Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Extract string from XML
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extract string from XML Post 302769048 by mohtashims on Monday 11th of February 2013 05:59:32 AM
Old 02-11-2013
Scissors Extract string from XML

Hi,

I wish to grep for the first instance of <listen-address> value between the first <server></server> tag in an xml file.

Sample xml:

Code:
    <timeout-seconds>1500</timeout-seconds>
  </jta>
  <server>
    <name>Adminserver_DEV</name>
    <listen-address>myadminhost</listen-address>
  </server>
  <server>
    <name>managed_core</name>
<listen-address>secondadminhost</listen-address>
    <ssl>
      <enabled>false</enabled>

Desired Result: myadminhost

If<listen-address></listen-address> is blank or not present in the first <server></server> tag then the desired result should be the hostname of the server excuting the script.

Thank you.!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed extract from xml

I have an xml file that generally looks like this: "<row><dnorpattern>02788920</dnorpattern><description/></row><row><dnorpattern>\+ 44146322XXXX</dnorpattern><description/></row><row><dnorpattern>40XXX</dnorpattern><description/></row><row><dnorpattern>11</dn... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: garboon
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a string from input file and delete next three lines including the line contains string in xml

Hi, 1_strings file contains $ cat 1_strings /home/$USER/Src /home/Valid /home/Review$ cat myxml <projected value="some string" path="/home/$USER/Src"> <input 1/> <estimate value/> <somestring/> </projected> <few more lines > <projected value="some string" path="/home/$USER/check">... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: greet_sed
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

to extract string from main string and string comparison

continuing from my previous post, whose link is given below as a reference https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/171076-shell-scripting.html#post302573569 consider there is create table commands in a file for eg: CREATE TABLE `Blahblahblah` ( `id` int(11) NOT NULL... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract value from XML

I have a file like below <soap:Envelope xmlns:soap="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/"><soap:Body><ns2:executeMDXResponse... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas_ranjan
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

XML - Split And Extract String between Chars

Hi, I am trying to read the records from file and split into multiple files. SourceFile.txt <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unme
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a particular xml only from an xml jar file

Hi..need help on how to extract a particular xml file only from an xml jar file... thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: qwerty000
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

To extract a string between two words in XML file

i need to extract the string between two tags, input file is <PersonInfoShipTo AddressID="446311709" AddressLine1="" AddressLine2="" AddressLine3="" AddressLine4="" AddressLine5="" AddressLine6="" AlternateEmailID="" Beeper="" City="" Company="" Country="" DayFaxNo="" DayPhone="" Department=""... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Padmanabhan
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract strings from XML files and create a new XML

Hello everybody, I have a double mission with some XML files, which is pretty challenging for my actual beginner UNIX knowledge. I need to extract some strings from multiple XML files and create a new XML file with the searched strings.. The original XML files contain the source code for... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: milano.churchil
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I extract XML block around matching search string?

I want to extract XML block surrounding search string Ex: print XML block for string "myapp1-ear" surrounded by "<application> .. </application>" Input XML: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <deployment-request> <requestor> <first-name>kchinnam</first-name> ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
16 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string in XML file with awk/sed with string from another

Sorry for the long/weird title but I'm stuck on a problem I have. I have this XML file: </member> <member> <name>TransactionID</name> <value><string>123456789123456</string></value> </member> <member> <name>Number</name> ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cozzin
9 Replies
IPTABLES-XML(8) 														   IPTABLES-XML(8)

NAME
iptables-xml -- Convert iptables-save format to XML SYNOPSIS
iptables-xml [-c] [-v] DESCRIPTION
iptables-xml is used to convert the output of iptables-save into an easily manipulatable XML format to STDOUT. Use I/O-redirection pro- vided by your shell to write to a file. -c, --combine combine consecutive rules with the same matches but different targets. iptables does not currently support more than one target per match, so this simulates that by collecting the targets from consecutive iptables rules into one action tag, but only when the rule matches are identical. Terminating actions like RETURN, DROP, ACCEPT and QUEUE are not combined with subsequent targets. -v, --verbose Output xml comments containing the iptables line from which the XML is derived iptables-xml does a mechanistic conversion to a very expressive xml format; the only semantic considerations are for -g and -j targets in order to discriminate between <call> <goto> and <nane-of-target> as it helps xml processing scripts if they can tell the difference between a target like SNAT and another chain. Some sample output is: <iptables-rules> <table name="mangle"> <chain name="PREROUTING" policy="ACCEPT" packet-count="63436" byte-count="7137573"> <rule> <conditions> <match> <p>tcp</p> </match> <tcp> <sport>8443</sport> </tcp> </conditions> <actions> <call> <check_ip/> </call> <ACCEPT/> </actions> </rule> </chain> </table> </iptables-rules> Conversion from XML to iptables-save format may be done using the iptables.xslt script and xsltproc, or a custom program using libxsltproc or similar; in this fashion: xsltproc iptables.xslt my-iptables.xml | iptables-restore BUGS
None known as of iptables-1.3.7 release AUTHOR
Sam Liddicott <azez@ufomechanic.net> SEE ALSO
iptables-save(8), iptables-restore(8), iptables(8) Jul 16, 2007 IPTABLES-XML(8)