Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to run script automatically on reboot as root user? Post 302769963 by Akshay Hegde on Thursday 14th of February 2013 04:03:37 AM
Old 02-14-2013
How to run script automatically on reboot as root user?

Hi friends,,,

I am running one server on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 32-bit, some times my pc restarts automatically, with no reason, I have a script to start server which requires root password. in this directory

Code:
/myserver/start_server.sh

How can I do this ?

and some scripts I am having that I need to run daily once around 10.00 Am, for these scripts I need to change ownership from root to user in
Code:
 /dev/bull

while running script

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run non-root script as root with non-root environment

All, I want to run a non-root script as the root user with non-root environment variables with crontab. The non-root user would have environment variables for database access such as Oracle or Sybase. The root user does not have the Oracle or Sybase enviroment variables. I thought you could do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bubba112557
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

run a script on logout by a non-root user

hi , i need to run a script that delete files when i logout as a user other than root user . I have tried out using .bash_logout but that doesnt seem to work , so any alternative for this to be done. Thanks in advance, Harsha (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: harsha10
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How a normal user run a script including root privileaged commands

Dear all Ihave written a script in Hpux9.0, the ecript is working fine if I run it from root command prompt But when I am running it thru /etc/profile or /user/.profile and login as a normal user, the owner of the process running the script is the normal user & hence cant run a root privileaged... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: initin
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to allow access to some commands having root privleges to be run bu non root user

hi i am new to unix and i have abig task. i have to \run particular commands having root privileges from a non root user. i know sudo is one of the way but i need sum other approach kindly help Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryashikha
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to automatically reboot to newly compiled kernel with fallback

Hi, I'm new here. Just started playing around with kernel compilation. I need a little bit of advice. I'm trying to do a bash script to automatically compile a kernel package and reboot to that new kernel by default, with fallback to the old kernel. So far, I'm getting stuck at the part... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tridus_08
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get current logged in user from a script run as root.

Ok, so, in order to install some dependencies of a program I made, a script has to be run as root. The thing is that I have to copy some things into the home folder of currently logged in user, but the variable $HOME returns '/root' and the $USER returns 'root' :( Is there any way to see who is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can root user run chmod 000 permission shell script?

Hi, I have a shell script file which is set to access permission 000. When I login as root (sudo su) and try to run this script, I am getting the Permission denied error. I have read somewhere that root admin user can execute any kind of permission script. Then why this behavior? However, I can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to run a bash script that logs on as a non-root user and runs script as root

So I have a script that runs as a non-root user, lets say the username is 'xymon' . This script needs to log on to a remote system as a non-root user also and call up a bash script that runs another bash script as root. in short: user xymon on system A needs to run a file as root user and have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: damang111
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to run commands as root user

Hello I have a script which is working fine so far to generate HTML file. Now i am wondering how do i include a syntax where it can change itself to root user and execute a specific commands as root user. Please help, Thanks in advance. -Siddhesh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddheshk
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run a script before and after reboot automatically and send output to two locations.

Hello Team . I am working a health check script ( bash) to run on linux server ( RedHat) and requirements are 1. The o/p of script need to be send to two diff files . I am testing with tee command . But I am not successful yet , any recommendations if that is the right approach ? 2. The same... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Varja
2 Replies
IRSEND(1)							   User Commands							 IRSEND(1)

NAME
irsend - basic LIRC program to send infra-red commands SYNOPSIS
irsend [options] DIRECTIVE REMOTE CODE [CODE...] DESCRIPTION
Asks the lircd daemon to send one or more CIR (Consumer Infra-Red) commands. This is intended for remote control of electronic devices such as TV boxes, HiFi sets, etc. DIRECTIVE can be: SEND_ONCE - send CODE [CODE ...] once SEND_START - start repeating CODE SEND_STOP - stop repeating CODE LIST - list configured remote items SET_TRANSMITTERS - set transmitters NUM [NUM ...] SIMULATE - simulate IR event REMOTE is the name of a remote, as described in the lircd configuration file. CODE is the name of a remote control key of REMOTE, as it appears in the lircd configuration file. NUM is the transmitter number of the hardware device. For the LIST DIRECTIVE, REMOTE and/or CODE can be empty: LIST "" "" - list all configured remote names LIST REMOTE "" - list all codes of REMOTE LIST REMOTE CODE - list only CODE of REMOTE The SIMULATE command only works if it has been explicitly enabled in lircd. -h --help display usage summary -v --version display version -d --device use given lircd socket [/var/run/lirc/lircd] -a --address=host[:port] connect to lircd at this address -# --count=n send command n times EXAMPLES
irsend LIST DenonTuner "" irsend SEND_ONCE DenonTuner PROG-SCAN irsend SEND_ONCE OnkyoAmpli VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP irsend SEND_START OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN ; sleep 3 irsend SEND_STOP OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 3 4 irsend SIMULATE "0000000000000476 00 OK TECHNISAT_ST3004S" FILES
/etc/lirc/lircd.conf Default lircd configuration file. It should contain all the remotes, their infra-red codes and the corresponding timing and wave- form details. DIAGNOSTICS
If lircd is not running (or /var/run/lirc/lircd lacks write permissions) irsend aborts with the following diagnostics: "irsend: could not connect to socket" "irsend: Connection refused" (or "Permission denied"). SEE ALSO
The documentation for lirc is maintained as html pages. They are located under html/ in the documentation directory. lircd(8), mode2(1), smode2(1), xmode2(1), irrecord(1), irw(1), http://www.lirc.org. irsend 0.9.0-pre1 October 2010 IRSEND(1)