Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Why am i getting these strange packets while running my packet capture module written in c.? Post 302769520 by DGPickett on Tuesday 12th of February 2013 02:04:22 PM
Old 02-12-2013
Oh, right. Protocol 0 is ipv6 except that is laid out differently, I expect: List of IP protocol numbers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Junk packets? Chase the source down!

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to capture multicast packets using snoop

How do I use snoop command to capture multicast packets in the network? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: caden312
1 Replies

2. AIX

Capture Network Packets from AIX

Hi, I am using smitty to create and configure a print queue. I am giving a print of a text file to the print queue created. I am using this in network. How to capture network packets of the print from AIX to the printer and printer to AIX. I tried Wireshark to capture network packets. I am... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: meeraramanathan
16 Replies

3. Infrastructure Monitoring

capture snmp packets in AIX

Hi, I want to capture snmp packets in AIX. When i give print from AIX6.1, Printer will give its response thru' snmp. I used iptrace command like below, but it is not capturing snmp packets other packets are captured like udp, tcp.. 1. iptrace command: /usr/sbin/iptrace -a -i en0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: meeraramanathan
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

Capture packets (TcpDump) and forwarding them

Hi, I want to capture a certain type of packets (selected according to the protocol) coming to my PC and then transmit them to another PC. I had the idea to use tcpdump to filter input packets and extract those chosen. Well my questions are: 1- after filtering input packets, those that have not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ziedf
1 Replies

5. Programming

Receiving broadcast packets using packet socket

Hello I try to send DHCP RENEW packets to the network and receive the responses. I broadcast the packet and I can see that it's successfully sent using Wireshark. But I have difficulties receiving the responses.I use packet sockets to catch the packets. I can see that there are responses to my... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyzt
0 Replies

6. Programming

packet capture

can anyone tell me how can i capture the packets. i have tried ethernet software to capture them but its not doing what i want it to do it (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dazdseg
1 Replies

7. Programming

Linking Linux Driver written in C with ASM module

Hi, I have got sample linux driver written in C. I got also some assembly code, compiled into .o file (using as compiler). In my Makefile I got: obj-m += someDriver.o someDriver-objs := CFile1.o CFile2.o ASMFile.o default: $(MAKE) -C $(KDIR) SUBDIRS=$(PWD) modulesUnfortunatelly I cannot... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chrisdot
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How many packets can be written into Kernel sockets per second?

Hi, Its been a long time since i programmed a multithreaded application that can do Tx and Rx of datagrams over unix sockets. I well remember that though the threads were efficiently designed to be independent of each other, and was writing to different sockets, there was a limitation ,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: binnyjeshan
0 Replies
pcapdump(1)															       pcapdump(1)

NAME
pcapdump - dedicated packet capture utility SYNOPSIS
pcapdump [OPTIONS]... DESCRIPTION
pcapdump captures packets from a network interface and writes them to a dumpfile. The filename argument given to -w will be formated by strftime(3). PCAPNET OPTIONS
-i interface Input interface to read packets from. -r pcap file Dump file to read packets from. -w pcap file Dump file to write filtered packets to. -f expression BPF expression which selects packets to be filtered. -s snaplen Capture snaplen bytes of data from each packet. -p Disable promiscuous mode sniffing. PROGRAM OPTIONS
-u owner Set the output file's owning user to owner. -g group Set the output file's owning group to group. -m mode Set the output file's mode to mode, specified in octal. -t secs Dump file rotation interval in seconds. -c count Exit after capturing count packets. -T secs Exit after capturing during this amount of seconds. -H Only capture link, network, and transport headers; do not capture application-layer data. -S sample value Sample the packet stream by only dumping 1 in every sample value packets. -R Together with -S, sample the packets randomly, not systematically. -P pidfile Daemonize the process and write its PID to pidfile. -C config file File to read configuration variables from. Instead of passing configuration through the command line, a file can be used to specify values for the bpf, device, filefmt, group, interval, mode, owner, promisc, and snaplen options (not all need to be specified; de- faults will be used otherwise). See /usr/share/doc/pcaputils/examples/pcapdump/eth0 for an example. 9 May 2009 pcapdump(1)