 672 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neo
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vanilla Mode Development

what does this mean ? is it a whole different kind of unix syntax. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siva_jm
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Modern systems and login parameters

With Solaris newer versions where SSH is enabled by default, do we still need to configure security parameters in /etc/default/login for e.g. SLEEPTIME, CONSOLE etc? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kurumi
0 Replies
IO::Socket::UNIX(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				     IO::Socket::UNIX(3pm)

NAME
IO::Socket::UNIX - Object interface for AF_UNIX domain sockets SYNOPSIS
use IO::Socket::UNIX; DESCRIPTION
"IO::Socket::UNIX" provides an object interface to creating and using sockets in the AF_UNIX domain. It is built upon the IO::Socket interface and inherits all the methods defined by IO::Socket. CONSTRUCTOR
new ( [ARGS] ) Creates an "IO::Socket::UNIX" object, which is a reference to a newly created symbol (see the "Symbol" package). "new" optionally takes arguments, these arguments are in key-value pairs. In addition to the key-value pairs accepted by IO::Socket, "IO::Socket::UNIX" provides. Type Type of socket (eg SOCK_STREAM or SOCK_DGRAM) Local Path to local fifo Peer Path to peer fifo Listen Create a listen socket If the constructor is only passed a single argument, it is assumed to be a "Peer" specification. NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE As of VERSION 1.18 all IO::Socket objects have autoflush turned on by default. This was not the case with earlier releases. NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE METHODS
hostpath() Returns the pathname to the fifo at the local end peerpath() Returns the pathanme to the fifo at the peer end SEE ALSO
Socket, IO::Socket AUTHOR
Graham Barr. Currently maintained by the Perl Porters. Please report all bugs to <perlbug@perl.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1996-8 Graham Barr <gbarr@pobox.com>. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 IO::Socket::UNIX(3pm)