Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Need help finding missing drivers Post 302769125 by MichaelFelt on Monday 11th of February 2013 09:22:33 AM
Old 02-11-2013
Just to be sure I understand.

1. Was running AIX 5.3 on Power7 hardware and the drivers were available.
  2. After migration upgrade to AIX 6.1 TL6 the drivers "disappeared".
I suspect (read am guessing) you migrated using a AIX 6.1 DVD that predates Power7. I am guessing this because "probably" all support for these devices came with Power7 (correct me if I am wrong here - Model and Type will help as well).

Without a driver I am not sure what lscfg -v will be able to say but the output from that command for these devices might give some clues, at least for a google search.

The more common problem is that this concerns OLD adapters that no longer are supported by AIX 6.1 (as an example I ran into this way back when when updating from AIX 4.1 to AIX 4.2 (or to 4.3) when AIX dropped support for the 2G tape drives. AIX could see them, and reported that it did not have a driver (as your error message does) - but there was not a driver available.
And I have seen it also with old generation graphic adapters.

Assuming there are drivers - if you can install a DVD
Code:
cfgmgr -i /dev/cd0

otherwise nfs mount an lpp_source, or download a complete TL6 with latest SP to /some/directory and then run
Code:
cfgmgr -i /some/directory

If the drivers are there, cfgmgr will find and install them. Note: one of the characteristics of a complete TL plus SP download is that it contains ALL drivers!
If you go to fixcentral and download be sure to say the level of the install DVD as base (not your current level) to get "installable" (i.e. so called .I filesets) rather than "update" (.U).
FYI: yet another way is to use SUMA (smit suma). I prefer this whenever possible, but not everyone can direct attach (to internet) an AIX system - i.e., firewall rules prohibit it.

In short, if there are drivers - get them into /some/directory, then
Code:
cfgmgr -i /some/directory

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

drivers unix 5.01 is compatible with drivers epson fx-2190

Please, I'm From Argentina, And I Need To Know If The Drivers Of Program Unix, Version 5.01 Is Compatible Whit Drivers Of The Printer Epson Fx-2190 Thanks, And I Hope Yuor Answer. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: juan alberghina
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Finding which file is missing

I was hoping someone ould help me with the following. I have 2 files in a directory FILEA and FILEB. i am running a process on these 2 files but before the process can run both FILEA and FILEB need to be present. If one or both the files are missing i need to know what file(s) is(are)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: SAMZ
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding missing sequential file names

So, I've got a ton of files that I want to go through (ie something like 300,000), and they're all labeled sequentially. However I'm not 100% positive that they are all there. Is there any way of running through a sequence of numbers, checking if the file is in the folder, if not appending it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Julolidine
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding missing files that are named sequentially with Perl?

Hello I am new to Perl, in fact I am on chapter one of the book. :) However I am in need of a Perl Script faster than I can finish the book. Perhaps someone can help me with my immediate need while I read my book. I have a directory with hundreds of files that are all named like... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newftronics
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding missing items in file

I have a need to compare 2 files, then print results to file. Need to find items from file2 that are not found in file 1. thanks in advance! example: file 1: abcde=12 fffff=6 bbbb=35 file2: abcde=12 fffff=6 bbbb=35 ccccc=10 kkkkk=45 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: discostu
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding missing tags

I have a list containing strings. All strings should have either "smp" or "drw" else it is considered an error. I have written this code below. Any better ideas to tackle this? set fdrw = 0 set fsmp = 0 foreach f ($Lst) set fdrwtag = `echo $f | awk '/drw/'` set fsmptag = `echo $f | awk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies

7. SuSE

How to resolve missing missing dependencies with opensuse 11.3 and 12.3?

Hello, This is a programming question as well as a suse question, so let me know if you think I should post this in programming. I have an application that I compiled under opensuse 12.2 using g77-3.3/g++3.3. The program compiles and runs just fine. I gave the application to a colleague who... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

Yum - resolving missing dependencies that are not missing

I am trying to install VirtualBox on RHEL 5 but I need the 32 bit version for 32 bit Windows. When I run yum I get the following: sudo yum localinstall /auto/spvtg-it/spvss-migration/Software/VirtualBox-4.3-4.3.2_90405_el6-1.i686.rpm Loaded plugins: fastestmirror Setting up Local Package... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: gw1500se
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding missing records and Dups

I have a fixed width file. The records looks something similar to below: Type ID SSN NAME .....AND SOME MORE FIELDS A1 1234 ..... A1 1234 ..... B1 1234 ..... M2 4567 ..... M2 4567 ..... N2 4567 ..... N2 4567 ..... A1 9999 N2 9999 Now if A1 is present then B1 has to be present.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saanvi1
2 Replies
cfgmgr_set_status(9r)													     cfgmgr_set_status(9r)

NAME
cfgmgr_set_status - General: Reports failure to the cfgmgr framework SYNOPSIS
int cfgmgr_set_status( char *driver_name ); ARGUMENTS
Specifies the name of the device driver for which you want to report an associated failure. This name is a string that matches the string you specified for the entry_name item in the /etc/sysconfigtab database. Typically, third-party driver writers specify the driver name (followed by a colon) in the sysconfigtab file fragment, which gets appended to the /etc/sysconfigtab database during the driver product installation. DESCRIPTION
The cfgmgr_set_status routine reports to the cfgmgr framework that a failure has occurred during static configuration. If the specified device driver is in the static configuration state, it does not know that the configuration operation is complete until all register call- back requests (routines) have successfully completed. Therefore, a device driver calls cfgmgr_set_status to report a possible failure dur- ing static configuration to the cfgmgr framework. Specifically, cfgmgr_set_status performs the following failure operations: Adjusts the state of the specified device driver Unconfigures the specified device driver from the cfgmgr framework The cfgmgr_set_status routine calls the device driver's configure routine at its CFG_OP_UNCONFIGURE entry point as part of these failure operations. The code associated with the CFG_OP_UNCONFIGURE entry point is responsible for determining how to deallocate any allocated resources during these failure operations. The cfgmgr_set_status routine does not notify the operator of a configuration failure. Part of the code associated with the CFG_OP_UNCON- FIGURE entry point could include an error logging operation to record the fact that a failure has occurred. The reason for doing this is that the cfgmgr framework's task is to accomplish the unconfigure operation of a statically configured device driver. You call the cfgmgr_set_status routine in the device driver's callback routine when the static configuration operation fails. You register a callback routine by calling the register_callback routine. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, cfgmgr_set_status returns the value ESUCCESS. This success value indicates that cfgmgr_set_status adjusted the state of the device driver and caused the cfgmgr framework to unconfigure the driver. Otherwise, cfgmgr_set_status returns one of the fol- lowing error constants defined in /usr/sys/include/sys/sysconfig.h and /usr/sys/include/sys/errno.h: The device driver that you specified in the driver_name argument does not exist. In this case, cfgmgr_set_status cannot adjust the state and unconfigure the device driver. The device driver that you specified in the driver_name argument was not statically configured. The device driver that you specified in the driver_name argument is not in the static configuration state. EXAMPLES
See Writing Device Drivers: Tutorial for a code example of the cfgmgr_set_status interface. SEE ALSO
Routines: cfgmgr_get_state(9r), register_callback(9r) cfgmgr_set_status(9r)