Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Indirect variables in Bash
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Indirect variables in Bash Post 302769090 by elixir_sinari on Monday 11th of February 2013 06:53:34 AM
Old 02-11-2013
A not-recommended way:
Code:
eval echo \$leg$path

By the way, I think you meant echo ${!var} instead of echo ${!leg}.
This User Gave Thanks to elixir_sinari For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Compound indirect variable references

Using bash, I'm trying to read a .properties file (name=value pairs), assigning an indirect variable reference for each line in the file. The trick is that a property's value string may contain the name of a property that occurred earlier in the file, and I want the name of the 1st property to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tkrussel
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Length of an indirect variable

The construct ${#parameter} returns the number of characters in the parameter and ${!parameter} specifies an indirect variable. My question is: How do I combine these two. What I want is ${#!parameter} but this gives an error. Of course I can use: dummy=${!parameter} ${#dummy} but that's a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gone_bush
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash variables

Ummm can anybody help me with this one? Its prob quite simple. I bascially have a file name say J1x2x3x7.dat Im using the file name as a variable in a bash script. Want I want to do is extract most of the file name and make it a new variable expect with say one of the number now a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RichieFondel
2 Replies

4. Linux

How to get an Indirect Variable Value..?

Hi, I've got a small problem. If varible A stores "B" and Variable B stores C, How to get the value of variable B by using only Variable A..? I tried the following but didnt work pease help.. $ var1=vikram $ echo $var1 vikram $ vikram=sampath $ echo $vikram sampath $ echo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickramshetty
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Indirect variable assignment

Hi I have variable A_B=alpha also var1="A" var2="B" I want to retrieve the value alpha using var1 and var2 , somthing like echo ${${var1}_${var2}} that works. Obviously this is receiving syntax error (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumir
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Does SH support indirect expansion like BASH?

Hello, is there a kind soul who can answer me, does the SH support double substitution known as indirect expansion similar to BASH? The syntax for bash is ${!var}. For instance in bash I can write something like this: VAR="value" REF_VAR="VAR" echo ${!REF_VAR} and get the "value"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dimentiy
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Indirect Referral Script

I have a file with two columns of numbers (member IDs): 1 1 2 1 3 1 4 2 5 4 6 1 7 5 8 3 9 2 Think of column 1 as the referee and column 2 as the referrer. Is there a good way to backtrack who referred who? I would like an output, for this example here to be: 1 1 2 1 3 1 4 2 1 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdlloyd7
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH arrays and variables of variables in C++

Sometimes it is handy to protect long scripts in C++. The following syntax works fine for simple commands: #define SHELLSCRIPT1 "\ #/bin/bash \n\ echo \"hello\" \n\ " int main () { cout <<system(SHELLSCRIPT1); return 0; } Unfortunately for there are problems for: 1d arrays:... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: frad
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variables to bash variables

Trying to do so echo "111:222:333" |awk -F: '{system("export TESTO=" $2)}'But it doesn't work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
2 Replies
rc.config(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						      rc.config(4)

NAME
rc.config, rc.config.d - files containing system configuration information SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The system configuration used at startup is contained in files within the directory The file sources all of the files within and and exports their contents to the environment. /etc/rc.config The file is a script that sources all of the scripts, and also sources To read the configuration definitions, only this file need be sourced. This file is sourced by whenever it is run, such as when the command is run to transition between run states. Each file that exists in is sourced, without regard to which startup scripts are to be executed. /etc/rc.config.d The configuration information is structured as a directory of files, rather than as a single file containing the same information. This allows developers to create and manage their own configuration files here, without the complications of shared ownership and access of a common file. /etc/rc.config.d/* Files This is where files containing configuration variable assignments are located. Configuration scripts must be written to be read by the POSIX shell, and not the Bourne shell, or In some cases, these files must also be read and possibly modified by control scripts or the sam program. See sd(4) and sam(1M). For this reason, each variable definition must appear on a separate line, with the syntax: No trailing comments may appear on a variable definition line. Comment statements must be on separate lines, with the comment character in column one. This example shows the required syntax for configuration files: Configuration variables may be declared as array parameters when describing multiple instances of the variable configuration. For example, a system may contain two network interfaces, each having a unique IP address and subnet mask (see ifconfig(1M)). An example of such a dec- laration is as follows: Note that there must be no requirements on the order of the files sourced. This means configuration files must not refer to variables defined in other configuration files, since there is no guarantee that the variable being referenced is currently defined. There is no protection against environment variable namespace collision in these configuration files. Programmers must take care to avoid such prob- lems. /etc/TIMEZONE The file contains the definition of the environment variable. This file is required by POSIX. It is sourced by at the same time the files are sourced. SEE ALSO
rc(1M). rc.config(4)