Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Check if a variable is having value Post 302769390 by anil510 on Tuesday 12th of February 2013 05:42:49 AM
Old 02-12-2013
Check if a variable is having value

I have a script /root/asas with following contents.

Code:
#!/bin/bash

ha=`cat /etc/passwd | grep sandra`

if [ -n $ha ]; then
        echo "Sandra is in /etc/passwd"
        echo "variable ha is $ha"
else
        echo "Sandra is NOT in /etc/passwd"
        echo "variable ha is $ha"

fi

What I need is when "cat" does not find sandra in /etc/passwd, it should print "Sandra is NOT in /etc/passwd". But this is not giving correct result. See below.
Code:
[root@server ]# grep sandra /etc/passwd
#sandra

[root@server ]# sh /root/asas
Sandra is in /etc/passwd
variable ha is #sandra

[root@server ]# grep sandra /etc/passwd  --> sandra removed from /etc/passwd

[root@server ]# sh /root/asas
Sandra is in /etc/passwd  --> supposed to be "Sandra is NOT in /etc/passwd"
variable ha is

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check if variable is a number

If I have a variable $X, how do I check it is a number? Many thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: handak9
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

check for NULL variable

Hello I want to check for NULL variable.. but this is not working..please help thanks in advance esham (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: esham
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check parameter variable?

Hello All, I have a script that will email out if the email address is specified as parameter 1. I am using ksh, and then tried the following : email=$1 Following did not work, I am getting error test -z $email test ${email:=" ") -eq " " test -n $email test ${?email} What... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: negixx
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check if a variable contains a .

Hi I am writing a bash script and would like to check is a variable contains a . or not ex. a=102 output ok a=1.02 output not ok Many thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gekkos
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

check if a variable is not affected

Hi all, to check that a variable is not empty, I usually do: if ; then... or if ; then... what if I have a serie of variables and want to do the same test on all of them. How to do this in a single if statement? thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check the value of a string variable

hi to all, i want to check the value of a variable that it contains characters. for example i try the following: if then ......... i just want to check that in the specific line that is a variable called "passline" has the entry "password". But it can contain also other characters in the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if a variable is zero

I have seen many posts for this sort of problem but I just did not know how to use it for my issue. A number is assigned to a variable and I wanted to check if it is a zero or non zero. Example of my numbers are below: 000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: soujiv
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check the value of a variable

#!/bin/sh echo "Running Script to capture ORACLE Erros" # Change Directory to the actual logs path cd /home/nv8510/lognew err_var=`grep -in "ORA-" *` if then echo "THESE ARE THE ORACLE ERROR OCCURED" echo "$err_var" echo... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: neeraj617
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check whether a variable is empty or contains some value?

hi, i want to check whether a a variable contains some value or is empty in a shell script. so if the variable contains some value i want to do some job and if the variable doesnt contain any value then i need to skip that job. here is a sample script read_filenames.sh contains ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check variable

Hi people, I would like to start a review of my config variable to check whether they have been changed and if not then there is only an echo. If they have been changed to my other commands are executed. I hope you can help me. with best regards JPad edit: here my code if ;... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: JPad
8 Replies
BZEXE(1)						      General Commands Manual							  BZEXE(1)

NAME
bzexe - compress executable files in place SYNOPSIS
bzexe [ name ... ] DESCRIPTION
The bzexe utility allows you to compress executables in place and have them automatically uncompress and execute when you run them (at a penalty in performance). For example if you execute ``bzexe /bin/cat'' it will create the following two files: -r-xr-xr-x 1 root bin 9644 Feb 11 11:16 /bin/cat -r-xr-xr-x 1 bin bin 24576 Nov 23 13:21 /bin/cat~ /bin/cat~ is the original file and /bin/cat is the self-uncompressing executable file. You can remove /bin/cat~ once you are sure that /bin/cat works properly. This utility is most useful on systems with very small disks. OPTIONS
-d Decompress the given executables instead of compressing them. SEE ALSO
bzip2(1), znew(1), zmore(1), zcmp(1), zforce(1) CAVEATS
The compressed executable is a shell script. This may create some security holes. In particular, the compressed executable relies on the PATH environment variable to find gzip and some other utilities (tail, chmod, ln, sleep). BUGS
bzexe attempts to retain the original file attributes on the compressed executable, but you may have to fix them manually in some cases, using chmod or chown. BZEXE(1)