Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Passing awk variable argument to a script which is being called inside awk Post 302769054 by RudiC on Monday 11th of February 2013 06:08:15 AM
Old 02-11-2013
Your idea is correct, but as your code is absolutely unreadable, I only can guess that the variable alDFid is undefined when used to build the external command.
And, of course, you have an unterminated string, i.e. one unmatched double quote (I guess in the printf statement)

Last edited by RudiC; 02-11-2013 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: typo / addendum

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing argument to awk script

I am writing a shell script. Now i need to read in a string and send it to an awk file to compare and search for compatible record. I wrote it like tat: read serial | awk -f generate.awk data.dat p/s: the data file got 6 field. According to an expert, we can write it like tat: read... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AkumaTay
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing awk variable to the shell script

hi; i have a file containing lines like: 1|1069108123|96393669788|00963215755711|2|0|941||;serv:Pps6aSyria;first:0;bear i want to extract the second, third and fourth record of each line and store it in a file ";" seperated this is what i wrote while read line do ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bcheaib
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Passing a variable into an awk script

Hello all, I'm trying to run a script of this format - for i in $(cat <file>); do grep $i <file1>|awk '{print $i, $1, $2}' It's not working - does anyone know how this can be done? Khoom (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Khoomfire
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing argument into awk

i'm trying to pass a numerical argument with function xyz to print specfic lines of filename, but my 'awk' syntax is incorrect. ie xyx 3 (prints the 3rd line, separated by ':' of filename) function xyz() { arg1=$1 cat filename | awk -F: -v x=$arg1 '{print $x}' } any ideas? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prkfriryce
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing non Awk Argument in Awk

Dear Conerned, I am facing a situation where i need to pass an argument which is non-awk variable like day=090319 awk '/TID:R/ && /TTIN:/' transaction.log I want to add this day variable like below awk '/TID:R$day/ && /TTIN:/' transaction.log But it is not working. :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saifurshaon
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing argument to system call in awk script

So, I have this script. It reads a CSV file that has a mixture of object names with IP addresses (parsing out that part I have working), and object names which have a DNS name. I want to be able to run a "dig +short" based off of the name given to me in the line of the awk script, and then deal... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikesimone
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing value as a command line argument in awk script.

I have one working awk command line. Which taking data from the “J1202523.TXT” file and generating the “brazil.dat” file. PFB code. awk '{ DUNS = substr($0,0,9);if ( substr($0,14,3) == "089" ) print DUNS }' J1202523.TXT > Brazil.dat But now I want to pass two parameter as a command line argument... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: humaemo
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing --usage as argument to awk script

I have the awk script below and things go wrong when I do awk -v dsrmx=25 -f ./checkSRDry.awk --usage I basically want to override the usual --usage and --help that awk gives. How do people usually handle this situation when you also want to supply your own usage and help concerning the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem passing a search pattern to AWK inside a script loop

Learning, stumbling! My progress in shell scripting is slow. Now I have this doubt: I have the following file (users.txt): AU0909,on AU0309,off AU0209,on AU0109,off And this file (userson.txt) AU0909 AU0209 AU0109 AU0309 I just want to set those users on userson.txt to "off" in... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: quinestor
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing the value of variable which is read from command line in called script

Hi, I am calling a Perl script in my shell script. When Perl script is executed it asks for a answer to be entered by user from terminal. How can i pass that value from my shell script ?? I know I can change perl script to default the answer but i dont have access to do that so only option i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: varun22486
5 Replies
DPKG-WWW(1)						      General Commands Manual						       DPKG-WWW(1)

NAME
dpkg-www - program to remotely open a WWW Debian package browser SYNOPSIS
dpkg-www [-s|--stdout] [-h|--host host] [query] DESCRIPTION
dpkg-www is used to remotely control a WEB browser and open a dpkg URL on the local host from an interactive shell or script. If the command is invoked while running under X-window the script will try to find an installed X browser to open the specified URL. If not running under X it will try to use a text browser instead. If Netscape is found and a Netscape instance is already running it will be asked to open the dpkg URL on localhost with the optional query supplied on the command line. If there is no browser running, it will start automatically a new one. The functionality provided by this program is identical to running a web browser with the -remote openURL(http://localhost/cgi-bin/dpkg) argument or opening the same URL from within the browser. dpkg-www-installer is an helper application which can configured in the WWW browser for web installation. It should never be invoked directly by the user. OPTIONS
-s, --stdout Redirect output to stdout. Requires one of the text browsers (lynx, lynx-ssl or links) installed. -h, --host host Send the query to a remote host, where dpkg-www must be installed. query Specifies an optional package name, an absolute pathname or a query argument which is passed to the dpkg cgi-bin. See dpkg-www(8) for more information about the use of the cgi. FILES
/etc/dpkg-www.conf ~/.dpkg-www Configuration files for dpkg-www. It is not necessary for these files to exist, there are sensible defaults for everything, but you can specify your preferred www browser with the DPKG_WWW_BROWSER variable, for example: DPKG_WWW_BROWSER=mozilla EXAMPLES
dpkg-www This would open a dpkg URL on localhost listing all the installed packages. dpkg-www bash This would open a dpkg URL asking info on the bash package. dpkg-www -h pisolo bash This would open a dpkg URL asking info on the bash package on host pisolo. dpkg-www 'dpkg*' This would open a dpkg URL listing all packages matching dpkg*. dpkg-www /bin/bash This would open a dpkg URL asking info on the package(s) owning the file /bin/bash . dpkg-www depends=svgalib This would open a dpkg URL listing all packages depending on svgalib. dpkg-www --stdout depends=awk | grep ^ii This would list on stdout all packages depending on awk and grep all lines of installed packages. SEE ALSO
dpkg(8), dpkg-www(8) AUTHOR
Massimo Dal Zotto <dz@debian.org>. Bugs should be reported via the normal Debian bug reporting system. LICENCE
dpkg-www is licensed under the GNU General Public License version 2. September 1, 2004 DPKG-WWW(1)