Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UNIX shell scripting
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting UNIX shell scripting Post 302769972 by Phuti on Thursday 14th of February 2013 04:34:18 AM
Old 02-14-2013
UNIX shell scripting

Hi Guys,

I suppose I have a file with these values 1 2 3 4 5 6 and I want to count how many values do I have.

I know is I had the values in lines I will use wc -l

How can I do that ?

Thanks in advance...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting.

please give the difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: haroonec
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix shell scripting

Hi, we are writing this fields dynamically retrieved from database and writing into the file. $bmpRec = $bmpRec.'|'.$cust_id; # sp4 $bmpRec = $bmpRec.'|'.$serv_id; # sp5 $bmpRec = $bmpRec.'|'.$site_id; # sp6 $bmpRec = $bmpRec.'|'.$loc_id; # sp7 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maruthi Kunnuru
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Shell Scripting

Hi All, Greetings!! I am trying to write a script that will get me the syslog.log file output of last week... That is ...my cron will run on Monday and will get me the syslog output of previous week , last monday-last sunday. I tried using date formatting and tail..but did not succeed.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: premamadhuri
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need your Help on Unix Shell Scripting.........

Hi Friends, 1. Bash Shell Scrpt to take backup at evening 2. I need a bash shell script for killing all processes. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinayraj
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Shell Scripting

I 'm new to unix shell scripting can some one guide me to any e-book or link from where i can learn unix shell scripting .. i want to learn create interactive scripts for my day to day solaris work. Any help would be appreciated (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fugitive
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Shell Scripting( Calling from Unix to PLSQL)

Hello Experts, I have the following questions to be discussed here at this esteemed discussion forum. I have two Excel sheets which contain Unix Commands llike creating directory the structure/ftp/Copy/Zip etc to basically create an environment. I need help in understanding some of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: faizsaadq
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Shell Scripting

I'm sorry if this doesn't go here, but I'm in depserate need of help with my last unix homework. Anyways, I'm taking summer classes, and one of them is UNIX. I've understood everything thus far, but I'm having a killer time with how my instructor has worded the problems for shell scripting. I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dw15
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX shell scripting

I am new to Unix.. Can someone please help me to understand the concept of Login shell and non login shell ? what exactly the difference between them :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lokita jain
1 Replies

9. Programming

unix Shell scripting

Hi All, need help to complete the automation but stuck at a perticular situation below is the code <code> fixed_function_name { code.... code.... variable_map= { a="/a" b="/b" c="/c" so on... } (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: yadavricky
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX Shell Scripting

Describe in short the word completion feature of the tcsh Completion works anywhere in the command line, not at just the end, for both commands and filenames. Type part of a word and hit the Tab key, and the shell replaces the incomplete word with the complete one in the input buffer. The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Elena Lauren
1 Replies
alias(1)						      General Commands Manual							  alias(1)

NAME
alias - Defines or displays aliases SYNOPSIS
alias [-tx] [alias-name[=string...]] Note The C shell has a built-in version of the alias command. If you are using the C shell, and want to guarantee that you are using the com- mand described here, you must specify the full path /usr/bin/alias. See the csh(1) reference page for a description of the built-in com- mand. STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: alias: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
[Tru64 UNIX] Sets or lists tracked aliases. [Tru64 UNIX] Sets or lists exported aliases. Note See the ksh(1) reference page for a description of tracked and exported aliases. OPERANDS
Prints the alias definition on standard output. Assigns the value of string to the alias alias-name. If no options and no operands are specified, all alias definitions are printed on standard output. DESCRIPTION
The alias utility creates or redefines alias definitions or writes the values of existing alias definitions to standard output. An alias definition provides a string value that replaces a command name when it is encountered. An alias definition affects the current shell execution environment and the execution environments of the subshells of the current shell. When used as described, the alias definition will not affect the parent process of the current shell nor any utility environment invoked by the shell. NOTES
[Tru64 UNIX] This reference page describes the creation and maintenance of aliases. See the Command Aliasing section of the ksh(1) or sh(1p) reference pages for the description of alias substitution. RESTRICTIONS
[Tru64 UNIX] If you use either the -t option or the -x option, you must use at least one alias-name or alias-name=string operand. [Tru64 UNIX] Aliasing is performed when scripts are read, not while they are executed. Therefore, for an alias to take effect, the alias definition command has to be executed before the command that references the alias is read. [Tru64 UNIX] Aliases can be used to redefine special built-in commands but cannot be used to redefine the reserved words listed in the ksh(1) reference page. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: Successful completion. One of the name operands specified did not have an alias definition, or an error occurred. EXAMPLES
Change ls to give annotated output in columns: alias ls="ls -CF" Create a simple redo command to repeat previous entries in the command history file: alias r='fc -s' Cause du to use 1K units instead of the default 512-bytes: alias du=du -k Set up nohup so that it can deal with an argument that is itself an alias name: alias nohup="nohup " ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of alias: Provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the internationalization vari- ables contain an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non-empty string value, override the values of all the other internationalization variables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multibyte characters in arguments). Determines the locale for the format and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of LC_MES- SAGES. SEE ALSO
Commands: csh(1), ksh(1), Bourne shell sh(1b), POSIX shell sh(1p), unalias(1) Standards: standards(5) alias(1)