Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Concatenating strings to "tr" command output Post 302769405 by chpsam on Tuesday 12th of February 2013 06:35:34 AM
Old 02-12-2013
Concatenating strings to "tr" command output

Hi All,

Please help me in forming command for the following scenario.

My input string (msg)is \'01\',\'02\',\'03\',\'04\',\'05\',\'06\' , i have removed \ and ' using
Code:
echo $msg|tr -d '\\'|tr -d "'"

which gave me output as

I am half done here. Now i want to append single quotes at the beginning and ending of this out , with in the same command. I tried below command
Code:
echo $msg|tr -d '\\'|tr -d "'"|print "'"$msg"'"

But i am getting output as ''01','02','03','04','05','06''.

Please help me to get the output in below format
'01,02,03,04,05,06'.

Thanks in advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

get two strings ending with "." and starting with "."

Hi all, In unix shell, I want to get two strings ending with "." and starting with "." from a string "chan.txt" For example, a string "chan.txt". The first string is "chan" The second string is "txt" Yours Wilson (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wilsonchan1000
1 Replies

2. Debian

Debian: doubt in "top" %CPU and "sar" output

Hi All, I am running my application on a dual cpu debian linux 3.0 (2.4.19 kernel). For my application: <sar -U ALL> CPU %user %nice %system %idle ... 10:58:04 0 153.10 0.00 38.76 0.00 10:58:04 1 3.88 0.00 4.26 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaduks
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explanation of "total" field in "ls -l" command output

When I do a listing in one particular directory (ls -al) I get: total 43456 drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 drwxrwxrwx 3 root root 4096 -rwxrwxr-x 1 nobody nobody 3701594 -rwxrwxr-x 1 nobody nobody 3108510 -rwxrwxr-x 1 nobody nobody 3070580 -rwxrwxr-x 1 nobody nobody 3099733 -rwxrwxr-x 1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

"Join" or "Merge" more than 2 files into single output based on common key (column)

Hi All, I have working (Perl) code to combine 2 input files into a single output file using the join function that works to a point, but has the following limitations: 1. I am restrained to 2 input files only. 2. Only the "matched" fields are written out to the "matched" output file and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Katabatic
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing output of "time" command to a variable

Hi all, I am new to Linux/shell scripting having moderate knowledge. In my script, I need to get execution time of a command (say 'ls') in mili seconds level. For this i tried using "time" command to retrieve the total execution time in milli seconds. But, the problem is that, how to save... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: happening_linux
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieve RAM memory size from "top" command output

Hi, I am trying to get the system RAM size from "top" command's output by the following but it is not working. top | sed "s/^Mem.**\(*\), *//" (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding the strings beween 2 characters "/" & "/" in .txt file

Hi all. I have a .txt file that I need to sort it My file is like: 1- 88 chain0 MASTER (FF-TE) FFFF 1962510 /TCK T FD2TQHVTT1 /jtagc/jtag_instreg/updateinstr_reg_1 dff1 (TI,SO) 2- ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Behrouzx77
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

10. Programming

Redirecting output to new file for command "perldoc perllocal"

Hi, I have to redirect output of the command "perldoc perllocal" to new file which contains all the perl module installed. Currently using perldoc perllocal >> mod_data This does not contain all perl modules installed locally on machine, and each character is doubled. Please... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asak
3 Replies
strextract(1)						      General Commands Manual						     strextract(1)

NAME
strextract - batch string extraction SYNOPSIS
strextract [-p patternfile] [-i ignorefile] [-d] [source-program...] OPTIONS
Ignore text strings specified in ignorefile. By default, the strextract command searches for ignorefile in the current working directory, your home directory, and /usr/lib/nls. If you omit the -i option, strextract recognizes all strings specified in the patterns file. Use patternfile to match strings in the input source program. By default, the command searches for the pattern file in the current working directory, your home direc- tory, and finally /usr/lib/nls. If you omit the -p option, the strextract command uses a default patterns file that is stored in /usr/lib/nls/patterns. Disables warnings of duplicate strings. If you omit the -d option, strextract prints warnings of duplicate strings in your source program. DESCRIPTION
The strextract command extracts text strings from source programs. This command also writes the string it extracts to a message text file. The message text file contains the text for each message extracted from your input source program. The strextract command names the file by appending to the name of the input source program. In the source-program argument, you name one or more source programs from which you want messages extracted. The strextract command does not extract messages from source programs included using the #include directive. Therefore, you might want a source program and all the source programs it includes on a single strextract command line. You can create a patterns file (as specified by patternfile ) to control how the strextract command extracts text. The patterns file is divided into several sections, each of which is identified by a keyword. The keyword must start at the beginning of a new line, and its first character must be a dollar sign ($). Following the identifier, you specify a number of patterns. Each pattern begins on a new line and follows the regular expression syntax you use in the regexp(3) routine. For more information on the patterns file, see the patterns(4) reference page. In addition to the patterns file, you can create a file that indicates strings that extract ignores. Each line in this ignore file con- tains a single string to be ignored that follows the syntax of the regexp(3) routine. When you invoke the strextract command, it reads the patterns file and the file that contains strings it ignores. You can specify a pat- terns file and an ignore file on the strextract command line. Otherwise, the strextract command matches all strings and uses the default patterns file. If strextract finds strings which match the ERROR directive in the pattern file, it reports the strings to standard error (stderr.) but does not write the string to the message file. After running strextract, you can edit the message text file to remove text strings which do not need translating before running strmerge. It is recommended that you use extract command as a visual front end to the strextract command rather than running strextract directly. RESTRICTIONS
Given the default pattern file, you cannot cause strextract to ignore strings in comments that are longer than one line. You can specify only one rewrite string for all classes of pattern matches. The strextract command does not extract strings from files include with #include directive. You must run the strextract commands on these files separately. % strextract -p c_patterns prog.c prog2.c % vi prog.str % strmerge -p c_patterns prog.c prog2.c % gencat prog.cat prog.msg prog2.msg % vi nl_prog.c % vi nl_prog2.c % cc nl_prog.c nl_prog2.c In this example, the strextract command uses the c_patterns file to determine which strings to match. The input source programs are named prog.c and prog2.c. If you need to remove any of the messages or extract one of the created strings, edit the resulting message file, prog.str. Under no condi- tions should you add to this file. Doing so could result in unpredictable behavior. You issue the strmerge command to replace the extracted strings with calls to the message catalog. In response to this command, strmerge, creates the source message catalogs, prog.msg and prog2.msg, and the output source programs, nl_prog.c and nl_prog2.c. You must edit nl_prog.c and nl_prog2.c to include the appropriate catopen and catclose function calls. The gencat command creates a message catalog and the cc command creates an executable program. SEE ALSO
gencat(1), extract(1), strmerge(1), regexp(3), catopen(3), patterns(4) Writing Software for the International Market strextract(1)