Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Rename scripts using xargs/sed Post 302769437 by alister on Tuesday 12th of February 2013 08:45:22 AM
Old 02-12-2013
You can just read the filenames from your file using a while-read loop. Within that loop, use cp. To generate the destination filename, you can use sed or the shell's parameter expansion operators to strip leading directories, modify the filename (e.g. ${var//pattern/replacement}), and prepend the new directory.

Alternatively, you can use pax in copy mode, -rw, with the -s option to modify the filenames as they're copied to the destination.

Regards,
Alister

Last edited by alister; 02-12-2013 at 09:51 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to alister For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed (or similar) to rename variable headings

Hello, I'm rather new to the world of regular expressions and sed, though am excited by its possibilities. I have a particular task I'd like to achieve, and have googled the topic quite a bit. However, having found some codes that perform a task very similar to what I'd like to do, I can't for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: redseventyseven
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple rename part of scripts

i have about 30 scripts for example: test, test1,test2, test3, test4,..... inside every scripte is code like this: echo "input check OK" how to rename this line in multiple scripts in this: echo "input error!" (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: waso
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename file using sed command

Greetings, I am very new to the UNIX shell scripting and would like to learn. However, I am currently stuck on how to process the below sample : Filename : DOCabcdef24387987ab90d.xml Pattern "DOC"+any character using and +".xml" And i want to change the second part of that file (any... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: fanny_tirtasari
20 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sed or Awk usage to rename string

I have gotten myself totally lost trying to sort this out and just need some help please.. I will have a multiple directories using the following naming convention with an undetermined number of files in each directory. 9780743582094_05of5_Accountable.wav I need to batch rename all files... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

try to batch rename using sed (if this is best)

hi gooday I need some help with a rename I am attempting. I'd like to rename a bunch of files in a folder example list.dat.old to list_N.dat query.dat.old to query_N.dat note the two periods in (.dat.old) to become _N.dat I tried using sed like this ls *.dat.old | sed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnstrong
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to rename files in a folder - please help with script

Hello, I am new to shell scripting and stuck on renaming files in a folder. The files have the format chp01_00001.wav chp01_00002.wav .... chp02_00001.wav chp02_00002.wav .... but I want them to have the following names: chp_bloomy_00001.wav chp_bloomy_00002.wav chp_bloomy_00003.wav... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bloomy
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename file using sed or awk

I have a filename like 1_DATE_3_4.5_888 and I want to modify the date field (ie the last 4 digits ) alone and remove the last field. Old filename:1_DATE_3_4.5_888 Given date (for eg):120606259532 modified date:120606259899 new filename:1_<modified date>_3.4.5 (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandy88
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed file rename

Ubuntu -very new to shell scripts/Linux I have many pictures with "FAMILY", "family" mixed in the file name and not all in the same directory; I want to remove "family" case insensitive from the filenames; find /media/Rock/pics/pics_bak/ -type f "*family*" | sed 's#family##gI' # works for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jennyjones
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed replace to rename each line a file

Have a file in this format This is line one ; line_one This is line two ; line_two This is line three ; line_three This is line four ; line four. I'm trying to make each line a new file called line_one line_two line_three line_four. Tried using split -1 but then I'm back needing to rename... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyf
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to rename files in bash loop

I am trying to use sed to rename all .txt files in /home/cmccabe/test. However, I am getting an error that I seems to be putting the files in a new directory s, instead of in the original. Thank you :). bash # rename classified cd /home/cmccabe/test pattern2_old="_classify"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies
SPLIT(1)						      General Commands Manual							  SPLIT(1)

NAME
split - split a file into pieces SYNOPSIS
split [ option ... ] [ file ] DESCRIPTION
Split reads file (standard input by default) and writes it in pieces of 1000 lines per output file. The names of the output files are xaa, xab, and so on to xzz. The options are -n Split into n-line pieces. -e expression File divisions occur at each line that matches a regular expression; see regexp(6). Multiple -e options may appear. If a subex- pression of expression is contained in parentheses (...), the output file name is the portion of the line which matches the subex- pression. -f stem Use stem instead of x in output file names. -s suffix Append suffix to names identified under -e. -x Exclude the matched input line from the output file. -i Ignore case in option -e; force output file names (excluding the suffix) to lower case. SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/split.c SEE ALSO
sed(1), awk(1) grep(1), regexp(6) SPLIT(1)