Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Indirect variables in Bash
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Indirect variables in Bash Post 302769112 by Scrutinizer on Monday 11th of February 2013 08:32:40 AM
Old 02-11-2013
Because if $path is obtained from user input or an input file, or otherwise not under your control someone could execute code with the permissions of the person executing the script.

If you are using bash 4 or you could switch to ksh93 then an alternative might be associative arrays:

Code:
leg=([AB]=50 [CD]=40)
echo "${leg[AB]}"

This User Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Compound indirect variable references

Using bash, I'm trying to read a .properties file (name=value pairs), assigning an indirect variable reference for each line in the file. The trick is that a property's value string may contain the name of a property that occurred earlier in the file, and I want the name of the 1st property to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tkrussel
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Length of an indirect variable

The construct ${#parameter} returns the number of characters in the parameter and ${!parameter} specifies an indirect variable. My question is: How do I combine these two. What I want is ${#!parameter} but this gives an error. Of course I can use: dummy=${!parameter} ${#dummy} but that's a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gone_bush
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash variables

Ummm can anybody help me with this one? Its prob quite simple. I bascially have a file name say J1x2x3x7.dat Im using the file name as a variable in a bash script. Want I want to do is extract most of the file name and make it a new variable expect with say one of the number now a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RichieFondel
2 Replies

4. Linux

How to get an Indirect Variable Value..?

Hi, I've got a small problem. If varible A stores "B" and Variable B stores C, How to get the value of variable B by using only Variable A..? I tried the following but didnt work pease help.. $ var1=vikram $ echo $var1 vikram $ vikram=sampath $ echo $vikram sampath $ echo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickramshetty
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Indirect variable assignment

Hi I have variable A_B=alpha also var1="A" var2="B" I want to retrieve the value alpha using var1 and var2 , somthing like echo ${${var1}_${var2}} that works. Obviously this is receiving syntax error (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumir
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Does SH support indirect expansion like BASH?

Hello, is there a kind soul who can answer me, does the SH support double substitution known as indirect expansion similar to BASH? The syntax for bash is ${!var}. For instance in bash I can write something like this: VAR="value" REF_VAR="VAR" echo ${!REF_VAR} and get the "value"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dimentiy
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Indirect Referral Script

I have a file with two columns of numbers (member IDs): 1 1 2 1 3 1 4 2 5 4 6 1 7 5 8 3 9 2 Think of column 1 as the referee and column 2 as the referrer. Is there a good way to backtrack who referred who? I would like an output, for this example here to be: 1 1 2 1 3 1 4 2 1 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdlloyd7
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH arrays and variables of variables in C++

Sometimes it is handy to protect long scripts in C++. The following syntax works fine for simple commands: #define SHELLSCRIPT1 "\ #/bin/bash \n\ echo \"hello\" \n\ " int main () { cout <<system(SHELLSCRIPT1); return 0; } Unfortunately for there are problems for: 1d arrays:... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: frad
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variables to bash variables

Trying to do so echo "111:222:333" |awk -F: '{system("export TESTO=" $2)}'But it doesn't work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
2 Replies
Date::Manip::Migration5to6(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			     Date::Manip::Migration5to6(3)

NAME
Date::Manip::Migration5to6 - how to upgrade from 5.xx to 6.00 SYNOPSIS
When upgrading from Date::Manip 5.xx to 6.00, a few changes may be necessary to your scripts. The Date::Manip::Changes5to6 document lists in more detail the ways in which Date::Manip changed, but very few of these actually entail changes to your script. It should be noted that once the changes are made to your script, it will no longer run correctly in 5.xx. NECESSARY AND SUGGESTED CHANGES
The following changes are necessary, or strongly suggested: Reading config files with Date_Init If you use Date_Init to read any config files (if you do business mode calculations, you probably do), you should remove all of the following config variables from your call to Date_Init: GlobalCnf=FILE PersonalCnf=FILE PathSep=* IgnoreGlobalCnf=* PersonalCnfPath=* and replace them with: ConfigFile=FILE where FILE is now the full path to a config file. Also, the ConfigFile argument should be the first argument in Date_Init. Date_ConvTZ The Date_ConvTZ function has changed. It should now take 3 arguments: $date = Date_ConvTZ($date,$from,$to); If $from is not given, it defaults to the local time zone. If $to is not given, it defaults to the local time zone. The date is converted from the $from time zone into the $to time zone. Both should be any time zone (or alias) supported by Date::Manip. The old $errlevel argument is no longer handled. ConvTZ and TZ config variables If you use either the ConvTZ or TZ config variables, you should replace them with either SetDate or ForceDate. See the Date::Manip::Config document for information. The TZ variable will continue to work until Dec 2013 at which point it will be removed. Other deprecated config variables The following config variables have been deprecated, but will continue to function (though they will be removed at a future date): TZ (removed Dec 2013) The following variables have been removed. If you use any of them, you may need to modify your scripts: IntCharSet GlobalCnf PersonalCnf PathSep IgnoreGlobalCnf PersonalCnfPath ConvTZ Internal TodayIsMidnight DeltaSigns UpdateCurrTZ ResetWorkdDay today, yesterday, tomorrow If you parse the strings "today", "yesterday", or "tomorrow" in order to get the time now, or 24 hours in the past/future, this will no longer work. These strings now refer strictly to the date (so "today" is the current day at midnight, "yesterday" is the previous day at midnight, etc.). To get the time now, 24 hours ago, or 24 hours in the future, you would need to parse the strings "now", "-24:00:00", or "+24:00:00" respectively. Do not use Memoize In 5.xx, it was documented that you could use the module Memoize to speed up Date::Manip, especially when sorting dates. This information is no longer accurate. Using Memoize in conjunction with Date::Manip should have little impact on performance, and may lead to incorrect results, especially if you change config variables. Please see the Date::Manip::Changes5to6 (GENERAL CHANGES) document for more information. If you find other instances where it is necessary to modify your script, please email me so that I can add that information to this document. BUGS AND QUESTIONS
Please refer to the Date::Manip::Problems documentation for information on submitting bug reports or questions to the author. SEE ALSO
Date::Manip - main module documentation LICENSE
This script is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. AUTHOR
Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org) perl v5.16.3 2014-06-09 Date::Manip::Migration5to6(3)