Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Indirect variables in Bash
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Indirect variables in Bash Post 302769096 by DFr0st on Monday 11th of February 2013 07:06:48 AM
Old 02-11-2013
Hi,
Yep, that works. Why is it not recommended?

You were right, I made a mistake in the original post but it has now been changed.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Compound indirect variable references

Using bash, I'm trying to read a .properties file (name=value pairs), assigning an indirect variable reference for each line in the file. The trick is that a property's value string may contain the name of a property that occurred earlier in the file, and I want the name of the 1st property to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tkrussel
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Length of an indirect variable

The construct ${#parameter} returns the number of characters in the parameter and ${!parameter} specifies an indirect variable. My question is: How do I combine these two. What I want is ${#!parameter} but this gives an error. Of course I can use: dummy=${!parameter} ${#dummy} but that's a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gone_bush
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash variables

Ummm can anybody help me with this one? Its prob quite simple. I bascially have a file name say J1x2x3x7.dat Im using the file name as a variable in a bash script. Want I want to do is extract most of the file name and make it a new variable expect with say one of the number now a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RichieFondel
2 Replies

4. Linux

How to get an Indirect Variable Value..?

Hi, I've got a small problem. If varible A stores "B" and Variable B stores C, How to get the value of variable B by using only Variable A..? I tried the following but didnt work pease help.. $ var1=vikram $ echo $var1 vikram $ vikram=sampath $ echo $vikram sampath $ echo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickramshetty
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Indirect variable assignment

Hi I have variable A_B=alpha also var1="A" var2="B" I want to retrieve the value alpha using var1 and var2 , somthing like echo ${${var1}_${var2}} that works. Obviously this is receiving syntax error (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumir
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Does SH support indirect expansion like BASH?

Hello, is there a kind soul who can answer me, does the SH support double substitution known as indirect expansion similar to BASH? The syntax for bash is ${!var}. For instance in bash I can write something like this: VAR="value" REF_VAR="VAR" echo ${!REF_VAR} and get the "value"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dimentiy
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Indirect Referral Script

I have a file with two columns of numbers (member IDs): 1 1 2 1 3 1 4 2 5 4 6 1 7 5 8 3 9 2 Think of column 1 as the referee and column 2 as the referrer. Is there a good way to backtrack who referred who? I would like an output, for this example here to be: 1 1 2 1 3 1 4 2 1 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdlloyd7
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH arrays and variables of variables in C++

Sometimes it is handy to protect long scripts in C++. The following syntax works fine for simple commands: #define SHELLSCRIPT1 "\ #/bin/bash \n\ echo \"hello\" \n\ " int main () { cout <<system(SHELLSCRIPT1); return 0; } Unfortunately for there are problems for: 1d arrays:... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: frad
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variables to bash variables

Trying to do so echo "111:222:333" |awk -F: '{system("export TESTO=" $2)}'But it doesn't work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
2 Replies
CHRONICLE-SPOOLER(1)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      CHRONICLE-SPOOLER(1)

NAME
chronicle-spooler - Automatically post pre-written entries. SYNOPSIS
Path Options: --config Specify a configuration file to read. --spool-dir Specify where pending entries are located. --live-dir Specify where the entries should be moved to. Post-Spool Commands: --post-move Specify a command to execute once entries have been moved. Optional Features: --test Only report on what would be executed. Help Options: --help Show the help information for this script. --manual Read the manual for this script. ABOUT
chronicle-spooler is a companion scrip to the chronicle blog compiler. It is designed to facilitate posting new entries automatically upon particular dates. (ie. If you have ten written blog entries in a spool directory it will move them into place upon the date you've specified.) DATE SPECIFICATION
To specify the date a particular entry should be made live you must add another pseudo-header to your blog entry files, as follows: Title: This is the title of the blog post Date: 2nd March 2007 Publish: 15th April 2008 Tags: one, two, three, long tag The text of your entry goes here. In this example we know that this entry will be made live upon the 15th April 2008, and not before. AUTHOR
Steve -- http://www.steve.org.uk/ LICENSE
Copyright (c) 2008-2010 by Steve Kemp. All rights reserved. This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The LICENSE file contains the full text of the license. perl v5.12.3 2011-05-03 CHRONICLE-SPOOLER(1)