Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Print header and some lines
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Print header and some lines Post 302769978 by RudiC on Thursday 14th of February 2013 04:48:44 AM
Old 02-14-2013
Code:
$ sed -n '1p; /Network/p' file
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
                      4.0T  523G  3.5T  13% /Network/Test
$ awk 'NR==1 || /Network/' file
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
                      4.0T  523G  3.5T  13% /Network/Test

This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strip 3 header lines and 4 trailer lines

Hello friends, I want to remove 3 header lines and 4 trailer lines, I am using following , is it correct ? sed '1,3d';'4,$ d' filename (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganesh123
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

print lines except the header

awk -F ";" '{if($10>80 && NR>1) print $0 }' txt_file_* I am using this command to print the lines which has 10th field more then 80 and leaving the first line of the file which is the header. But this is not working , the first line is is coming as output , please correct me . thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: madfox
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

print lines AFTER lines cointaining a regexp (or print every first and fourth line)

Hi all, This should be very easy but I can't figure it out... I have a file that looks like this: @SRR057408.1 FW8Y5CK02R652T length=34 AGCAGTGGTATCAACGCAGAGTAAGCAGTGGTAT +SRR057408.1 FW8Y5CK02R652T length=34 FIIHFF6666?=:88@@@BBD:::?@ABBAAA>8 @SRR057408.2 FW8Y5CK02TBMHV length=52... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kmkocot
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print column header

Hi, Below is the data in a tab limited file Here ACCENT is just a heading and the line starting with Pcode has the column headers, and there is a 2 lines space between the file header and column header. I want to print $2, that is Dealer Name I used the below code nawk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kedar_laveti
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

If condition satisfies print the column header

Dear All, Good Day. I would like to solve the following issue and got some strange results, if anyone could help me in this regard, you are most welcome. Here is the problem: I have a file like Header Value1 Value2 Value3 Value4 Value5 Value6 ... Value9 12.144 6 5 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fredrick
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print the column content based on the header

i have a input of csv file as below but the sequence of column get changed. I,e it is not necessary that name comes first then age and rest all, it may vary. name,age,marks,roll,section kevin,25,80,456,A Satch,23,56,789,B Meena,24,78,H245,C So i want to print that column entires which... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: millan
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print Missing Header Name from File.

HI Guys, I have file A.txt ID,L1,L2,L3,L4 1A,2a,33a,44b,55c 2A,10a,14a,15b,16c File B.txt ID L1 L4 L5 Output:- ID,L1,L4,L5 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pareshkp
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print header and lines that meet both conditions in awk

In the awk below I am trying to print only the header lines starting with # or ## and the lines that $7 is PASS and AF= is less than 5%. The awk does execute but returns an empty file and I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Thank you. file ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find header in a text file and prepend it to all lines until another header is found

I've been struggling with this one for quite a while and cannot seem to find a solution for this find/replace scenario. Perhaps I'm getting rusty. I have a file that contains a number of metrics (exactly 3 fields per line) from a few appliances that are collected in parallel. To identify the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: verdepollo
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Print number of lines for files in directory, also print number of unique lines

I have a directory of files, I can show the number of lines in each file and order them from lowest to highest with: wc -l *|sort 15263 Image.txt 16401 reference.txt 40459 richtexteditor.txt How can I also print the number of unique lines in each file? 15263 1401 Image.txt 16401... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: spacegoose
15 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Grep searches the input files (standard input default) for lines (with newlines excluded) that match the pattern, a regular expression as defined in regexp(6). Normally, each line matching the pattern is `selected', and each selected line is copied to the standard output. The options are -c Print only a count of matching lines. -h Do not print file name tags (headers) with output lines. -i Ignore alphabetic case distinctions. The implementation folds into lower case all letters in the pattern and input before interpre- tation. Matched lines are printed in their original form. -l (ell) Print the names of files with selected lines; don't print the lines. -L Print the names of files with no selected lines; the converse of -l. -n Mark each printed line with its line number counted in its file. -s Produce no output, but return status. -v Reverse: print lines that do not match the pattern. Output lines are tagged by file name when there is more than one input file. (To force this tagging, include /dev/null as a file name argument.) Care should be taken when using the shell metacharacters $*[^|()= and newline in pattern; it is safest to enclose the entire expression in single quotes '...'. SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/grep.c SEE ALSO
ed(1), awk(1), sed(1), sam(1), regexp(6) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is null if any lines are selected, or non-null when no lines are selected or an error occurs. GREP(1)